Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at a Dension Gateway to utilise my iPhone capabilities but it seems there have been many reports that they are crap.
Does anyone have experience of Dension or any other bit of kit that the iPhone can plug into so it charges, I can use the phone and iPod through the management system of my A5?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have looked at a Dension Gateway to utilise my iPhone capabilities but it seems there have been many reports that they are crap.
Does anyone have experience of Dension or any other bit of kit that the iPhone can plug into so it charges, I can use the phone and iPod through the management system of my A5?
1. Try searching, similar questions have been raised.
2. From what I've read, Denison is pretty cool. Your only options are AMI and Denison in the glovebox for music. They're both good.

There are some hack for bluetooth audio from your ipod / iphone but it's a pain in the a$$.

Also - as TX would say "Update your profile so we know where you're from - answers can differ by country and region".

·
Registered
138 Posts
1. Try searching, similar questions have been raised.
2. From what I've read, Denison is pretty cool. Your only options are AMI and Denison in the glovebox for music. They're both good.

There are some hack for bluetooth audio from your ipod / iphone but it's a pain in the a$$.

Also - as TX would say "Update your profile so we know where you're from - answers can differ by country and region".
O look, we have new admin :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
I can vouch for the Dension iPod adaptor although I've never tried to connect my iPhone. I use a dedicated Classic that never leaves the glove box. I have full control of the iPod via Audi's MMI.

I'll connect my iPhone today and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I can vouch for the Dension iPod adaptor although I've never tried to connect my iPhone. I use a dedicated Classic that never leaves the glove box. I have full control of the iPod via Audi's MMI.

I'll connect my iPhone today and let you know how it goes.
Apologies for the delay but just successfully connected my iPhone to the Dension iPod adaptor and successfully navigated all songs, artists and playlists via the MMI.

I could also use the phone functionality via MMI.

My only concerns are:

1. iPhone audio quality is not as good as my iPod Classic. This shouldn't come as a surprise as most people will agree that the Classic kills all other iPods in terms of audio quality
  2. RF performance (reception) will be affected with the iPhone tucked away in the glove box

·
Registered
383 Posts
Scosche Passport

Because Apple changed the pins on which the charging power is supplied, the new Iphone does not charge via the MMI cable in the A5/S5 (it says it does, but it doesn't)

The workaround is to buy one of Scosche adapters, so your Iphone will then charge. You can use Bluetooth to make wireless connection the hands free and other MMI features.

http://www.scosche.com/passport

The other possibility is to fit the Iphone in the cradle in the arm rest, for which you need a cradle adapter (8PO 051 435 GP) ... I think. Not tried it yet - this part is on back order.

Why do this? well the phone is now connected to the cell phones antenna on the roof with much better gain (link speeds). That means in the US you get good connection speeds over the AT&T 3G network.... which is just what you need to stream Internet Radio without dropouts:)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Because Apple changed the pins on which the charging power is supplied, the new Iphone does not charge via the MMI cable in the A5/S5 (it says it does, but it doesn't)

The workaround is to buy one of Scosche adapters, so your Iphone will then charge. You can use Bluetooth to make wireless connection the hands free and other MMI features.

http://www.scosche.com/passport

The other possibility is to fit the Iphone in the cradle in the arm rest, for which you need a cradle adapter (8PO 051 435 GP) ... I think. Not tried it yet - this part is on back order.

Why do this? well the phone is now connected to the cell phones antenna on the roof with much better gain (link speeds). That means in the US you get good connection speeds over the AT&T 3G network.... which is just what you need to stream Internet Radio without dropouts:)
+1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.