Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just taken delivery of an S5 with phone (low) and Sat Nav. (But no AMI.)

Dealer fitted the new Audi iPhone specific caddy into the armrest.

The iPhone works fine via bluetooth (very frustrated that it is restricted to 1000 numbers - I have 1000 contacts, most with several numbers, so I am missing names and numbers!)

My question is, how do I get the iPod music to play? Has anyone got similar, but with AMI and it works?

The dealer assured me twice ('phone Milton Keynes to check) that it would play the music. Failing as I am, they now say it will not! Technical won't talk to me and the dealer is proving to not know what I'm asking nor how to address.

I wonder if iPhone 2.0 software due in the next few weeks will make any difference? Or do I abandon the armrest caddy and buy a Denison in glove box solution?

In anticipation,

Frustrated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
as far as i know, the only way to play music from the iPhone is to plug it into the AMI cable located in your glove box. the cable should have come with the car, but sometimes dealers forget. you should check for it. if its there, just plug your iphone/ipod into it and select "CD/AUX" as music input and you can control the ipod functions from the MMI. try doing a search for iPhone, should turn up results. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
iPhone connection to AMI

Many thanks for your swift response.

There is no AMI on this vehicle.

I'm seeking to get the Audi supplied iPhone caddy to interface with the MMI. But do I need the AMI retro-fittting?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Many thanks for your swift response.

There is no AMI on this vehicle.

I'm seeking to get the Audi supplied iPhone caddy to interface with the MMI. But do I need the AMI retro-fittting?
You need AMI to be able to use the iPod cable, there is no non-AMI iPod cable option for the A5.

If you have a 2008 model-year, you need navi/full MMI (not just Concert/Symphony radio with colour screen) to be able to retro-fit AMI. If you have navi/full MMI, no problem, your dealer will retro-fit it but it can be quite costly still!

Model year 2009 brings an AMI that doesn't require the navi/full MMI - this AMI should be able to be retro-fitted to 2008 models too, but I've heard that the radio (or some other component) doesn't support it in 2008 models, so maybe the radio or some other component may also require swapping before AMI works on 2009 cars without navi/full MMI...

See this thread for more details:

Easier mp3 connection in 09 ?
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthre...5/index.html?t=2175&highlight=souped-up+radio

·
Registered
15 Posts
there is a possibility that apple will add the a2dp feature to the iphone firmware 2.0. This allows you to stream music via bluetooth. there is nothing confirmed but it's possible. might not hurt to wait a week or so to see before purchasing anything.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
there is a possibility that apple will add the a2dp feature to the iphone firmware 2.0. This allows you to stream music via bluetooth. there is nothing confirmed but it's possible. might not hurt to wait a week or so to see before purchasing anything.
...but how would A2DP help in an Audi A5 without AMI?

I know Audi sells an A2DP cable + box for AMI:

http://shop.audi.de/webapp/wcs/stor...yPath=15644.15645&categoryId=20781&modelyear=

But that still requires the presence of an AMI.

Are you suggesting the car's radio/MMI could somehow be configured to receive Bluetooth audio as is (other than a phone call)? Or some other trick?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am indeed suggesting that it could be possible for the car stereo to receive audio (your music) via Bluetooth technology. A2DP is a specific feature that has to be enabled (by the manufacturer) in the phone's Bluetooth profile and is not currently enabled for the iPhone. I am saying that there is a possibility that Apple will enable this feature in the Bluetooth profile in the upcoming firmware update, but this pure speculation at this point. It is a feature that is available in a lot of other media-centric phones though.

My German is a bit rusty, but judging from that link, that adapter would let you stream music via A2DP technology (as long as it's enabled on your phone) and the adapter allows it to be controlled via the MMI. I would double-check that before I purchased though.

This might give you some more info on the technology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2DP#Advanced_Audio_Distribution_Profile_.28A2DP.29

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just note that the A2DP adapter I linked to requires Audi Music Interface, AMI. So a car without AMI wouldn't benefit from the A2DP - and the question in this thread was how to listen to iPhone music in a car without AMI.

The Bluetooth A2DP adapter would offer no help without an AMI to connect to.

Naturally it would be useful for someone with AMI, say, with iPhone if Apple updates the software to support it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.