Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told by my dealer that an ipod connection is only available with the sat nav package, which I have not ordered. Does anybody know whether this is correct? I have had ipod connections retro-fitted to my other Audi A4. :confused:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Based on european deliveries, that is the only stock possibility. Otherwise, you might want to check out Dension's solutions ( www.dension.com)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I was told by my dealer not to bother with the ipod connection. He said it wasnt very user friendly as it goes by the file name. Seeing as I was ticking all the other boxes to add stuff, I took his views seriously as it isnt often they tell you not to bother with an extra.

The UK spec manual does state that it requires the Sat nav package

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been told by my dealer that an ipod connection is only available with the sat nav package, which I have not ordered. Does anybody know whether this is correct? I have had ipod connections retro-fitted to my other Audi A4. :confused:
Hi, the only way an Ipod will work is with the MMI which also requires the DVD satnav. This makes the Ipod function over £2,000, with Satnav thrown in.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I read online at http://www.audi-accessories.co.uk that you can use an ipod connector lead which plugs into the back of the radio if you have not ordered the SAT Nav system. Picking mine up next week and will enquire.
FYI, in a different thread (I forgot where, probably in the S5 loungs or general chat,, bobbuttons reported that his S5 fried two iPods and he has not reported yet that the issue has been fully resolved to his satisfaction, although he did report that his latest iPod seems to be okay using the dock. You may want to check that thread

·
Registered
10 Posts
Picked up my iPod cable from the dealer yesterday (was out of stock last week when I picked up my S5). The iPod interface is actually very good - not just filenames; you can browse your iPod by genre, artist, album, podcasts, etc...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ipod cable

Does the information come up on the MMI screen or jus the drivers information window? Did you manage to connect the cable yourself or is it a dealer job? Only 5 days till i get mine!!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Pete, it's a simple matter of plugging the lead into the MMI interface within the glovebox. You can also get one which will connect to a USB stick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice one, thanks for that. Will get me one of those. Did you get yours from your Audi dealer or is there another place to get them?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Does the information come up on the MMI screen or jus the drivers information window? Did you manage to connect the cable yourself or is it a dealer job? Only 5 days till i get mine!!!!
It comes up on both. It's actually really good!

Remember and order yourself an Ipod cable though. I was surprised when i got the car, I had to call up the dealer and order the ipod cable separate. How stupid is that??.... you order a system specifically to suppost Mp3 players ans Ipods, yet, they don't give you the relevant cables. Should be giving them out for free the amount of money we've paid!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ipod connection

Thanks for all of your help,but is anyone using an ipod that has not got sat nav+ installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh, just looked on the audi-accesories site and saw this :

FITTING RESTRICTIONS;
This iPod connection is not suitable for vehicles with Generation 1 or Generation 2+ Radios.
Audi A5; Only suitable for vehicles without DVD Satelite Navigation.
Price: £87.99
Product Code: A4051444

I do have the DVD sat-nav so think I just need the MMI cable, but my dealer says it doesn't exist. Anyone have any part numbers or anything?

many thanks

chris

·
Registered
95 Posts
Retro-fit AMI?

Anyone know if Audi Music Interface (AMI) can be retrofitted to car with MMI & B&O? Used to be able to do this with BMW (e.g. iPod/USB flash key could be either Dealer or Factory Fit), but not sure if Audi can do similar with A/S5. Hear that 3rd party systems (e.g. Dension) work OK, but just wondered about the Audi solution. I know some 'normally Factory-Fitted' accessories can be retro-fitted (e.g. Cruise Control), and so wondered if this extended to AMI?

Out of interest, anyone successfully running a Dension system on an A/S5?

Secondly, what are people using if they're not committed to Apple i-Tunes/iPod (e.g. if using Windows Media Player-compatible player like Creative Zen or Archos 504)?

My plan in the interim (when I get car - hopefully soon!), is to use Roxio/Nero burned jukebox MP3 and .WMA jukebox CDs in the autochanger (as in my last car) - know these work as I tried them in a demo A5 and S5 CD autochanger (fitted with MMI), but obviously, you 'only' get 6x700Kb (about 40 albums when ripped at 192Kb/s).

Many thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ordered the Music Interface, where I'm supposed to be able to just plug in any USB Memory stick and play music from, instead of being limited to a iPod.
I've not got the car yet so no clue how well it works but one or two 4gb Memorysticks should be enough to last for any long roadtrips.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts