Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried out the B&O system today, and my first conclusion is, that it is way off (down!) from the quality level of the Bose system in my previous S4! :(

(see other thread for details)

One question: is it possible to put off the whole B&O DSP stuff (it is possible to put-off Bose in the S4/TT via VAG-COM)?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I tried out the B&O system today, and my first conclusion is, that it is way off (down!) from the quality level of the Bose system in my previous S4! :(

(see other thread for details)

One question: is it possible to put off the whole B&O DSP stuff (it is possible to put-off Bose in the S4/TT via VAG-COM)?
There are a few threads that discuss the B&O issues with some cars.
First, you should check to see if your sub is even receiving a signal. There are number of people that have no power going to the sub.
Second, we have a lot of people that have experienced both systems (including myself) that notice a dramatic difference (in a good way) with the B&O compared to the Bose.

I hope you aren't experiencing any of these issues. Maybe you should talk to your service adviser just-in-case.

To answer your question, form the B&O DSP menu (the "control" option to get the the B&O DSP menu), you can select where you want the sound to be emphasized (all, driver, front) -- (I keep this at the "all" position to take advantage of all of the speakers), you can also select Gala to be on/off (I have this set to on), and the surround level (if you play with it, it will make your sound more or less full sounding)...I personally have that setting raised to about the 3 o'clock position. I also keep my treble at about the 1 o'clock position and the bass at the 2 o'clock position (any higher and the sub sounds (to borrow sizzle's excellent term) ghetto fabulous (not in a good way).

If you still feel that the sound is weak after these tweaks, assuming that your sub is getting power, I'd see my service adviser and complain.

Good luck!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for the response. I hope it is possible to completely disable B&O DSP (in VAG-COM, it was possible to bypass the Bose DSP too in older cars). In the mean time I will use the All/Gala-off/no-surround settings and see if it is better.

And I will try to locate the subwoofer and see, uh hear/feel if it is having power. Anybody know where it is located?

·
Registered
750 Posts
it is in the rear deck lid below the rear glass, it is accessible via the trunk (boot).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It could be me interpreting it but I reckon the subwoofer improved after I updated the MMI to 5170. I can actually hear it now and the bass is much more obvious. You can really hear it thump now.

There was amp upgrade in 5170 (over 4690). However, I dont know if I just thinking it or if there is actually a difference. Either way, the quality of the B&O is far superior to the stock option.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx for all the tips!

Yes, I found the subwoofer, and it is "flubbering" (don't know the english word for it, but it sounds terrible).

I really really hope(!) the subwoofer and/or the amp is in failure in my car and can be replaced under warranty, because I drove my car for 2 hours and had some simple, not so loud Norah Jones as well as Eric Clapton Unplugged CDs (no mp3!) to listen to. So really middle of the road music (no drum-n-bass or something heavier) on good quality CDs. The first few seconds you think, hum...not so bad, but then you hear that the sound is total "garbage" (it is a kakafony of sounds, and I got an headache after 20 minutes of listening, even at medium volume). The bass is "flubbering" even in this low-bass music I played.

I tried all settings (from All/GALA-off/no-surround to Driver/GALA/max-surround) without any good result. The "flubbering" bass is worst with GALA-on (at the same volume level! strange...?), so I put it off and then a little bit of surround. (BTW: I noticed that if you put surround completely off, there is no difference between Driver/Front/All settings.......).

And yes, I have firmware 5170.

Anybody here replaced the amp or subwoofer under warranty? What was the result? If this is not the problem, then I am really dissastisfied and will try to get the orignal Audi Audio system instead (Alpine? Bose? who knows?).

·
Registered
58 Posts
The word "flubbering" I think is best said in English as loose and not tight. Then again the film "Flubber" sums it up well too... rubbery, squishy!

My A5 with B&O isn't here yet so I can't comment on your specific problem I'm sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.