Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed an order for sprint blue and have to admit I'm getting cold feet but seems like everyone, I mean everyone, all the pics I see both in europe and state side are black, black, black, some silver, black, black, couple of whites, black, black.. you get the point. I realize it may be due to the initial allotment situation but even if it is what a weird way to distribute cars, by color? only black and white and gray.

Is it because the black hides that big wide gaping hole in the middle called the grill, everyone says the black shows off the lines of the car well, I disagree, it shows the shape of the car well but not the details. I can see some of you ordering black but seems like 90% of us are... Maybe I'm a retard for ordering sprint blue... who knows.... just venting...

Lets see some other colors Audi!!!!!! So that we can order some damn cars

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Black is currently the most popular colour on Audi cars, there was even something about it on their website. Basically Audi's look great in Black with the contrasting aluminium trim around the windows and grill. When you think about it Mercs are most commonly silver, BMW, grey or blue, Ferrari & Alfa's Red so why not black for Audi ?? I personally love Sprint Blue it looks amazing on an S5 but theres no way I'm brave enough to choose it, its a mildly controversial colour and always sparks debate. Colour is subjective and most of us will have struggled with our decision at the time of order but if you like it then follow your instinct, its rarely wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
sprint blue it awsome... keep with it!!

Each to their own though, people have their preference with colours. I think eventually we'll see black becoming less popular.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Quite agree - I would have loved to have Sprint Blue for my 3.0 TDi as it's that bit nicer than the old Nogaro Blue which I've got on my S4, but sadly not an option as it's S5 only. It really shows off the contrasting mirrors and chrome around the windows and grill, which just get lost on any shade of silver.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Maybe I'm a retard for ordering sprint blue... who knows.... just venting...
No, you're not a retard for ordering Sprint Blue. Just because the masses seem to mostly be choosing a particular color shouldn't make you feel like you've made a poor decision in your color choice. If you like that color, then that's all that matters at the end of the day. Who cares what other people think. After all, it's YOUR car. Plus, the cool thing about Sprint Blue is that it is unique and will definitely stand out from the rest. And if that's what you're aiming for, then you've made the right choice.

·
Registered
315 Posts
sprint blue would be my second choice color! It looks amazing on the RS4. You want to choose a color you like. Its nice to have a color that no one has... I ordered white with Tuscan brown interior... Then at the audi event... This was the exact demo color s5 they had! Everyone was lovin' it. But now people gonna start ordering my color! Doesn't matter I still love my choice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quite agree - I would have loved to have Sprint Blue for my 3.0 TDi as it's that bit nicer than the old Nogaro Blue which I've got on my S4, but sadly not an option as it's S5 only. It really shows off the contrasting mirrors and chrome around the windows and grill, which just get lost on any shade of silver.
Ditto. Sprint blue A5 would have been 1st choice. Last 4 cars were silver, and loved the 'glisten' of the Phantom Black mica flecks in the sun. The fact that people are also willing to have a colour that shows the dirt so readily also takes some bravery.

Audi will actually do any colour that you want (£4000 - customised paint - see p39 of latest 2008 A5 brochure), but I'd already ordered mine (£4000 also a little steep!). Brochure says "In a car made from Vorsprung durch Technik, there are no compromises. So if you have a particular colour in mind, we’ll mix the exact water-based pearlescent or metallic-effect shade you want – whether it’s the blue of your favourite shirt or the wall colour in your sitting room".

Agree that black does appear a common colour - I was waiting at traffic lights tonight, and noticed that 5 of the 8 cars were all black (Toyota, Honda, BMW, Lexus and Audi), but the demonstrator I drove back in August looked gorgeous in Phantom Black - just had to have it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I think the S5 looks better in black but the A5 is better in a grey or one of the other colour range. The A5 seems to be able to get away with colours that i dont think would go on the S5.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Black looks good, but you are right - it is super popular. You should take that as a good sign that you went with Sprint Blue. Your color is far more unique and you can have the pleasure of knowing that you wont see too many in the same color. Also it is an S5 only color I believe. No A5s will have that color, unlike black, silver, meteor, white, etc. Normal to have color's remorse. I went back and forth before I ordered the car and now Im not 100% I made the right choice. In the end, it's the inside that you see the most, so make sure you like that.

I placed an order for sprint blue and have to admit I'm getting cold feet but seems like everyone, I mean everyone, all the pics I see both in europe and state side are black, black, black, some silver, black, black, couple of whites, black, black.. you get the point. I realize it may be due to the initial allotment situation but even if it is what a weird way to distribute cars, by color? only black and white and gray.

Is it because the black hides that big wide gaping hole in the middle called the grill, everyone says the black shows off the lines of the car well, I disagree, it shows the shape of the car well but not the details. I can see some of you ordering black but seems like 90% of us are... Maybe I'm a retard for ordering sprint blue... who knows.... just venting...

Lets see some other colors Audi!!!!!! So that we can order some damn cars

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I have to agree with you TX, the one thing that struck me about black is that it loses the detail. Personally I don't think the colour range on offer (in the UK not sure about the rest) is exactly the best but that's probably to get some of us to shell out more for a colour we really want. As George stated £4k for your own colour is a bit steep although the other option he didnt mention is £1,700 for any other standard Audi colours (as per the UK brochure). I was going to go down the latar route until I saw meteor grey and decided that was the colour for me as in my opinion it highlighted the lines far more than any other colour I had seen before and since, glad I made that choice. But like everyone elses advice it's personnal taste, your the one who will live with the car.. choose what you like and dont be swayed on it ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sprint Blue is the best colour for S5. All other colours are able for the A5 so i would say that only the sprint blue is unique for the S5 and makes the car look expensive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Alpina - it's only a risk if you live in Queensland where every state government car is white! I think it looks good in white but black is still a fairly rare colour choice here in Brisbane so it was a relatively easy choice for me especially as it is 20 years since my last black car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ours is Meteor Grey and it works, pretty understated if a bit menacing. Also helps when you live in the sticks and the car will not be clean most of the time.

A good grey or silver rarely looks off on an Audi.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Here's the thing... when you buy a car, you get 3 colours:

1) The paint colour
2) Chrome
3) Black Plastic

Therefore... get a black car, you only get two, which suits the Audi styling!

...Plus, as far as I could tell, all the S5 demonstrators were black, so it's a safe option as the buyer has seen it in the flesh... I was going to get Meteor, then got cold feet and ordered the Phantom Black... like everyone else! :eek:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine is Phantom black. I can understand the comment about it showing up the dirt but, when it is clean and shiny, it looks the muts....!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts