Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't realise I missed this off the order, is it possible to retrofit?

I thought it was only the install of a button and playing around with the settings on the computer?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't know if it is, but if not I wouldn't worry. It only serves as a tool of infuriation. It doesn't always disengage and when this happens the motor can sometimes stall, mostly at traffic lights where you're at the front of a big queue. It comes on when you're inching forward into a tight parking space and this can cause you to shout at it and lose concentration. When you actually are on a hill you may find yourself rolling backward due to not enough throttle, or shooting forward due to too much. It needs switched on everytime you start the car and you may forget this, thus causing you to, perhaps, roll away whilst you think the brake is on. And, worst of all, it's the work of the devil because it knows when you come to the end of your journey and rather than engage hold mode it actually fully applies the handbrake, almost as if it's aware that your about to get out the car. This will cause you a few minutes of thinking to yourself 'what the f***' before you realise that taking your seat belt off causes this and not really witchcraft.

I imagine it has it's advantages though.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I think it's a waste of money in all honesty. It's simple enough to put the electronic hand brake on when your on a hill. And the hand brake automatically releases when you start to move anyway.

I'd see the point if it were a manual hand brake, though.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I use it all the time and think it is brilliant. You switch it on, forget about it and let it get on with it. It does take a bit of getting used to initially, but once you have, it's ace!

BTW, Hill-Hold assist is a bit of a misnomer - just treat it a an automatic hand brake that engages and disengages as and when required i.e. stopping and going :).

Don't know whether it can be retro-fitted though.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I think it is a brilliant feature and if I was buying again now it would be high up on my list of requirements.

As reb says, it is misnamed in the UK. Its not hill hold but auto hand brake. Although it works well on hills as well.

·
Registered
871 Posts
One of the best £45's I've spent.
If people have a problem with it when manouvering then turn it off, although I cant see why this is a problem as the system only applies the brakes when the car is at a dead stop, at least thats what mine does.
If the brake assist activates before the car has stopped I would get it checked out

·
Registered
457 Posts
I thought this was a strange feature to offer. I guess since I have been driving manual transmission vehicle's my whole life, with the exception of my SUV's, I've managed to become good at starting off on hills. I could see something like this being useful for someone just starting out with a manual transmission. However, after reading some of these posts I guess many of you like the feature. Of course, I am basing this off never having driven a vehicle equipped with hill assist.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't have it, and personally if I'm on a hill, it's a doddle to apply the electronic handbrake. If I was ordering from new, then £45 seems a bit of a no brainer.

But then again, I suppose I'm not missing what I don't have!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
It seems to be a love it or hate it thing.

Personally I love it. It's extremely useful in stop/start traffic ... especially on the motorways when they get congested.

Also, as it starts to get darker now summer is over, it's more noticeable when people sit there with their foot on the brakes dazzling you with their brake lights so I try to avoid doing it to others.

It should also be useful if you're ever unfortunate enought to get rear-ended ... might just save you being shunted into the car in front (because we all leave longer spaces than usual so people can see the DRLs, don't we?)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I thought this was a strange feature to offer. I guess since I have been driving manual transmission vehicle's my whole life, with the exception of my SUV's, I've managed to become good at starting off on hills. I could see something like this being useful for someone just starting out with a manual transmission. However, after reading some of these posts I guess many of you like the feature. Of course, I am basing this off never having driven a vehicle equipped with hill assist.
Also I think the hills in the UK are crazier than they are in North Carolina. I'm originally from VA and recall that it's pretty flat out there. I'm pretty fluent with a manual transmission, but I could see its usefulness in, say, San Francisco. But as Rab88 said, you can just engage the parking brake manually if and when you need it.

-Ray

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys - this thread reminds me of marmite lol

anyone know though if it can be retro installed?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
All the parts required to retro-fit Hill-Hold assist are available from this link

·
Registered
46 Posts
haha - love it Reb!

I've got the hill hold assist option, and DO tend to use it - especially when sat in traffic etc, but there's times when it behaves just plain oddly. There's times (quite a lot of times) where I can be slowing down and it just cuts whilst I'm still doing 2 miles an hour, meaning the car just comes to a very sudden jerky standstill.
Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
haha - love it Reb!

I've got the hill hold assist option, and DO tend to use it - especially when sat in traffic etc, but there's times when it behaves just plain oddly. There's times (quite a lot of times) where I can be slowing down and it just cuts whilst I'm still doing 2 miles an hour, meaning the car just comes to a very sudden jerky standstill.
Anyone else experience this?
Don't get me started!

Have you tried revving the engine whilst it's engaged when you are pointing down-hill? it just disengages!! ... I tried it again last week in a sloping parking space I needed to reverse hill-start so I decided to engage it and as I revved the engine (before starting to release the clutch) it just decided to release me, sending me rolling towards the car in front and reaching for the foot brake in a panic. I tried it again to be sure... same thing happened. So I turned it off and put on the handbrake in the normal manner and that worked fine, only releasing when the clutch started to 'bite'. I think that's the last time I shall ever use that button. It's next to useless.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
MIne doesn't disengage with the accelerator. It releases just as it gets the bite.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts