Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I order an A5 without NAV, can I use my iPhone as an iPod and a phone at the same time while plugged in with just one cord. I just watched a video on Audi USA site and it seems that I can. Anyone tried this? this is a very cool feature.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think they are separate technologies for the 2 functionalities.
Bluetooth for Telephone
AMI (audi music interface) for Music.

I think bluetooth is standard. AMI is included in the NAV option for 2008's but I believe for 2009, you have the option of selecting AMI as a stand alone option. This would give you the ability to control your iphone as an ipod using audi's knob.

The cable (not always included - so be sure to ask) connects your iphone to the AMI. So thats the music functionality. And bluetooth is inherently wireless, so you after you pair it to your car, then you have telphone functionality.

You need the AMI option to have the iphone act as an integrated ipod, as far as I know. (not including aftermarket options)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took Euro delivery of my A5 and realized that the AMI interface cable didn't come with the car .. so my wife popped up to the store at the Audi Forum in Neckarsulm and bought one ... it was very cool and works great through the MMI. I guess as a follow up question is when i open my arm rest there appears to be some gold connectors for a phone .. doesn anyone know if there is a seperate cable that you can purchase if you don't want to fool with blue tooth?

·
Registered
151 Posts
They are two seperate technologies.

iPhone works with bluetooth very well and you get full functionality (with MMI at least).

The Audi Music Interface is an added bonus as it allows you to plug your iphone in and charge it whilst listening to your music.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you can use your iphone as an ipod and a phone at the same time?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well... kinda. Although MMI doesn't let you make a call and have your music playing at the same time (if that's what you mean). But the iPhone is effectively fully integrated and works very well.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Well... kinda. Although MMI doesn't let you make a call and have your music playing at the same time (if that's what you mean). But the iPhone is effectively fully integrated and works very well.
Except for the annoying electrical sound it makes when initiating a phone call. I heard all "smart" phones do this....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Except for the annoying electrical sound it makes when initiating a phone call. I heard all "smart" phones do this....
For me this is only on the 1st call after starting up... subsequent calls do not have this problem.... my guess is that it's a Bluetooth connection thing.

·
Registered
750 Posts
So far...(fingers crossed) I haven't had the problem...maybe it is the phone(s)?? I am using a Blackberry Curve (8310).

·
Registered
151 Posts
For me this is only on the 1st call after starting up... subsequent calls do not have this problem.
+1 (and is intermitent).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.