Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone describe to me how the U.S Front license plate holder comes off and how to install the filler panel? I'm hoping to do this as soon as my filler panel arrives. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Can someone describe to me how the U.S Front license plate holder comes off and how to install the filler panel? I'm hoping to do this as soon as my filler panel arrives. Thanks.
There are two exposed screws that you will see when you get your car. Undo the screws to remove the US plate holder. After doing this, the European plate holder is exposed.
The filler panel has upper and lower teeth that simply snaps on over the European plate holder.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of screwdriver is required? I looked at the two screws and both are 6 spoke and star shaped. Thanks
I wish i knew how to post pictures to show the screws that I'm seeing.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What type of screwdriver is required? I looked at the two screws and both are 6 spoke and star shaped. Thanks
I wish i knew how to post pictures to show the screws that I'm seeing.
Hex.

You can get a hex screwdriver from your local hardware store....

·
Registered
68 Posts
For mine, there was a 3rd screw underneath the front license plate itself. So you'll have to remove the front plates to see the third screw.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I signed the paper from Audi releasing them from liability and instructing them not to install the front license plate frame on my vehicle. There is a state law that requires you to have to have both plates on the car but obviously enough people don't want them installed that there is a request process to not have them. I went through the same process with my wife's Cayenne. Was that an option to you in Ohio? I guess your situation is better because you can revert back to the license plate frame and/or back to the filler on your own.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up the car in Pennsylvania which does not require a front plate therefore no waiver was requested. My car is registered in ohio and currently I have temporary plates which allows me some time to get away with not having a front plate...once the plates arrive i'll have to come up with plan B. I do not know of any process to get an exemption to the front plate law in Ohio. I asked my dealer to throw in the filler panel so that I could utilize it whenever I want.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I picked up the car in Pennsylvania which does not require a front plate therefore no waiver was requested. My car is registered in ohio and currently I have temporary plates which allows me some time to get away with not having a front plate...once the plates arrive i'll have to come up with plan B. I do not know of any process to get an exemption to the front plate law in Ohio. I asked my dealer to throw in the filler panel so that I could utilize it whenever I want.
Finally got it! I hope you're as happy as I was when I got mine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
hello all,

Getting ready to order my 2010 but the NJ dealer refused to order the filler plate instead of the front license plate. They also claim by law they have to order the front license plate. Is this accurate? I presume you can't get both from the factory without paying more??

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got mine from a NJ dealership and they explained the same situation to me.

Also, on my car it looks like the license plate is designed into the front bumper where the filler plate would usually go. It is shaped to include a mounting spot for a plate. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how did you change it? I am going to install a hideaway plate instead of mounting a front plate to avoid getting tickets and having to mount the front plate. Plateless in the front looks 100x better IMO.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi All, are any of you interested in selling your front license plate holder? (S5)

I would be interested in buying it off of your hand if you don't need it for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi All, are any of you interested in selling your front license plate holder? (S5)

I would be interested in buying it off of your hand if you don't need it for a reasonable price.
I wouldn't even know what a reasonable price would be but I have one that I'm not using.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just picked up an 09 S5 with the filler. I need a front plate here in Connecticut. I've seen photos of S5's with an offset front plate.

Does anyone know where to find the offset license plate bracket?

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am having trouble locating the screws. I do not seem them anywhere on the license plate filler, I am feeling around in the hold and behind it, and still can not seem to find them. I have no idea how to remove this thing, maybe some step by step pictures would help.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Two torx screws - located at the lower left and and the lower right end of the filler panel. See the attached photo for location. You have to get down low to see them.

If the car currently has a US-style license plate panel, there may be a 3rd screw that goes right through the plastic panel behind the license plate itself.

Once the screws are removed you pull off the old panel by grasping the bottom edge and pulling out and up. It's held in place by some plastic latches along the bottom edge, and by a pretty tight press fit with the grill slats along the top. Give it a good yank - don't worry, you won't break anything. Under the old US style panel you'll find the European style panel. If you want to add a blank panel, it screws down right over the European style panel just like the US-style panel did.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.