·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A5 ipod

Thanks for your info. I will talk with my dealer.
Info much appreciated.
My car also came with a cell phone package, but no cradle was included for my specific brand of phone. Was that also to have been included?
Thanks for your help.
Samuel

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
My car also came with a cell phone package, but no cradle was included for my specific brand of phone. Was that also to have been included?
Bluetooth functionality for mobile phones comes standard on US spec A5/S5s. No cradle is provided. It's not needed because with Bluetooth functionality you simply leave your phone (regardless of brand) in your pocket and dial/receive calls through the car's system which integrates with your cell phone via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bluetooth functionality for mobile phones comes standard on US spec A5/S5s. No cradle is provided. It's not needed because with Bluetooth functionality you simply leave your phone (regardless of brand) in your pocket and dial/receive calls through the car's system which integrates with your cell phone via Bluetooth.
Just spoke with my Audi Sales Rep who is NOW going to provide me with the AMI Ipod adapter cable.
I encourage anyone else who is missing the cable from their NavPlus/AMI package to follow Tx's advise and request this expensive accesory be supplied by dealer.

In response to Bluetooth comments:
My cell phone's bluetooth paired with the Audi and I was even testing it by dialing out using the MMI when the connectivity was disrupted suddenly and the call transfered back to the cell phone. I was hoping the "cell phone cradle" described in our manual would provide a more stable interface for continuous data transfer.
I notice from multiple responses that some members have had issues with bluetooth. I have only tried a couple of times, so I guess I will hang in there until I get it straight -- since most agree it is the "way to go".

·
Registered
415 Posts
What you're being given isn't the $600 thing you think it is. It's a $50 cable.

And any car that has AMI (any A5 with Nav, for example) is supposed to be delivered with one cable of the customer's choosing: iPod, USB, or minijack.

If you don't have AMI, you may need more extensive (and expensive) hardware, and it won't be free from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I notice from multiple responses that some members have had issues with bluetooth. I have only tried a couple of times, so I guess I will hang in there until I get it straight -- since most agree it is the "way to go".
Unfortunately, Bluetooth may be unreliable from time to time. I'd suggest giving it more of a try and perhaps trying few different phone models, that will affect reliability as well. Nothing unique to Audis, Bluetooth hands-frees have these issues... but generally pretty usable nevertheless.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Unfortunately, Bluetooth may be unreliable from time to time. I'd suggest giving it more of a try and perhaps trying few different phone models, that will affect reliability as well. Nothing unique to Audis, Bluetooth hands-frees have these issues... but generally pretty usable nevertheless.
Yes, important distinction. Cars without navigation and AMI need completely new hardware to add iPod connectivity, with navigation (if AMI didn't come standard with navi in your market, it does in the U.S.) you can retrofit AMI at your dealer but it too will cost several hundred.

Starting from MJ2009 AMI can be ordered for cars without navi, which means they have a new version compatible with the Concert/Symphony radios. This is probably possible to retrofit in the future also to cars without navigation.

If you car already has AMI in the glove compartment, then indeed you only need the "cheap" cable... which again in some market you may get for free with the car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah, i should have added a disclaimer to my post above...

Everything I said applies to the US market. I can't speak for other regions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.