Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at new entry-level luxury coupes: Audi A5, C300, M240i (yeah I know this one's in a slightly different segment). So far, it seems like the A5 is the best all-around. MSRP and option prices cost less, comes with more standard options, it's a lot faster than the c300 and not too far behind the 2-series.

Anyone have things to add re: pros and cons of the A5 vs it's competitors?

Suggestions are welcomed!

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Hi Joe and welcome...

As you recognise the m240 isn't apples for apples.
And given this is an audi forum we are unlikely to come up with recommendations for the other two marques.
Just be aware the 5 is being face lifted a bit and tech revised for autumn 19, so assuming you are stateside, model year 2020.

I would consider a g70 or stinger but then I am not badge conscious.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you are in the USA, the 2018 model year is the 1st year of the 2nd generation. Although 1st gen A5 reliability has been pretty solid the last few model years, I would still avoid the first model year of any VW/Audi cars. I've had 3 VAG cars and the closer they are to the first release, the more problematic they are. It usually takes VAG about 3 - 5 years to work out all the defects.

They are constantly updating the part numbers over the years. For some reason, they always start cheap (i.e. plastic/rubber) until lots of cars have problems, which leads to a recall/steal service campaign. Then they try to update to a little better, but still cheap, so you won't get a good revision until the 3rd or 4th try. Examples are the timing belt tensioner, the EGR valve, guides, DSG mechatronic, power window, door lock, radio, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Joe, I bought an '18 A5 last September, after 33 years of being a Saaboholic. I did compare it directly to the BMW 440i, and the Benz E-400 (yes, that's actually a class higher, but the dealer had a leftover '17 model they were desperate to get off the lot, and the price was comparable).
I test drove all three, the A5 and the E400 twice, but nothing else compared to the Audi. Many EweTube reviewers said the BMW steering felt "heavy", while the Audi was a bit "light"; I'd agree with that 100%, but the lightness felt great to me. The A5 steers and handles better than anything I'd tried, by quite a margin! I am getting used to an automatic transmission; this is my first and I'm 59.
Another competitor for me, was actually the S5. Looks essentially the same, but nearly a full second faster 0 to 60 mph. Was that worth an extra $12,000? For me, no (the braking distance and skidpad performance were actually a bit worse, due to the excess weight). Getting 35 mpg on the Interstate is also great.
Let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at new entry-level luxury coupes: Audi A5, C300, M240i (yeah I know this one's in a slightly different segment). So far, it seems like the A5 is the best all-around. MSRP and option prices cost less, comes with more standard options, it's a lot faster than the c300 and not too far behind the 2-series.
http://tradevenue.se/
Anyone have things to add re: pros and cons of the A5 vs it's competitors?

Suggestions are welcomed!
Thank you my issue has been solved,...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts