Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the other 2 features are pretty much pointless - so my question is, is the Advanced Key feature really worth the extra $1700?

That is a lot just for a button!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
As a package it is definitely worth $1700.

The rearview camera will not be pointless to you once you've actually used it. Now whenever I drive someone else's car I get a weird feeling i'm gonna hit something when I backup. I know that sounds like a sales pitch but it really does come in handy. I also am a big fan of the adaptive lights...

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Of the three, I am really looking forward to the parking camera. The way my office garage (which of course is lots of concrete) works, I back into my space 85% of the time. The walls aren't even because of columns and such, and I've got the rear bumper marks to show for it!

Have you guys seen the bit about parallel parking being part of this feature too? Not the type that actually parks you, but somehow guiding you via the camera. Can't remember whether that was discussed here, but I think it was at Audiworld.

The advanced key is also a very cool feature. Not worth $1700 on its own, though, if it's the only feature you value in that package.

No concept of what I'll think about the adaptive headlights, but I doubt it'll wow me.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The rearview camera includes a projected path that shows you where your car is headed by way of blue lines on the screen. It adjusts as you turn the wheel. That along with the beeping when you get too close to something is very handy. Again, when you use it you will get very used to it and miss it when it's not there....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yeah, the rearview camera is a great feature, IMO. I had written a summary of it back in early October (when I saw an S5 demo), but I didn't discuss the parallel parking feature because I wasn't aware of its capabilities at that point.

·
Registered
643 Posts
You can press the top-right MMI soft button ("Mode"?) while the camera is active to toggle between the parallel parking guide lines and the regular parking graphics.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Honestly, if that is all the package offers, I wouldn't get it if you are doubtful. All of the options are convenient (I have them all in my car), but none are must-have.

You can do without the advanced key no problem. YOu should at least get the optional parking assist ( just the diagrams front and back, no camera)and never mind the adaptive lights (useless in town and on the motorway, only useful on very twisty roads at night).

So the real question is is it worthwhile between the cost of advanced park assist (don't know the $$ price) and the $1700 to have the extra benefit of the camera and the 'START' button? Yeah, it's gizmo, but maybe not all that expensive, unless you are sacrificing other options you would prefer.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Honestly, if that is all the package offers, I wouldn't get it if you are doubtful. All of the options are convenient (I have them all in my car), but none are must-have.

You can do without the advanced key no problem. YOu should at least get the optional parking assist ( just the diagrams front and back, no camera)and never mind the adaptive lights (useless in town and on the motorway, only useful on very twisty roads at night).

So the real question is is it worthwhile between the cost of advanced park assist (don't know the $$ price) and the $1700 to have the extra benefit of the camera and the 'START' button? Yeah, it's gizmo, but maybe not all that expensive, unless you are sacrificing other options you would prefer.....
Here in the US these are not ala carte options, you pay for and get all three or none. IMO, the options are well worth the cost. The comments above regarding the rearview camera are spot on. I was skeptical at first, especially because my wife's Odyssey has a rearview camera as well and I never feel comfortable using it and always look out the rear window. But that is because the Honda doesn't have the way-cool blue lines showing you the car, and yellow curvey lines that show your path based on the pitch of the wheel. Adaptive lights are also a big deal, not as big as the other two features, but I had them on my A4 that i just turned in and really liked them and did not want to lose them with the S5. As for the advanced key, I was surprised at how quickly I became not only accustomed to unlocking, starting, stopping and locking the car without having to fumble in my pocket for the keys -- a feature I especially appreciated on the few really cold days we've had so far since I've had the car -- but also at how annoyed I get now when I drive cars that require me to go through the whole pocket-fumble, key in ignition, etc thing. I take that as a measure of how much I actually get out of having the feature -- it's not anything I ever would have thought I neeed or wanted, but now that I have it it is a pain to be without. So, I would spring for the package. You get more than your money's worth.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'd be hard-pressed to order any car that doesn't have keyless entry / start-stop, much less an A5. While that alone wouldn't make it worth the $1700, the Advanced parking system does. IMO, at least :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
I didn't order the tech package, partly to keep the price down. Figured like you that I didn't need a rear bumper camera (had a tester for a weekend, and didn't find it that essential at the time.) But now I'm bummed, and feel like I made a mistake. On my old A6, there was a rear bumper warning radar, so that it beeped as you got close to something. Without the tech package, there is NOTHING on the S5...I haven't hit anything yet, but I know I will. So I've saved $1700 for now, and will give some of that back when I turn it back in at the end of the lease.

I would say order it...

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I'd be hard-pressed to order any car that doesn't have keyless entry / start-stop, much less an A5. While that alone wouldn't make it worth the $1700, the Advanced parking system does. IMO, at least :p
Well, you still get keyless entry, right? I mean there is a button on the fob to unlock the car regardless of whether you get this package. I mainly bring this up because my B5 A4 doesn't even have that (and it was so far at the leading edge of the '96 A4 line that they can't even install it after the fact!).

That's right, guys. I will be going from having to put a key in the door to never having to look at a key again. I'll be like one of those people who comes out of a coma to find out that people are using hovercrafts :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
By keyless I meant not having to ever take the keys out to open the door, trunk, start the car, etc. (but you probably knew that :p)

And that IS a big step up, lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Yeah, it was more to make it clear that keyless for some of us (or probably just ME) still means something short of this Audi feature.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My biggest like of the camera system is safety of kids. Every house on my street has kids. Currently ranging from 2 years to 67 year old. However most are pre-teen and just don't pay attention. Backing out of my garage during evenings or weekends there are usually half a dozen kids playing in my drive. It gives peace of mind knowing that I can see when one of them runs behind the car.

I thought I would least use the keyless entry, start, etc. but I have found it to be really helpful.

I don't drive on to many unlit streets so the adaptive lights are cool but not needed for me. On the one occassion I did have need for them they worked excellent.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
This is gonna make me look really stupid, but a couple of weeks ago I started my car prior to opening my garage because it was cold and windy. I can't remember what it was but something got my attention for about 30 seconds and I sat in may car. Well, I started to back out with the garage down and the warning beeper starting going berzerk and I stopped just before I plowed into my garage door!

Just for saving me that embarrassment it was well worth it for me.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is gonna make me look really stupid, but a couple of weeks ago I started my car prior to opening my garage because it was cold and windy. I can't remember what it was but something got my attention for about 30 seconds and I sat in may car. Well, I started to back out with the garage down and the warning beeper starting going berzerk and I stopped just before I plowed into my garage door!

Just for saving me that embarrassment it was well worth it for me.....
Good thing. BTW, a few more minutes sitting in your garage with the car running and the door closed, you might not have been posting anymore and you would have happily traded the problem you were looking at for a garage door with a hole in it and a bent rear bumper. Would have been a hell of a way to go though, you would have been happy taking your leave behind the wheel of your baby. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
My biggest like of the camera system is safety of kids. Every house on my street has kids. Currently ranging from 2 years to 67 year old.

You have some really old kids in your neighborhood:D .

On a serious side, I think the option is worth the price. Did you ever get you key out to unlock the door only to drop it in a puddle or worse 12 inches of snow that you now have to dig through to find it? Driving in my neighborhood there are a lot of winding roads. My
MB E 500 (a piece of junk that I wish I never bought) has adaptive lights. I see the deer much faster with these lights than without (at least around the bends) and have had no deer accidents with this car. Regarding the rear camera. My wifes Lexus LX 470 has the camera and I agree, most importantly it is great to know that a child isn't standing behind the car. One time many years ago when I was in college, I was getting ready to back out of my driveway. I hesitated for a moment thinking I may be forgetting something that I needed to take with me. During that hesitation I noticed a few hairs sticking up over my trunk lid- a four year old boy. Talk about inducing instant tachycardia, my heart must of been goin 250 bpm. I got out of the car and yelled at the little boy, trying to teach him a lesson. Can you believe his mother started shouting at me:eek: ! Anything that helps to prevent what could have happened that day is worth 10x the price of this option.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'll add my $0.02 on the adaptive lights. I thought they were just a gimmick at first, but after having them for a little while, you really do appreciate them. Especially on unfamiliar roads, it is nice to see into the corner that much sooner. Of course they are not worth $1700, but they aren't worthless, either!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Gees guys, I thought at least one or two of you would have found my comment funny.:(
I did. However I posted it in the first place as a joke.:D I didn't feel post whoring was in order here. But now I get to add on anyways.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts