Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:would you s5 owners say that speed is an issue with driving the s5 and its v8 engine, as of right now all im used to is a 2002 v4 honda accord,:( im scared that i will turn into a speed demon and my pockets will be hurt by the high amount of speeding tickets

·
Registered
103 Posts
well, there is a speed warning you can set... and let's be realistic, the roads are so congested around here that how many opps do you have to really go that fast? i'd say cruising around 80 will probably be your average when the roads are "clear" and if you keep a good eye out for smokey, you should be OK. that's been my experience anyways.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hate to nitpick...but your accord doesn't have a V4. It's an inline 4-cylinder, as opposed to the V configuration of many 6-cylinders and nearly all 8-cylinders.

And upgrading to a bigger engine is rarely a reason for uncontrolled high-speed cruising. It still has a speedometer you should be looking at. The only risk is that when you're still getting used to it, you may overshoot the legal speed on a frisky acceleration. Just don't let your right foot's muscle memory do your thinking for you, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Well it is a very willing engine and a very quiet ride, so it is sometimes possible to forget just how fast you're going. As a result, I tend to use the cruise to make sure my speed doesn't keep 'creeping-up' whilst cruising and I have the speed warning set to 100 in case I get too enthusiastic whilst overtaking or just having fun, because 100 is the 'unwritten' threshold in the UK where you will receive a driving ban.

...But Like Dave says... it's not really a problem.

:D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I find that the more powerful the car the slower I tend to drive, if you push the S5 the speed rises beyond an average drivers skill level fairly quickly. By contrast I thrash our family (new shape) Fiat 500 1.3 multijet to its limits, purely because its fun and difficult to get into trouble with and although its not the quickest car around by a mile it'll still hit our legal limits pretty quickly. I had a DB9 for a couple of years and never drove it hard, also have an XKR at the moment and I drive that like Miss Daisy. That said the S5 has had some 'entertaining' drives !!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Exactly what Blade Said. I use to drive a Civic Type-R. I still miss her because she was so much fun. I pretty much had my foot down all the time in that car.

When you own something like an S5, first thing you want to do is drive sensible (Costs a lot of money). Another thing is, if your use to a quick car like a boy racer, then when you step into an s5 its a completely different league. Power delivery is the biggest change.

When i stepped into the S5 from a Type-R, it took a while to get use to how quick the car red-lines. Sometimes your driving along thimg your doing about 60-70mph, then you read the digital speedo and realise your at 100!!!!

After a few weeks practise it becomes perfect like any other car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I figure I am now travelling 15-20 kph faster at any given moment than in my last car. The reason? It does it so easily, and it's so quiet apart from the distant rumble of the magnificent engine....oh yeah I can see myself getting into serious trouble - but I'll be smiling!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sometimes your driving along thimg your doing about 60-70mph, then you read the digital speedo and realise your at 100!!!!
+1 on that!

If you are in the US (most of the US), purchase a good radar detector (depending on the state a laser jammer helps too). ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Speeding is always an issue with any car. All "A" personalities, like me, tend to push the limits. In these times, I tend to watch the mpg message. That's the reason I chose the A5 over the S5. I love the looks of this car, but the S would have cost me a lot more money in gasoline alone. But I really do miss the acceleration and especially the exhaust sounds from that stunning V8.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How fast have you gone?

I do notice that I drive faster, a bit anyway. I had a chance to really push it last week and hit 134. It was pretty amazing. Felt like 80-90, very stable and actually comfortable. Only real concern was DEER! Look out Rudolph!

I want to know what the limit is like though.....anyone?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I do notice that I drive faster, a bit anyway. I had a chance to really push it last week and hit 134. It was pretty amazing. Felt like 80-90, very stable and actually comfortable. Only real concern was DEER! Look out Rudolph!

I want to know what the limit is like though.....anyone?
Haven't made it there yet, I have been to 140+ but it's not the limit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts