Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Trust me theres a way to get around the inspection. If a cel is what ur worrying about the tune takes it away. If they check to see if u removed the cats then u gotta find a "guy". Gotta pay to play if thats the case
supposedly in mass they'll see if the cats are coded out so it'll fail, don't know personally though.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Trust me theres a way to get around the inspection. If a cel is what ur worrying about the tune takes it away. If they check to see if u removed the cats then u gotta find a "guy". Gotta pay to play if thats the case
So the testpipes are a mandatory meeting with "the guy" then?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Audi S5 V8 Capristo + JHM test pipe

Hi, I currently have a capristo exhaust with middle and rear muffler deleted installed. It's already very loud but I want to go louder now. Can i expect a more agressive and louder sound with the JHM test pipe and a little power gain in the upper end? Did anyone did this before with the capristo flap exhaust? I am looking forward for a reply.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Can nobody reply to my question?
Not sure how much louder you will get after straight piping it. You would surely get some more power tho. I'm waiting for my JHM Xpipe and down pipes to get delivered. Going to talk with the JHM dealer in Dallas about the tune, emissions, and install price for the race pipes in a couple weeks.

Hope that helps

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey MikeTrammel! That would be very kind if you can give me a short reply what they said. I am curious about the approximate time to get the test pipes installed and also about the power gain. I think that it will lose torque in the lower rpm range and gets more horse power in the upper end.

I asked a local "exhaust builder" how much it will cost to get the Jhm test pipe installed and he said that he needs for sure two working days as it is very difficult and time-consuming because he have to remove the gearbox and maybe the engine. His offer was 1400$ (1220€) to get this done. That's very expensive because this price is only for the working hours ... Now I am interested what Jhm says about installing time!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hey MikeTrammel! That would be very kind if you can give me a short reply what they said. I am curious about the approximate time to get the test pipes installed and also about the power gain. I think that it will lose torque in the lower rpm range and gets more horse power in the upper end.

I asked a local "exhaust builder" how much it will cost to get the Jhm test pipe installed and he said that he needs for sure two working days as it is very difficult and time-consuming because he have to remove the gearbox and maybe the engine. His offer was 1400$ (1220€) to get this done. That's very expensive because this price is only for the working hours ... Now I am interested what Jhm says about installing time!
I saw someone post that JHM said it wasnt necessary to remove engine or trans for figment, but I find that hard to believe after taking a look at the cats. I'll update once I talk to the local dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, I want to let you know that I talked with a guy from JHM about the installation time of the test pipes. He said that they are able to do that in about 6 hours. They think that every labor rate over 8 hours is excessive. They also said that neither the transmission nor the engine have to be removed for installing them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys I have my JHM test pipes and get them installed in March. I will post a video then. Currently a capristo flap exhaust with middle muffler deleted and non resonated downpipe is installed and it's very loud by now!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have my JHM test pipes installed and my capristo exhaust is straight piped now. It is abnormally loud!!! It's so loud that I will get deaf when you push it to hard :D But with the valves closed and normal driving you didn't even hear much in the cabin.
I also got pictures of the installation if someone is interested. The mechanic get them installed in about 7 hours although he didn't have done this before on the S5 V8. The engine don't have to be removed but you have to drop the transmission a little bit. He said that it was an enormous "screwing around" but not that bad as he thought.

Decibel measure video before the installation of the JHM test pipes: youtube.com/watch?v=nBTyJngcG1A

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have my JHM test pipes installed and my capristo exhaust is straight piped now. It is abnormally loud!!! It's so loud that I will get deaf when you push it to hard :D But with the valves closed and normal driving you didn't even hear much in the cabin.
I also got pictures of the installation if someone is interested. The mechanic get them installed in about 7 hours although he didn't have done this before on the S5 V8. The engine don't have to be removed but you have to drop the transmission a little bit. He said that it was an enormous "screwing around" but not that bad as he thought.

Decibel measure video before the installation of the JHM test pipes: youtube.com/watch?v=nBTyJngcG1A
Have mine, just waiting to get them installed. Did you use O2 spacers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have mine, just waiting to get them installed. Did you use O2 spacers?

You can already look forward -the loudness is ear-deafening! We wanted to install it because I already bought them but the mechanic had a problem on one side because of the space - the cable of the O2 sensor would have been to close to test pipes and he was woried that it would burn because of the heat so they coded it out for me. In that case they also did a Vmax cancelation and removed the overspeed trip unit in idle.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You can already look forward -the loudness is ear-deafening! We wanted to install it because I already bought them but the mechanic had a problem on one side because of the space - the cable of the O2 sensor would have been to close to test pipes and he was woried that it would burn because of the heat so they coded it out for me. In that case they also did a Vmax cancelation and removed the overspeed trip unit in idle.
Everything good with your readiness for emissions? I just foashed my JHM tune from a EPL tune. It drives totally different. Should tune out and test pipes issue

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I think so they don't test it that way in my country. What exhaust do you have?
JHM xpipe and downpipes (race pipes to be installed). AWE Tuning Touring catback.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wish I could get the test pipes, but, they do a visual inspection here for catalytic converters.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts