Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally picked up my A5 after what felt like an eternal wait!

It was a great day at Audi, I took a couple of friends and we made the tour of the factory for 2 hours, which left about half an hour for lunch in the restaurant then just 20 minutes to buzz round the museum befrore collecting my baby.

I need to get back on the road, but for now here's few pic's :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thats great! Congrats... great looking color combo too .

I'm jealous.. i wish mine would get here... :p

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That colour is gorgeous..wow what a car.. must be a great experience picking up from the factory, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That colour is gorgeous..wow what a car.. must be a great experience picking up from the factory, thanks for sharing.
+1 and what great colour taste you have :)

It's beautiful Withnail - go enjoy

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Congrats! Car looks great!

·
Registered
39 Posts
There's a little button (plus red light) on the door next to the upper speaker (near the mirror). What is that used for?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Congrats! What a day -- it must have been especially exciting to get it right from the factory!

By the way, your car is just like mine (except for the side assist). Great choice!!! ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,

I personally dislike the multi-quote thing when replying, but I hope you'll forgive me.. :eek:

I've just got back from a nice evening drive, I'm trying to clock-up those 1000 running-in km's as quick as possible!

Trying very hard not to get sucked in to the MMI instead of concentrating on the road!

Thanks Blade, the colour is just as sublime as I was hoping!

Thats great! Congrats... great looking color combo too .

I'm jealous.. i wish mine would get here... :p
Hang in there Houston - I can COMPLETELY feel for you - yours will be there soon too!

Congrats! Car looks great!
Thanks TX!

+1 and what great colour taste you have :)
It's beautiful Withnail - go enjoy
Thanks Marmin, right now, I can't bear being inside!

There's a little button (plus red light) on the door next to the upper speaker (near the mirror). What is that used for?

It's used to turn the Side Assist feature on/off.
Hey Houston, like TX says it's to let you know Side Assist is active.
You see the black sections on the inside of the wing mirrors? They contain LED's that flash if someone is in your blind-spot. They work great! Really helpful feature..

Congrats! What a day -- it must have been especially exciting to get it right from the factory!

By the way, your car is just like mine (except for the side assist). Great choice!!! ;)
Hey a5liz, thank you! Heheh, yeah our cars are cousins! Hope you're still as happy with yours as the day you collected :)

Here's a bit more from today..

The day in Ingolstadt went really quickly. We arrived at 11am and checked in at the customer centre. As our small group were part of a collection appointment we were all given wristbands giving us access to all facilities gratis! This includes all cafe's, bars, restaurants, the Museum and of course the Factory tour.
As I was with a colleague who doesn't speak German, we were lucky enough to score places on the daily English tour.

The tour is very well organised. After being stripped of all cameras, phones and bugging devices :p we were introduced to our guide.
We were then supplied with a little transceiver and headset - strange we thought? Turned out to be essential to hear our guide over the noise of the HUGE presses which stamp out the components and these things can make a lot of noise! We saw the bodywork assembly of the A4 and A5 (B8 shares the same production line) and the finishing of the A3 / Sportsback

It was quite a strange feeling watching the A5's I saw on the line today. These are the cars which in two days will have passed their end tests and be on their way around the globe to their owners, if you're VIN number is due to be available tomorow I've probably just seen your car naked! :p

The body work is assembled with the wonderful ballet of robots, manipulating the huge parts with grace and fluid motion. All welding and brazing is also performed by the robots.

Next up was the paint shop. Wow, it's really something! but don't take my work for it, have a look!

For the final assembly we moved on to the A3 line. This was what I was expecting, the slow rolling production line, with everyone having one task to complete in the time allotted (in the A3 case 88.10 seconds) before moving on to the next car..

I heard a tone chiming away in the background - The Pink Panther tune! ..at first I thought I must have been dreaming, but each part of the line has a different jingle which is played when they are having problems. When a technician is unable to complete his current task in the allotted time, he grabs a cable which runs the length of the line - this triggers the section specific tone which alerts the relevant production manager who is then able to dispatch help quickly and relatively peacefully!

They're not just for when there's problems either.. The breaks are announced the same way, a 2 minute warning before it's over (time to put that cigarette out!) and a back to work tune, which is more of a gentle reminder than a god-awful clanging bell that you'd expect!

Sorry for rambling - just the things which stuck in my mind from my day today!

Cheers all,
Withnail

·
Registered
101 Posts
Awesome car and definately an awesome experience. I'm jealous! ;)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Beautiful car. Congrats! :) Thank you for the interesting read and pictures. Please report more on your experiences when you get the time.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Fascinating write up and beautiful picks.

I'd always considered those wheels a bit too "bling" for an Audi but on your car they look simply stunning.

Nice colour, btw ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Paddle Shift?

Hi - the car looks great - I have the same colour on order, scheduled for build week 27 (next week).

One question, does yours have the paddle shift gearbox? My dealer assures me that this is standard on the Tiptronic, but I can't see the shifters on your photograph.

Thanks

Noel

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Just a thought, when you collect from the factory, do the cars come straight off the production line and into delivery ?? If so they would avoid the transit wax, plastic protection and wash with a broom ritual that risks damage to new paintwork..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi - the car looks great - I have the same colour on order, scheduled for build week 27 (next week).

One question, does yours have the paddle shift gearbox? My dealer assures me that this is standard on the Tiptronic, but I can't see the shifters on your photograph.

Thanks

Noel
Hi Noel,

Yeah, it has shifters, although they're pretty much obscured by the steering wheel.

The fitting depends on your market region. Here in Germany it's an optional extra.

Wk27 build eh? I probably saw your panels being pressed! :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a thought, when you collect from the factory, do the cars come straight off the production line and into delivery ?? If so they would avoid the transit wax, plastic protection and wash with a broom ritual that risks damage to new paintwork..
The cars are in production for 38hrs. A sample of the days production go for additional testing, I saw cars being spot tested for the welding, then some further down the line being tested for water tightness, in what looks like a kind of car wash..

If they are to be delivered they then get filled with a splash of fuel to make it their transportation (domestic = 5l, international =12l) The dealer you collect from should fill to the brim - EVERY DEALER! that's apparently Audi policy..

then they come off the line for final quality control, checking all components - I saw the area they check the windscreen wipers.

Then they get Dyno'd for final engine diagnostics and setting the ECU to market region specifications.

Finally off they go to get packed & wrapped in tape & wax
..or for a final clean if it's to be collected from the factory

Start to finish 2.5 days

·
Registered
90 Posts
.. and in the oil rich middle east we get the car with abt 4 to 5 litres of petrol from the dealer when we pick it up!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Withnail, is you car a 2009 model? If so can you confirm that they now have a AUX in?
Your car is very beautifull, congratulations.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
.. and in the oil rich middle east we get the car with abt 4 to 5 litres of petrol from the dealer when we pick it up!
Strange, they told us on the tour that it's company policy to fill the car up prior to delviery..
Possibly that was just Germany, but I would e surprised as she emphasised ALL DEALERS!

Withnail, is you car a 2009 model? If so can you confirm that they now have a AUX in?
Your car is very beautifull, congratulations.
Hi abhuzinho,

Yes my car is definitely an 09 - it's written in several documents + its a part of the VIN number

I've been using my AMI with a hard disk until now, so I hadn't even tried to find it..

I just went downstairs to have look in the car. It turns out I haven't got one :eek:

There's a little carpet like cover over where I thought it is supposed to be! :mad:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts