Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as a previous post indicated, I'm sacking my A5 order (even though it's getting delivered next month) and going with a similarly configured S5. I played with the numbers, and even on my 80 miles a day commute (40 each way), the cost of gas is only a $100/mo difference, which I don't mind stomaching for the performance bump.

Just food for thought...

My A5 as configured and the $1500 market adjustment they quoted me is already at $51,130 before tax.

The equally configured S5 at MSRP (I finally got someone who will sell to me at MSRP, hooray!) comes out to $56,740.

Was a pretty easy decision. I just have to keep driving the Supra until December. Lesson learned: the A5 is quite pricey because you're getting the amenities of a more expensive car, but the S5 is actually a bargain.

-Ray

P.S. in case anyone is wondering how I arrived at these numbers, here is the breakdown based on 2009 pricing:
A5 6MT - 40,300
Premium: 1,900
Nav: 2,380
S-Line: 2,900
B&O: 850
Metallic Paint: 475
Desintation: 825
Market Adjustment: 1,500
= 51,130

S5 6MT - 50,900
Nav: 2,390
B&O: 850
Metallic Paint: 475
Gas Guzzler: 1,300
Destination: 825
= 56,740

The real kicker as stated in a previous post is that if you are the type of A5 customer to get Premium+S-Line, you are paying $4800 for options which are actually standard features of the S5.

-Ray

·
Registered
204 Posts
Great move! I wish I had that chance when I got my A5. I guess I cannot complain too much... I must have the cheapest A5 S Line on this forum. Picked her up for $44.8K.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great move! I wish I had that chance when I got my A5. I guess I cannot complain too much... I must have the cheapest A5 S Line on this forum. Picked her up for $44.8K.
:rolleyes::D:D:D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good move on the S5. Having lived in L.A. for most of my life, I think the extra horses will be nice on a freeway on-ramp. Just knowing the power is there is a good feeling. You'll also have fun showing your 4 exhaust tips signal to signal (every traffic light is a Christmas Tree)!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good move on the S5. Having lived in L.A. for most of my life, I think the extra horses will be nice on a freeway on-ramp. Just knowing the power is there is a good feeling. You'll also have fun showing your 4 exhaust tips signal to signal (every traffic light is a Christmas Tree)!!
The car I'm driving right now has more power than the S5, but I'm looking forward to that naturally aspirated V8 throttle response. With that in mind, I always knew that 265hp would eventually bother me, kind of sad that we think that's on the slower side these days. Probably because you can get that much out of a Honda Accord. =P

-Ray

·
Registered
914 Posts
Congrats!

Same here in Holland if you buy a "normal" A5 and put some normal options in (like navi, etc) you are only 5k-8K euro below a similar specced S5.

The good news here that there is no premium but a discount (4-8%) on new cars, and as I wrote before 20-30K Euro depreciation on a 6-12 months old car with low mileage.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I get to lose sleep over the eternal decision AGAIN.....

ICE SILVER METALLIC OR QUARTZ GREY???????

-Ray

·
Registered
914 Posts
Now I get to lose sleep over the eternal decision AGAIN.....

ICE SILVER METALLIC OR QUARTZ GREY???????

-Ray
The car looks best in explicit colors, so ICE SILVER is good, as well as Black or Red (but have never see this on an S5). The Grey would be too "soft" for me. What inside color do you consider? Black or Brown or Red or........?

·
Registered
341 Posts
You came to the same conclusion I did back in December when I switched from an A5 to an S5.
For a few hundred $s more a year in fuel, and a modest bump in purchase cost, you do not have to compromise on seats, suspension, power, etc. (no offense to A5 owners).

Now I just have to get the bloody thing delivered.

As for color, it's up to your taste. The silvers and gray's look good. I think they allow the lines of the car to be shown off.

If you are a person that likes more bold colors, there are good options for that, as the prior post mentions. And then there are the special order colors from Audi, for a mere $2500 more.

Check out the color gallery on Audiworld and elsewhere in this forum.
http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/27679.phtml

Congratulations.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Good choice

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The car looks best in explicit colors, so ICE SILVER is good, as well as Black or Red (but have never see this on an S5). The Grey would be too "soft" for me. What inside color do you consider? Black or Brown or Red or........?
It looks like I'm going with Ice Silver Metallic with the Black/Alcantara interior and Carbon Atlas inlays. We'll see by the 15th of this month when the order will get pulled, but the turnaround time is only 3 months now (rediculous). I have two different dealers claiming they can get me an order fulfilled by December, but I'm going with the one that is selling at MSRP.

-Ray

·
Registered
536 Posts
Also, if you want to get an S5 only color like sprint blue on an A5, add 2500 bucks to that 4800 dollars worth of optional A5 features that the S5 has standard.

·
Registered
231 Posts
moving to the S5 is an excellent decision.

i had an A5 1.8t courtesy car. the car was very different to the S5 in soo so many ways.

power was not the real problem.

all the controls are so light. clutch steering gears etc. the car does not feel as tight and does have half the road holding. when you close the door on the A5 the soft suspension gently rocks.

even the non B&O door panels felt cheaper

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, surprised to hear such a big difference. I've been in both of the versions available to us in the US (3.2FSI and 4.2FSI) and it's not as dramatic, since they're both standard with Quattro and I've never seen a dealer stock an A5 that didn't at least have the Premium Package.

The main difference really is just the engine, though I haven't had a chance to spend as much time in the S5 (there aren't exactly a bunch of demos floating around).

-Ray

moving to the S5 is an excellent decision.

i had an A5 1.8t courtesy car. the car was very different to the S5 in soo so many ways.

power was not the real problem.

all the controls are so light. clutch steering gears etc. the car does not feel as tight and does have half the road holding. when you close the door on the A5 the soft suspension gently rocks.

even the non B&O door panels felt cheaper

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE! Everything seems to be moving much faster this time, which seems to support the claim that Audi has improved production a bit.

Commission Number 509022
Production Week 10/20/2008

Expected Delivery: sometime in November...

-Ray

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I caved. I saw a Quartz Grey A5 on the 2 south (by the 5 interchange if it was anyone here...) this morning and I thought damn it looks so James Bond in that color, I have to have it! =P So yeah, it wasn't too late to switch, so I'm now a Quartz guy.

Is it just me or does anyone else see the S5 as the detuned lovechild of the DB9 and R8?

-Ray

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.