Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found these pics that were linked on another forum (audiworld.com). The images are from a member in Japan that was driving his A5 while on vacation.

I just wanted to post some of his pics showing how crazy accurate the 3d maps are on the 3G MMI.

Images from the Nav:

Notice the two roads above the car and how the road splits in front of the A5 and they are also shown in 3D on the display

Again the trees on the left and the road suspended above the curvy main road

The buildings on the right and the road signs infront of the car

·
Registered
302 Posts
Very cool... I've experienced this in my own car as well. Even here in Norway and in Sweden the maps are frightening accurate and detailed.

Norway have also just recently expanded their TMC service which now is very very good. And I love the way the MMI 3G handels the different TMC messages that are enroute on my navigated route.

I can also try to take some pictures like these above.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lovely, Is there any way to retrofit 3GMMI instead of standard MMI?

·
Registered
52 Posts
can system be updated?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone have access to part numbers and prices of a 3G mmi including screen, and backup cam?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Looks like the same software I had in my Pioneer Avic Z1. Looks good when actually using the nav for directions. During normal driving, there really is little difference...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looks like the same software I had in my Pioneer Avic Z1. Looks good when actually using the nav for directions. During normal driving, there really is little difference...
Well the nav is only one part of the 3g MMI, it also has:

-40GB HDD,
-USB port standard,
-2 SD card slots,
-Real time traffic,
-a real speech to text engine so you never have to voice tag anything again,
-A2DP audio support from Bluetooth wireless device,
-dvd playback,
-Dolby digital surround sound,
-a higher res screen with LED backlight which is brighter and runs colder will last longer and turns on without the slow dim to bright fade in like the 2G mmi,
-and 2 processors including a Nvidia GPU for better performance

·
Registered
47 Posts
Guys,

I got my car two weeks ago, with the beautiful new nav, but these picture's I've never seen. what setting will give me this view?

O, and the DVD playback is great! it's a pitty it goes black (off) by driving 5 Km's a hour.

E.

·
Registered
302 Posts
-USB port standard,
What? Where? How? ... I guess you mean it has the USB if you order it with AMI. It doesn't have USB as standard?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Strange, I had a new A6 on loan 2 weeks ago and the nav didn't have the 3D buildings on it. I suspect it just depends where you are in the world.

That also looks very very detailed, right down to the bridge supports and the location of the traffic signals. Can anyone else confirm if they've witnessed this?

Photochop?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Looks great, but is it that detailed in every country? I imagine that the bigger the maps that are required the less detail in the maps. No offence but Japan is tiny and Sweden and Norway are not very big either - but Europe is? So do you guys have the on the 3g version all of europe or just a couple of countries closest to where the car was bought?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Well the nav is only one part of the 3g MMI, it also has:

-40GB HDD,
-USB port standard,
-2 SD card slots,
-Real time traffic,
-a real speech to text engine so you never have to voice tag anything again,
-A2DP audio support from Bluetooth wireless device,
-dvd playback,
-Dolby digital surround sound,
-a higher res screen with LED backlight which is brighter and runs colder will last longer and turns on without the slow dim to bright fade in like the 2G mmi,
-and 2 processors including a Nvidia GPU for better performance
Yep. Avic Z1 had all the same stuff, and it's the exact same graphics. More than likely used the same manufacturer to produce. Even had the 40 Gb hard drive. 10 GB was dedicated to nav and the other 30 gb you could burn music directly from the CD slot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep. Avic Z1 had all the same stuff, and it's the exact same graphics. More than likely used the same manufacturer to produce. Even had the 40 Gb hard drive. 10 GB was dedicated to nav and the other 30 gb you could burn music directly from the CD slot.
Does the Audi system have text-to-speech voice guidance like the Pioneer?

·
Registered
56 Posts
How much does it cost to have something like this done or if it could even be done with my car I have a 09 a5 s line with the nav in it

·
Registered
159 Posts
This Fu&^ing Blows!

There better be an update or some way to upgrade. I don't care about the sd cards or DVD playback while driving, I just want the 3D display and traffic notifications.

Thanks Audi.

... After posting this, I realized its not really a big deal- I mean, this isn't anything NEW for the automotive world. You could buy an aftermarket unit that had this 5 years ago. I can check google maps for traffic and less time messing with the screen is more time driving the S5- This 3G upgrade is playing catch-up to the competition.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Strange, I had a new A6 on loan 2 weeks ago and the nav didn't have the 3D buildings on it. I suspect it just depends where you are in the world.

That also looks very very detailed, right down to the bridge supports and the location of the traffic signals. Can anyone else confirm if they've witnessed this?

Photochop?
I haven't seen such detail on mine - even when set to 30 metres display. I even went under a few bridges today to check. No virtual image as in the OP.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't seen such detail on mine - even when set to 30 metres display. I even went under a few bridges today to check. No virtual image as in the OP.
Im sure the pics are not photoshopped. Have you checked your drivers manual to see if there is a setting for 3d street view during navigation?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Im sure the pics are not photoshopped. Have you checked your drivers manual to see if there is a setting for 3d street view during navigation?
I'll do that in the morning and get back to you. It would be great to have those images in real time. One interesting point, I clicked on Nav Info today and it told me that it was locked on to 5 satellites!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts