Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed the order form last night for a new S5 Tip and today I picked out the registration number.

Phantom Black with Black Silk Nappa. Satnav, B&O, AMI, Phone Prep - High, Heated Seats, Advanced Key, Parking Plus. Pretty much all the things that I consider vital for me.

It was an order that someone had backed out of and the car remained unregistered. I got about £5k off the list price.

I should pick it up next Friday or Saturday, work permitting and all being well.

I'd like to offer my thanks to those that helped me make the decision in my other thread. It helped immensely.

<- Happy bunny now. :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys

The next six days should go pretty quickly I reckon. Especially as I have some major projects at work that will occupy most of my time and keep my mind from the dragging wait! :D

EDIT: Now to plan my first set of mods. I think spacers will go on first, then a Miltek. I'm not sure whether to go for resonating or non-resonating though.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope you tell your Insurance Company Bah Humbug and what is wrong with the Standard V8 Exhaust :confused:that burble is great as it is IMHO...:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yeah i'll definitely tell my insurance company whatever I do.

The Miltek isn't an urgent thing as I will be happy with the V8 burble for a while. The spacers I think change the look of the car quite considerably.

(Picture from TX's bottomless picture pit)

I'll do some research into spacers I think, in readiness.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah certainly one awsome car the S5 and the A5 isnt to bad either :)
The first S5 I saw up close was the Phantom Black one I test drove on Friday. When I first saw the car, it was from about 30 yards away and front on. It looked jaw-droppingly gorgeous. I couldn't believe how aggressive it looked.

The first thought that ran through my head was "This is my car."

As it happens, it wasn't my car but I will have one very similar very soon.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HighRiseDrifter,

If you're going for spacers you'll almost certainly want to lower as well.

I did view mine with just spacers prior to it being lowered as coliovers weren't available at the time and was loathed to go for H&R springs knowing I would be upgrading to the coilovers within a few months. However as everyone that was at APS that day agreed it looked like it's on stilts so I gave in and splashed out knowing full well it was money down the drain.

In the picture you have above if you look closely at the front wheel arch and imagine that from a full on side view it will give you an idea of what I mean. IMO it reminded me of all those oversized wheels the boyracers run on Golfs without lowered to compensate, damn ugly!

Personal taste of cause but I'd be surprised if you didn't agree once you see it for yourself.

If you've unsure re the lowering and comfort we can always met up for you to test the difference for yourself.

P.S. Congrats on the car, great price and I'm sure you'll believe you've made the right move !
Thanks mate. I'm umming and aaahing about lowering. But you're right about seeing it in the flesh before dismissing it out-of-hand I reckon.

And i'll definitely be up for a meet at some point in the not too distant future. I'd like to find someone reasonably local with VAGCOM too and get the DRLs, voice (if poss) and lap timer sorted, plus anything else that would be useful.

Only five days to go...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Approximately where in West Sussex are you located, and how far do you define as local? I am in Kent near J4/J5 M25 if it helps.
I'm near Brighton. Junction 5 is Sevenoaks I believe?

M25 isn't too bad though. It would be straight up the M23 to junction 7 and head towards Dartford. Shouldn't take me more than an hour on a good day. It would also give me some quality time with the car too. :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
YAY !!!!

Congrats... You were busy while we were in the Lakes... Looking forward to seeing it at the next Norfolk Meet ;)

What time you picking it up Friday... The Audi Place is only 5 Mins from My Norwich Office... I'll pop over and Greet :)
I'm picking it up from Worthing Audi! :D

I decided not to go to the Norfolk one as my local dealer found me a new one in the colour I wanted (Phantom) with the same options for 300 quid more!! :D

The one in Norfolk was an ex-demo.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The dealership phoned today and informed me that my car has had its PDI and has been valeted and will be ready for me to pick up at 5pm tomorrow night after work.

• Insurance sorted
  • Car paid for
  • Music on hard drive in right format and playlisted in readiness
  • Phone sorted.

Oh yes! Here we go!

Expect pictures on Sunday I reckon. Saturday will be spent doing a small amount of driving! :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
JESUS H CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome is not the word. The engine sound is phenomenal.

I only popped back in to grab something to eat. I couldn't get any photos. I'll post some up tomorrow when I can take them in the daylight.

:eek:

For those of you that haven't got one yet, the car is WAY better in the 'flesh' than ANY pictures on here could hope to match.

In my opinion (purely my opinion) Phantom Black makes this car look much better.

I've already had one guy come up to me when I was stopped at a railway crossing and say "What the F*** is that, it sounds incredible?"

<- grinning like you wouldn't believe.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Just got back in after almost 100 miles of driving in the last four hours.

Pity I couldn't have got back home in daylight to take pics but I'll do that tomorrow before I head back out again! :)

I'm actually part of the club now! I'm making a note here; huge success.

First impressions:

In the past i've had various front wheel drive and rear wheel drive cars, but i've never had a four wheel drive before.

In a car that i've only had for a few hours, I was able to take corners in complete safety and confidence at higher speeds that I would ever have considered in my old 911. Four wheel drive makes this car a dream to drive. The engine note is incredible and boy does the car turn heads. I've actually lost count of the number of people who watched me as I drove by. The throaty engine noise drew their attention and the sleek looks held their attention until I had gone out of sight. The car is so low and wide the centre of gravity is nice and low, this makes cornering so much easier. Much less body roll through corners than I am used to too. The road can be heard through the tyres (stock S5 wheels) but this is soooo not an issue as it isn't loud.

I've had two people comment on my car now. One at a level crossing, the other on a pushbike at some traffic lights.

Whilst I wouldn't have chosen the B&O system initially, the sound quality is amazing and i'm glad I did.

The hard drive I had sorted out, although formatted correctly and so on, failed to initialise. It was a Samsung PoS that will get replaced tomorrow morning once I get to the post office and pick the new one up (delivered whilst I was at work today). The USB stick I had in backup worked fine though.

My iPhone synced well but the directory will not show up. I'm not sure if that is me not knowing wht I am doing or if the phone just won't sync. It's a first gen 2G one running firmware 2.something.

Still, first impressions, once I can get this damn erection to go down, are very favourable indeed.

Now that i've driven the S5 and heard the engine, I am so glad I splashed out the extra to get exactly what I wanted. And damn i'm glad I held out for Phantom Black too! :)

Also, my dealership told me to keep the revs below 4000rpm and not to floor it for the first 1000 miles. Definitely no redline.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
After the day I had at work yesterday I was in a foul mood when I got home late last night.

I decided to take the car out for a drive to see if it would help.

Within 30 seconds I was grinning like a loon. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.