Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Richbrook brushed alluminim tax disc holder.:thumbsdown: One of the rear grub screws has worked loose and fallen down the air vent on the dash next to the window. I did not know what the rattle / roll was until I noticed the screw missing and it now makes sense.:wall:

I have a few questions

1) Its stopped rattling and can not be heard. I've tried some hard cornering to see if it can be loosend and tried going over speed humps a bit harder than normal......but nothing. So do I need to worry about it?

.......which brings me to question 2

2) Where will the screw have eneded up / down a hose connector? Is it safe down there or can I expect problems at a later date.

I've tried to recover with a small magnet on a string but no lock. There is no sign of it and Its not visible with a torch.

Should I just forget it?
Your feedback / thoughts are welcome......................and yep the tax disc holder is comming off.

Cheers
Glenn

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
S**t its ratteling about now. Just come back from football in the car and i can hear it rolling around!!!!! aggghhhhhhhhhhhh:yikes:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Take it to the dealer to take out the screw.

Remove the current disc holder you have and install a normal one.

Tell Audi there is a rattle in the car and it seems to be coming from the air vent.

I'm sure they will sort it for you :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I would recommend you get it seen to asap. it could end up in the blower motor and thats probably a dash out job if it does. It might even be sat in some low part of the blower pipes. Lord knows how they will get it out. Why dont you see if you can borrow one of those camera they stick up peoples bums to see what wrong with their colons (endoscopy?) Just make sure its been washed first lol

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your opinions.
I'm not using the car today and will try and locate the bloody thing myself over the weekend. Cos i can hear it its got to still be somewhere in the vent.
The Camera Idea has indeed given me another idea im going to try first
Thanks
Glenn

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And buy one of the twist-back versions to avoid a future repeat!

Good luck mate.....
Ess5ive..............a word of warning if thats the type you have. Its is one with the twist off back........but with machined hex screws as part of the design.......its one of these that dropped out.

Anyway......I have a success story. A torch, 2 bendy straws added to make one long straw, a bit of stickey tape on the end and an 5 mins :2thumbsup:eek:f fishing...........has located the screw. I'm a lucky bugger :)

The tax disc is comming off and i'll look for a twist off without the hex screws on the back.
Thanks to the three of you for your posts

Glenn

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Well done on the repair.. thought this may be a useful tip though.

The old repairers trick when broken glass (toughened) pieces were 'lost in space' was to pour glue into the panel to stick it to the metal. If you can see the screw could you inject some glue to surround it and wait for it to set. Don't leave it flying around though as serious damage could occur.

I'm sticking with my standard tax disc!

Good luck.:moped:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I was not clear with my previous post.....i've been able to get the screw out with the straw and stick tape method described above....The srcew stuck to the tape at the end of the straw and I slowly extratced it from the vent housing..........i'm a lucky sod!!!

Thanks again all:cheers:

G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts