Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forums and this is my first post. Although I do end up on this site quite frequently when I have issues.

I have a 2009 Audi S5 B8 4.2L. I just bought the car in 2018 used at 212000km on it. I am having very bad luck and there is ALWAYS something wrong with the car (sorry there was about 7 months I had no issues). I have spent more on repairs at this point than I had actually paid for the car.

My current issue is P2006+P2007 codes popping up as well as the "please turn off engine and check coolant levels" sporadically but will go on and off. Any suggestions as to what this could be? I leave for a 10000km road trip in 8 days. I'm hoping these issues get fixed but if not at least manageable to not break down on our trip. I am going to try to clean the sensors on the coolant tank tomorrow to see if that fixes my coolant issue, as nothing appears wrong level wise.

Any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Need to get your head gasket checked, sounds like a good suspect for oil in coolant :(
I was also checking that out, but there are no other symptoms like white smoke etc.. I'm debating to just let the car do its thing and have a peaceful death :( I love it but nothing ever works properly. I could also buy a new engine for a decently cheap price. Do you think that would improve my issues or do these cars generally have bad luck across the board?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have a good mechanic. But like I said it's just one issue after another. I'm assuming previous owner didn't take very good care of it and I got unlucky. So far things that have been fixed are: new manifold, new engine blocks, valve cover gaskets, new control arms, 2 rotors, window regulator has been replaced on L side, new catalyst, new thermostat, awful oil leak and a few more. On top of that, I currently need my coolant issue fixed. My codes are still coming up for another issue involving manifold, I believe it's a vacuum or solenoid issue. Spark plugs were changed 3 weeks ago (also last summer OEM and began misfiring weekly this summer) and were filled with oil again, like I said ask gaskets were replaced(last year). I change my oil every 5000km so about every month and a half. I don't understand if it's only me or if these cars need to have everything replaced yearly. It does get pretty pricey. I have paid $13k for the car and repairs are up over $15k and that's not including regular maintenance. I'm wondering when it's enough. It is my first ever car so I love it with all I've got but I also can't save any money because of it.

· Registered
252 Posts
If its a financial burden take it to a dealer and trade its in for a newer / lower mileage model, you do seem to have been unlucky. I bought mine heap kowing the issue that neede to be done and priced it accordingly. They were minor issues brake discs poor maintenance of parts. Having brought the car up to date maintenance and parts wise not had any issues or costs other than servicing.

· Premium Member
3,824 Posts
I kind of agree with you both here. The 4.2 S5 needs more attention than a normal car for sure. They are very strong well made cars for sure BUT if the basic maintenance has been skimped on then they will present you with many problems with large bills. My current S4 V8 has 200k kms and goes well cos she has a totally full service history (luckily). I think that I would be tempted to move this one on and trade up to a lower mileage car. Good luck!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.