Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had my car for 8 weeks today and have just clocked up 1000 miles. No gripes whatsoever. Nothing has gone wrong (apart from the brakes squeeled the first 2 days when coming to a stop), nothing has started rattling, everything is fine and dandy.

This is the best (and most expensive) car I have every owned. Someone approached me at work yesterday and told me that he was quite a keen photographer and would like to take some pictures of my "beautiful car".

His pictures will probably be 10 times better than mine so as and when we arrange for it to happen I will ensure that some get posted. I have just got to try and keep my car clean enough to get to work which is always a challenge in the UK this time of the year !!

:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well I have had my car for 8 weeks today and have just clocked up 1000 miles. No gripes whatsoever. Nothing has gone wrong (apart from the brakes squeeled the first 2 days when coming to a stop), nothing has started rattling, everything is fine and dandy.

This is the best (and most expensive) car I have every owned. Someone approached me at work yesterday and told me that he was quite a keen photographer and would like to take some pictures of my "beautiful car".

His pictures will probably be 10 times better than mine so as and when we arrange for it to happen I will ensure that some get posted. I have just got to try and keep my car clean enough to get to work which is always a challenge in the UK this time of the year !!

:)
Pignpoo-1000miles in 8 weeks!! Are you driving the car or just admiring its looks:) At this rate you won't even get 7000 miles in a year. I've had mine for three weeks and have more miles on it than you with normal driving. It would drive me crazy not being able to drive more than you have but I guess yours will be "newer" in a few years:( All joking aside I agree it is a pretty fantastic car and like you I have no gripes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boomer, I only work 3 miles from where I live. I could walk there in about 45 mins ! I drive it every day but hardly ever go any real distances. I go skiing in the alps every year so I am considering driving to the resort next year as it will only be around 600 miles each way at the most. The car came with a free ski bag so it would be rude to not use it !!;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Pignpoo-1000miles in 8 weeks!! Are you driving the car or just admiring its looks:) At this rate you won't even get 7000 miles in a year. I've had mine for three weeks and have more miles on it than you with normal driving. It would drive me crazy not being able to drive more than you have but I guess yours will be "newer" in a few years:( All joking aside I agree it is a pretty fantastic car and like you I have no gripes.
For you guys in the US I know where you're coming from. Its nothing to do 500 miles a day in the US, the distances across cities or to another town is so big.
Here in the UK gas costs us $ 10 per gallon I am sure you'd think twice about going for a drive. It cost me equivalent of $110 to fill mine up the other day.

·
Registered
338 Posts
For you guys in the US I know where you're coming from. Its nothing to do 500 miles a day in the US, the distances across cities or to another town is so big.
Here in the UK gas costs us $ 10 per gallon I am sure you'd think twice about going for a drive. It cost me equivalent of $110 to fill mine up the other day.
You're right, I would think twice about a leisurely drive at those prices but as I recall much of the price of gas over there are taxes for all the social services like health care which most of us pay for so I guess it evens out a bit.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I dont think twice about a leisurely drive. The car is just so good to drive that you find yourself looking for any excuse to go out.

As you say, we may pay a lot for petrol (although you are catching up by all accounts) but we dont have the healthcare costs. Plus, I believe your housing taxes are far higher than ours as well.

The average mileage in the UK is 12,000 a year. I havent gone above 9,000 for many years and only did 6500 last year. I'm averaging 1000 a month at the moment with the S5 which just indicates how much more I want to drive the car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I dont think twice about a leisurely drive. The car is just so good to drive that you find yourself looking for any excuse to go out.

As you say, we may pay a lot for petrol (although you are catching up by all accounts) but we dont have the healthcare costs. Plus, I believe your housing taxes are far higher than ours as well.

The average mileage in the UK is 12,000 a year. I havent gone above 9,000 for many years and only did 6500 last year. I'm averaging 1000 a month at the moment with the S5 which just indicates how much more I want to drive the car.
Tend to agree about the mileage, I've done 800 mls in 5 weeks without trying. I do think twice about driving locally as the traffic is so bad at times it is as quick to walk and parking is impossible in most towns. This is something you guys in the US don't have to put up with free parking at Malls and multi-lane highways. As for petrol tax paying for health care,if you do visit a hospital they get you where they can with £2 per hour parking, phone and TV by the hour plus drug costs. They stopped building new roads 10 years ago since the decided they attract more traffic.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mileage is why I quit leasing cars since I have a hard time predicting my miles. Generally, I put on around 18,000 a year as does my wife since we tend to try to stay similar on both audis. I found that with leasing I was always watching my miles and it made me feel like I had to restrict my driving. Your're right about our roads being conducive to driving for the most part (outside the metro areas at least). There are quite a few opportunities to flex the s5s muscle. I am actually looking forward to taking my youngest son to college at the University of New Mexico in mid January since he will drive his Jetta TDI while my wife and I drive the s5. Should be about a 3000 mile round trip through mostly open roads in the southwest and some mountainous terrain as well--should be fun(I took a couple extra days off so I could take the longer more mountainous route:) By the way my son has a 4 year full scholarship to play soccer at New Mexico--I thought you Europeans would be interested. We have been overseas multiple times with him to play soccer in England, Scotland, Holland, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain and maybe more (we didn't go on all the trips with him). I did experience your healthcare in London with an injury and came out to find my car in a boot with 2 toothless smiling parking lot attendants extorting me for 75 euros at the time--welcome to London :mad: Loved all the countries and the people:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Be careful of the weather this time of year. It can be 60 and sunny then you get into the mountains and it's a blizzard. It's happened to me in a Corvette
not fun.

·
Registered
338 Posts
good point--that's why I have these Michelin Pilots on;) No really I will be watching the weather pretty closely. Lived in Salt Lake City for 4 years during some training and trips back to the midwest were always a crap shoot this time of year--Maybe will take the southern route. When I was "growing up" I drove 18 wheelers on school breaks during the winter and summer--would you trust a 19 y/o snot nose kid with 80,000 lbs behind them in the mountains during the winter--man my parents were tooooo trusting. Thanks for the advice though:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts