Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that Meteor Grey was only available in Pearl effect. I was on the Audi UK web site though trying to find pics of Meteor Grey A5's and S5's and some said Meteor Grey Metallic, and some said Meteor Grey Pear effect ?

Is it available as both or is this just a mistake on the site from the dealers who put up the ads for the cars ?

I have a Meteor Grey ordered in Pearl, but i'd consider getting a Meteor Grey Metallic if it was possible

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think they just do it in the one shade of 'dull' IMHO:D:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Meteor Gray Pearl

I'm pretty sure that for Meteor Gray, Pearl is the only option. Only the Ice, Monza, Quartz and Sahara show up listed as metallic. Besides the Audi site, if you go to http://autos.yahoo.com/audi_a5_coupe-colors/ there's a good A5/S5 color comparison.

There's also been a lot of discussion on this A5OC site on the topic of color, with several strong opinions. If you do a search you'll find a good number of threads on the subject.

I wrestled with deciding between the various silvers and grays before choosing the meteor gray for the A5 that I ordered.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Why do they call it meteor? Surely "oil spill grey" would be a better description.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The thing with A/S 5's is that when driving in one and you suddenly come across another of a different color you are so pissed because you are so certain you should had gone for it instead of yours. All this untill you park, bip-lock and and turn around to peep at yours after you've lapsed half the way to your doorstep and all of a sudden it becomes so profoundly apparent why you didn't go for the other colour and took the plunge for the one laying before you. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oil spill gray! LOL! fully agree, looks great in pics but dull in real life.

Guys check out "lava gray"! its wicked but its only available to the A5 and A3

i ordered mine in meteor gray, then i changed it once i saw one on the road. tried to get lava gray but it'll cost me an additional SGD10000+ (about GBP3500) after tax and all that crap. So i got mine in phantom black and i'm gonna go to a painters to respray it in lava gray after it gets a few scratches. it'll only cost a third of the price my dealer quoted!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Lava Grey is another of those "complex" Audi colours - I was going to get it on my A3 Sportback until I actually saw it. Most of the time it looks like an off black but can take on a rather odd dark brown hue.

Personally I much prefer Meteor to Lava. If you really are considering a respray have you checked out Daytona? Gorgeous.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Now You've Done It!

Alright guys, you've gotten me paranoid about my decision to go with Meteor. Between "dull", "battleship" and "oil spray" grey... sheesh. Someone once posted a close-up shot of Phantom Black. Would someone be so kind as to take a close up of Meteor?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Meteor is definitely not battleship - that's quartz on a day with flat light. It's kind of pointless getting a swatch of Meteor because it's such a complex colour. On the samples they have in the paint books in the dealers it looks gorgeous. In fact when sparkly clean in bright sunlight with the right surroundings it looks positively stunning.

We're only joking with some of the analogies - don't worry about your choice as long as you clean car.

Go to http://usedcars.audi.co.uk and filter for A5s that are grey and you'll see a huge variation in the way the Meteor cars look based purely on the lighting conditions and surroundings.

Take a look at this one http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=502099543 and that's probably the worst pic of Meteor I've ever seen - it shows the greenish hues that others have mentioned on other posts here. The thing is, this is a really unflattering pic of an A5 (rather than S5) and it still looks great.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree with TLU on Daytona Grey. It's the most stunning dark grey and will probably be a rare sight out there! Well if the extra cost is not a serious issue for u my vote is with Daytona!

Good luck deciding!
Regards :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
yeah i've checked out Daytona Gray too and its gorgeous i agree.
but personally i'm a fan of really dark grays cos they look stunningly elegant at night, especially under street lights.

my previous beemer was "sparkling graphite" and that was a beautiful colour. (despite its borderline-camp name) i hated the look of the car but i loved the colour!

oh but i did c a R8 in the other day in daytona gray and WOW! it look good!
but then again its an R8 so i'm not too sure whether it would have look as good without that colour.......

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Watch it! (Mr imaginative - 'any colour I like so long as it's......err, black'
;)
I know, I know, Have ordered Audis in Deep Sea Blue, Lava Grey, Oyster Grey and altered order when seen in the flesh. Family despair of my love of Black but currently not any Black. Phantom Metallic really is a cracking colour and very practical, our 5th arrives tomorrow. BONUS.. No need to keep buying new touch up sticks!!:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the problem with the folks in the UK on Meteor Gray is that they never really get to see the beauty of the color due to the lack of sun. lol In Arizona the sun is out 300 + days a year and the color in real life is awesome. You can see the metallic flakes in the paint, and the color changes based on the angle of the sun. I think you would appreciate the color more if you took a trip to the sunny state of Arizona. lol Picked her up two days ago.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think the problem with the folks in the UK on Meteor Gray is that they never really get to see the beauty of the color due to the lack of sun. lol
I think you are right there, not a lot of sun! BUT at least we don't have to put up with 6 months of Election tosh!!:D:D It really sucks:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oil spill gray! LOL! fully agree, looks great in pics but dull in real life.

Guys check out "lava gray"! its wicked but its only available to the A5 and A3

i ordered mine in meteor gray, then i changed it once i saw one on the road. tried to get lava gray but it'll cost me an additional SGD10000+ (about GBP3500) after tax and all that crap. So i got mine in phantom black and i'm gonna go to a painters to respray it in lava gray after it gets a few scratches. it'll only cost a third of the price my dealer quoted!
Mike
As a Singaporean currently living overseas - mind if you I ask you how much the A5 set you back over there ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Meteor is definitely not battleship - that's quartz on a day with flat light. It's kind of pointless getting a swatch of Meteor because it's such a complex colour. On the samples they have in the paint books in the dealers it looks gorgeous. In fact when sparkly clean in bright sunlight with the right surroundings it looks positively stunning.
Thanks for the information. I was asking for the close-up not for the color itself but to see how metallic flakes look compared to Daytona (which I have seen in person and in close-up photos.)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Meteor grey is only nice when it's dark outside, and if you car is spotless. In other conditions it looks really dull to the point of being rather ugly in fact. Meteor grey was my 1st choice when I saw it sitting in the show room with proper lighting, but I've seen since then a few on the road, and they looked boring. Oil spill grey was a good description :)

I switched my choice to Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect.

I regret the lava grey is not available. I had an A3 in lava grey a few years back, and it looked great. My bro's got an A4 B8 in lava grey and it's stunning. The only problem is I found this color very sensitive and hard to maintain for scratches would show very quickly even if doing hand car wash with special fabrics.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.