Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the specs for the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol and it seems the bigger 2.0 is not only faster and more powerful but it also has better CO2 emissions and better fuel economy. Is this correct ?

These are the figures i have seen

1.8 TFSI, 2.0 TFSI FW

0-60 - 8.4 , 6.9
Max Torque - 250 , 350
BHP - 170 , 211
CO2 - 169 , 154
MPG - 39.8 , 42.8

Anyone know why the bigger engine is more efficent and are they going to make some changes to the 1.8 to make it more efficent too. The tax here on the 1.8 is higher than the 2.0 and the running costs seem to be similar.

The 2.0 is approx. €6000 dearer but i think thats the road i'll be heading down when i order in Sept. A 2.0 with S-line pack

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I havnt heard about any changes to the 1.8, but your right the CO2 emissions are less, and the MPG is just better :(. Fucking Audi!!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I believe the reason for the better emmisions and economy is down to the fact that the new 2.0 TFSI uses the new Audi valve lift system which also helps it produce that bit more torque and power too.

I don't think the 1.8TFSI has the valve lift system.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I doubt they would phase it out so early in the life cycle. Sound like a hell of an engine though, those figures are incredible.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
"Planned for the higher-cost applications of the 2.0T-FSI like Audi's A4 and A5, an even more efficient and powerful 2.0T-FSI will come equipped the company’s unique new valve control system known as valvelift. This component alone is good for five percent better fuel economy, but it also further augments torque, making turbocharged applications like our A5 2.0T mule feel like a brawny naturally aspirated V6.

Unlike other bulky and complex systems, valvelift is cleverly simple, with control directly on the camshafts that allows for lightning quick adjustment – just two turns of the crankshaft. Employment of valvelift provides the ability of the engine to dethrottle intake under partial load. By varying patterns of the two inlet valves, the charge is specifically tuned for optimized consumption and power. Where this seriously translates into fuel savings is pulling at constant speeds under partial loads – basically highway and even high-speed autobahn cruising.

Currently, Audi claims the system is stable at engine speeds reaching 7,200 rpm, suggesting a wide compatibility for valvelift applications in Volkswagen Group offerings will eventually be seen. However, valvelift is not yet compatible with high-revving mills like the 4.2-liter V8 found in the RS 4 and R8."

Taken from Fourtitude.com :- http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/article_3658.shtml

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think this is made more interesting by the 2.0 TFSI 180 hp option available in some markets already for ordering. The 170 hp 1.8 TFSI doens't seem to line up too well with a 2.0 TFSI 180 hp option that is much superior in power and emissions...

Interesting to see what happens to 1.8 TFSI when 2.0 TFSI 180 hp spreads more widely, the French don't even list 1.8 TFSI A5 anymore, just the 2.0 TFSI options.

One option is that 1.8 TFSI will be downgraded to 160 hp at some point which would allow it to better line up with the 180 hp and 211 hp 2.0 TFSI options (and the 170 hp 2.0 TDI that is coming too).

In fact, 160 hp 1.8 TFSI is available already for the A4 and it has been rumoured to be an option for the A5 Cabriolet. Personally I wouldn't be surprised it the 1.8 TFSI 170 hp is phased out soonish on the A5 Coupé as well, in effect replaced by the 1.8 TFSI 160 hp version and the 2.0 TFSI 180 hp version.

·
Registered
10 Posts
WOW... well I'm glad I decided to order the 2.0 TFSI Sport - this looks like a much better alternative alround than the 1.8, worth the £2k additional investment in my opinion...

Thanks for the info - I didn't know all that has been mentioned..

·
Registered
337 Posts
and you can opt for quattro on the 2.0 TFSI which is not an option on the 1.8.

·
Registered
183 Posts
How sad they decided to come out with these updates now, now that I've gotten my 1.8. God!!! I hate things like this. Oh well, that's life I guess. :(

·
Registered
714 Posts
Get your orders in now, boys and girls, 'cos these are going to sell like hot cakes.

The only solace I take from all this 2.0T news is that at least I've had my 1.8T for almost 2 months now. My understanding (from other posts here) is that production on the 2.0T doesn't start until September so there's going to be a rather large backlog to get through as the news starts to get out ... it's still two and a half months to September!

Actually, I'm bound to my 1.8T for another 2 years and 10 months so if I order now my 2.0T might just turn up in time ;)

Yes, I'm bitter that the 2.0T looks like it trounces the 1.8T in all respects for a very modest premium but those of us with 1.8Ts musn't lose sight of the fact that they're still great cars.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've been given a week 27 build on a 2.0T and expect delivery in July. It turns out that 2.0T delivery is much faster than 1.8T at the moment (I was given November on a February order:eek:). Mind you, I'll believe it when I see it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
[email protected]!!!
This has really got me thinking now. My 1.8 multitronic is due in within the next month (being built this week) but the 2.0 does sound like a much better option all round. Only thing is that I can't get any definite info on when the 2.0 auto will be available.

What would you guys do - stick with 1.8 auto or switch to 2.0 manual? :confused:
I don't mind waiting a bit longer for delivery.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd switch to the 2.0 quattro manual if i was still waiting.
If it is being built this week you will not be able to change the order I suspect; but maybe it is worth a go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry - I probably didn't make myself clear.
What I would do (if I went down this route) is to use my deposit against a new order for the 2.0. The dealer had indicated that I would be able to do this eg if I found an Audi approved used model that I wanted to go for instead of the new one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Several folks, me included, have changed orders from 1.8T to 2.0T when it became obvious there was a significant improvement in terms of performance, without a reduction in economy. Hopefully the 2.0T will start coming off the line soon, as G8OFA has been told his will come earlier than his 1.8T was due.
I would change to 2.0T quattro manual which will probably not cost much more than your 1.8T multitronic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2.0T! Never hear a word about upgrades when you buy a car do you?!? I traded my A4 2.0T in on an in-stock 1.8T A5 in March, mainly because the deal was too good to turn down and by the time an ordered A5 would have arrived, my A4 would have shed a bunch more value (plus I took delivery 3 days later :D)I do miss the extra 30bhp of the A4 a little bit but I'm more than happy to be driving an A5 -with an uprated 2.0T motor it would be even more fantastic though.....:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts