Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently taken delivery of an A5 2.0T Sport (180bhp), among the options I spec'd AMI in order to use my iPod Touch (8Gb) and have problems get them to recognise each other.

When connecting the iPod Touch with the cable supplied by Audi to the AMI unit I get, 'This device or this cable type is not supported'.

The car has been into the dealer and they are now saying that there is an issue with this cable and the version of software operated on the AMI and that Audi are aware of this and plan to release a different cable.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, also if they have been notified as to when to expect the modified cable type from Audi.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No problems with my 2.1 firmware iPod Touch and AMI

Hi

I bought both a USB cable and iPod cable for my AMI. Distinguishing remarks on the iPod cable are a blue ring close to the AMI end, and the following Audi part number 4F0 051 510K. There is a minor quirk however that has it that you hear a fraction of a second of the previous track as you start to play the next track. Odd, but maybe cleaned up in the next firmware update of either the iPod Touch or the AMI system - if Audi reads these forums!

Cheers

Ivan

·
Registered
10 Posts
iPhone & AMI

On a side note, I have to add how beautifully an iPhone plugged into the AMI integrates with the car.

Firstly, the iPhone is being charged continuously, it is communicating (flawlessly I might add) via bluetooth with the in-car electronics including via the steering wheel controls - and I even get to hear through the stereo my 'you have mail' and 'received SMS' sounds. I'm usually out of the car and taking the iPhone with me, and get to read the mail that I know has arrived!

Now if only I could get episodes of Top Gear on my phone playable through the 7" NAV screen, I would only get out of the car for toilet breaks!

Ivan

·
Registered
366 Posts
The iPod Touch seems to be the iPod which has the most "issues" with the AMI, but I suspect it is a case of having the right iPod cable. There are two cables for the iPod Touch and other threads devoted to the topic. In short, it appears that you need a slightly different cable based on whether you have High (SatNav) or Low (non SatBNav) MMI interface on the dashboard. Wrong cable means issues become apparent.

Personally, although I have an iPod Touch, I find a USB memory stick works much more reliably than the iPod in the car. The USB stick is permanently installed in the car and comes in the house only for updates to the content. Something to consider and saves having to take your iPod in and out of the house/car each time (unless of course you choose to leave it in the car permanently).

Just a thought in case it helps?

·
Registered
209 Posts
2009 Audi MMI

I have an I pod touch and it works perfectly with the MMI.... what year is your car? perhaps it needs the software upgrade. the itouch is exactly like the iphone which was designed to work with the latest software upgrade. Maybe you need a new cable? It does defiently work.. the only bad part is my itouch now seems to live in the glove compartment :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
My ipod touch and my iphone all work perfectly with the AMI system and cable provided by Audi.

However, my first generation big white ipod will not work and I get the message that the device is not recognised - i think this is more to do with the ipod software versions rather than the connectability of the car.

Perhaps you should test it with another ipod??

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have an iphone which works really well with the AMI. One of my kids has an ipod touch which also works perfectly well. The first cable supplied didn't work and we discovered it was a 2008 cable. Apparently you need a 2009 cable with a 2009 MY car. Make sure your dealer has supplied a 2009 cable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, i have a 32gb touch working fine on the AMI and my 16gb Iphone also works well through it too. Takes a few seconds to recognise when you first plug in. First time i plugged in, it did say there was an issue on Itouch screen (cant remember what it said) but just left it plugged in and after a couple of car restarts it worked!!

On a side note, how do you get the iphone working as a phone through my in car system.....i have bluetooth which works fine for my Blackberry, but dunno how to do the Iphone??????

Ta

B:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.