Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum. I've read through most of the threads and happy to find such a friendly and helpful group. I have been a member of the British Car Forum for years and find this site to be populated by a similarly educated and enthusiastic crowd. I ordered my S5 2 days ago and I am psyched to get my hands on it. I know it will be a while but I am calming myself by reminding myself that it is a lowsy time of year to take delivery of such a beautiful and powerful automobile. I chose Quartz grey with black nappa interior, tech and nav packages. After reading several posts I am wondering if I should upgrade to the stainless or carbon fiber inlays for durability issues. I chose against the alcantara inserts for similar reasons. I look forward to easing my waiting pains on this forum. ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Crosley, a warm welcome to a fellow quartzian. I picked the carbon fiber (fibre for the Brits) just because it looks cool and I'm tired of shiny wood. What I think is interesting here is that in Europe there is much more choice on designing your car, including, I'm told, the ability to pick _any_ color if you pony up an extra $5000. True?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congrats on your order. Hopefully it won't be so long. Did you order B&O? Its prob worth the extra $850 will prob help with resale appeal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
White, No B&O. I am pretty sure the standard stereo will meet my needs and I'll probably just listen to that V8 growl more than the stereo anyway. Thanks for the welcome.:D

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm new to the forum. I've read through most of the threads and happy to find such a friendly and helpful group. I have been a member of the British Car Forum for years and find this site to be populated by a similarly educated and enthusiastic crowd. I ordered my S5 2 days ago and I am psyched to get my hands on it. I know it will be a while but I am calming myself by reminding myself that it is a lowsy time of year to take delivery of such a beautiful and powerful automobile. I chose Quartz grey with black nappa interior, tech and nav packages. After reading several posts I am wondering if I should upgrade to the stainless or carbon fiber inlays for durability issues. I chose against the alcantara inserts for similar reasons. I look forward to easing my waiting pains on this forum. ;)
Congrats! I ordered the Carbon atlas inlays- they look great, but thats a personal opinion. Doubt durability will be an issue.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm told, the ability to pick _any_ color if you pony up an extra $5000. True?
Yes its true but it costs £4000 here in the UK which would be very roughly $8000. A steep price, but then you can have any colour you want.

Crosley, welcome to the forum...when do you expect to take delivery of your car?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Crosley, a warm welcome to a fellow quartzian. I picked the carbon fiber (fibre for the Brits) just because it looks cool and I'm tired of shiny wood. What I think is interesting here is that in Europe there is much more choice on designing your car, including, I'm told, the ability to pick _any_ color if you pony up an extra $5000. True?
Yep, absolutely - it's called Customised Paint, so if you've had a complete taste bypass, you could get a candy pink S5 if that's your thing... Costs £2400 - a bit too expensive for me for what you get and there's nothing wrong with the standard colours as far as I'm concerned - they're all great, although I've still to see even a picture of a Deep Green pearl effect car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Congratulations from a Northern Virginia neighbor.
There are a fair number of pictures of the Stainless Steel (and Carbon) Inlays on this forum. Although I like the idea of the Carbon Fiber, I picked the Stainless Steel to keep the interior a bit brighter and lighter. I ordered my S5 with Meteor Gray with Magma Red Interior. The tight confines of the interior struck me as needing a little bright-work. If you need futher links, let us know.

I do not know if you are a track guy, but the area Audi Club (Potomac-Chesapeake Chapter) gets track time at Virginia International Raceway, a top shelf road course. This is something I am looking forward to.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Crosley,

Forgot to say welcome to the site!

Don't know if it helps, but I had carbon inlays on my S4 (they were standard) and I far preferred them over any of the wood trims. I've said before that there's only one make of car in which wood looks good on the dash, and that's got a silver flying lady at the end of the bonnet!

A5inReston is right when he says the carbon trim can make the interior a bit dark, especially if you've also got the black headlining with those black seats (as I had in my S4). I think the stainless inserts look great although I'm not sure quite how different to the standard aluminium ones they will be. Main difference seems to be the piano black insert on the centre consol with the stainless steel.

Bottom line - go with your instinct and order whatever your heart desires. So long as you're happy, then you'll have made the right choice!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would say that you have made a great choice ! :) congrats for the S5 hope there won't be any delays !
Hope you will love the car! :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Welcome form England! Hope your wait isn't too long... It has been agony for me... especially since as of two weeks ago I am now Audiless. :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
I ordered with Carbon,but the car I took had Stainless and Im glad it did, it def brightens up the interior

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got an mail from my dealer. He had a conference call Jan 5, 08 with his regional Audi rep. It appears there is a "shortage of S5s due to the unexpected popularity of the car" duh!!!! My December order should go in to production in March so he has stated an expected delivery in late May. I hope I can hold on for 5-6 months. I have to say I am surprised Audi did not tool up for this product launch. A5s are supposed to be arriving this spring too. Maybe I should see if I can get an Sline A5 sooner.:confused: Just a thought. Cheers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Crosley,

Did you order the auto tranny? I ordered about the same time you did and my dealer in OC is giving me roughly the same production dates. I know it sucks to have to wait that long:mad:

As the saying goes "all good things come to those who wait" I just didnt think I'd be waiting with so many people......and from all over the planet:eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alta, no I ordered the manual S5. The shame is I let the same car slip through my fingers just before Christmas. I had no idea the production delays were going to be an issue. Good luck with your waiting. I feel your pain. Crosley.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Crosley,
You netioned you were a member of the British Car Forum - I was wondering what your avatar was - looks a bit like a TR6, but I can't really make it out as it's such a small picture, and I'm not sure that's right. What British cars do you/have you owned? Just interested...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've never done the classic car thing, although I very nearly bought a '74 MGB GT when I was a young pup - I got as far as buying several books about how to maintain them yourself, but never actually bit the bullet.

I have helped out considerably with my brother-in-law's '67 Morris Minor which he spent 2 years doing a complete rebuild, including engine strip/rebuild, complete interior strip, new inner/outer front wings, new outer rear wings, all metal forward of the A pillars replaced etc, etc. He lived in Turkey for 5 years with my sister and their family, and I helped him get it back on the road before he moved out there.

I turned up to help them sort out the house and car 1 week before they left to find the car in the garage with the engine & gearbox back in, but no seats, glass, outer wings front or rear, boot lid, bonnet, grill, lights etc. etc...

We managed between us to get it fully built and back on the road, MOT'd and driven from his house in Durham to my parents in London in just 6 days, whilst also packing up the house ready for the new owners and move a family and 2 kids to go and live in Turkey - phew!

He's still got it now, and it's had another engine rebuild since then (that was back in '98 and they now live in Edinburgh having moved back in 2003). Totally reliable too.

Would have loved a TR6 though - lovely engine.

(ps, apologied to Crosley for any appearance of hijacking his thread!)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Carbon Fiber looks good, my dealer is offering a black wood inlay with silver strips but can not show me a picture any one seen it or have a pic?H e tells me it has more class..
2014 S5

1 - 20 of 23 Posts