Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my car....oh man.... she looks so hottt... anyways I'll post pics this weekend after I snap some good ones. Whats the break in procedure if any?

·
Registered
642 Posts
it is in the owners manual i was actually reading it yesterday. I dont remember what the mileage was but it says to only go 3/4 of the top speed on the odometer and do not use full throttle, and not to go anywhere near redline

·
Registered
218 Posts
lol some say wait 1000 miles some say don't redline until after 500 miles... I'm pretty sure these are already 'broken in' motors, as most new cars come... it's just a precaution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keep it below 4000 RPM and 80 mph between 0 and 650 miles and a bit more agressive between 650 and 1000 miles. It is all in the manual. Reading it helps!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Siggy, you laugh... but those are actually the exact words I've had several folks at the dealership tell me about breaking in the car.
Must be fellow NASCAR fans like myself. Is that how you broke your car in TX? I tried to goat a 350z into a race tonight (my former car) ,but couldn't get him to go. Maybe he knew better.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Must be fellow NASCAR fans like myself. Is that how you broke your car in TX?
Well, I was a little reluctant to follow this advice at first. But, since these were seasoned Audi service folks who told me this, and they had been told this by Audi, I felt fairly comfortable with doing it. However, I waited until I got close to 500 miles before I really started driving it like I stole it... just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think both methods are correct depending on what you want from a car.

The "baby it" method described in manufacturers books will help the engine run smoothly, not leak oil etc.... Its good for engine longevity and making sure you have no problems - thats probably why manufacturers recommend this route, so they wont have you back to them complaining about engine faults !! Its not necessarily the best if you want to get the best out of your car in terms of performance though.

The "drive it like you stole it method" will help ensure your engine performes at it it optimum in terms of performance (bhp etc..) but can lead to slightly shorter engine life. Race drivers use this method as they need the car to perform as well as the engine possibly can and dont need to worry about the longevity of the engine as it will probably be replaced every few races anyway.

If you do a bit of searching on the internet you can find lots of things to back up this very basic explanation. Lots of people say vary the revs, never go over 4000rpm etc..., lots go the other route. Dont think either way is right or wrong - which method you use will depend on what you want from the car - performance or reliability

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I think both methods are correct depending on what you want from a car.

The "baby it" method described in manufacturers books will help the engine run smoothly, not leak oil etc.... Its good for engine longevity and making sure you have no problems - thats probably why manufacturers recommend this route, so they wont have you back to them complaining about engine faults !! Its not necessarily the best if you want to get the best out of your car in terms of performance though.

The "drive it like you stole it method" will help ensure your engine performes at it it optimum in terms of performance (bhp etc..) but can lead to slightly shorter engine life. Race drivers use this method as they need the car to perform as well as the engine possibly can and dont need to worry about the longevity of the engine as it will probably be replaced every few races anyway.

If you do a bit of searching on the internet you can find lots of things to back up this very basic explanation. Lots of people say vary the revs, never go over 4000rpm etc..., lots go the other route. Dont think either way is right or wrong - which method you use will depend on what you want from the car - performance or reliability
People might read into this and think they're choosing one or the other -- honestly I don't think it makes a big difference either way. I've never heard of a case, even 200k miles down the road, where someone has faulty rings and someone attributes it to a poor break-in procedure. Just the same, I've never seen anyone comparing dyno sheets and pointing out noticeable variation and saying "wow, it really paid off to break it in that way."

Just drive the car. =)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well, I was a little reluctant to follow this advice at first. But, since these were seasoned Audi service folks who told me this, and they had been told this by Audi, I felt fairly comfortable with doing it. However, I waited until I got close to 500 miles before I really started driving it like I stole it... just to be on the safe side.
Considering the manual tells you to go easy for 1000 miles I don't think your Audi service personnel got their info from Audi.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This feels like the kind of topic that can be discussed for ages without ever reaching a conclusion :p

·
Registered
750 Posts
Considering the manual tells you to go easy for 1000 miles I don't think your Audi service personnel got their info from Audi.
I think the phrase I got (from Boardwalk TX) was to "lay on it" (e.g. the accelerator pedal).

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think if you really care about your car it would be advisable to listen to the book which claims that it's important to give it atleast 1000 miles of break in.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think if you really care about your car it would be advisable to listen to the book which claims that it's important to give it atleast 1000 miles of break in.
Damn 1000 miles... That's what I drove in a year with my last car.

Well I'm planning to take it easy the first couple of hundred miles and then let it rip... just don't know how long I'll be able to hold myself. I've never driven an S5 but I know it'll be hard :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Damn 1000 miles... That's what I drove in a year with my last car.

Well I'm planning to take it easy the first couple of hundred miles and then let it rip... just don't know how long I'll be able to hold myself. I've never driven an S5 but I know it'll be hard :D
1000 miles in a year??:eek: Do you really need a car. I can't imagine only driving 1000 miles in a year letting my S5 depreciate without any miles on it. It is meant to be driven. Take a road trip and soon;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
1000 miles in a year??:eek: Do you really need a car. I can't imagine only driving 1000 miles in a year letting my S5 depreciate without any miles on it. It is meant to be driven. Take a road trip and soon;)
Haha yea I know, I didn't drive it that much... Mostly to work and back, no long road trips. But with an S5 it'll be totally different :D

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
This feels like the kind of topic that can be discussed for ages without ever reaching a conclusion :p
There is a conclusion.

By the time you have thought about making a decision the mileage will be so high you wont need to reach a conclusion. WTF.:eek:

RG

·
Registered
953 Posts
There's a lot of varied opinion about this aspect of car ownership it seems.

I shall see what my dealer says on friday when I pick my S5 up and post his comments, so as to give another point of view.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts