Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unbelievable! :D What a day! Mid morning today I get an email from HBL saying guess what "Your car is here!!" What the??!!??....... Turns out that the car actually arrived on Monday the 21st in RI and the dates changed on the computer to show that when the transport arrived at HBL this morning to drop off the car! I had just posted in another thread that the car was received in RI when actually it was probably already on the truck headed down! This is the first 2009 that HBL has delivered.

Needless to say, I left work, ran to the bank, and headed down to the dealer just after lunch. I got there at about 1:30 and messed around waiting while they got the car ready. The salesman advised that they: strip off the cover, inspect, add oil & gas, pull the transport suspension bumpers off, program the car via VAG COM (I guess for language localization), and detail. It took the majority of the afternoon. I did a bit of paperwork but really hardly any since I already had financing. I was only in the office doing paperwork for about 20 minutes. Very easy. The car was ready at about 5ish & I spent about 45 minutes going over with the salesman. This is only the 3rd S5 that I've ever seen since January when I drove the demo. Saw one other one on the road and that's it!

The car is incredible. HBL did a fine job with detailing, no swirls or scratches. Very shiny! :D Sounds fantastic even at low RPMs, awesome rumble, I drove home with the windows down so I could listen! I messed around with drive select a bit. The suspension definitely tightens up when set to dynamic + the steering ratio gets much tighter as well. When set too comfort, the car is much softer & the steering loosens up quite a bit. I'll mess with it more & see what else I can find. The car is so laden with tech that it will take some time this weekend to go through the whole thing. I wish that I didn't have to work tomorrow but at least its Friday.

I'll give some more information this weekend when I get some time & will try to do some pictures as well. Haven't slept much in the past few days so am going to try and get some naptime. Awesome car! Well worth the wait! I look forward to everyone else taking delivery of their cars too! :D

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Congrats, Ian! Glad to hear the delivery was a good experience for you. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats man, post some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, I'm already back at work. Couple of interesting tidbits of note on my way in today:

- Voice activation seems to be fully functional. I say 'CD' & it flips to the CD screen. I say 'Navigation' & it flips to the Nav screen. 'Phone' etc... Not sure how deep the Voice control goes but I'll check it this weekend & I'll look at the manual.

- The stupid 'shut off the DRLs when signaling' thing still holds for 09s. Looks broken when the blinker is on. Need to get that fixed.

- Finally turned on the B&O; sounds awesome! But I turned it off again to listen to the car which sounds better. :D

- Indicated mileage didn't seem that bad when I was cruising in 6th. Flipping around in the 20s & 30s. We'll see what real mileage is at the end of the first tank.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Voice activation seems to be fully functional. I say 'CD' & it flips to the CD screen. I say 'Navigation' & it flips to the Nav screen. 'Phone' etc... Not sure how deep the Voice control goes but I'll check it this weekend & I'll look at the manual.
I'm soooo jealous! I really wish this full voice control had been available on the 2008 US spec A5/S5s. :( I wonder if you have the ability to go to "Next Track" or "Previous Track" when playing mp3 files from a USB stick or iPod. That would be quite handy, as I rarely listen to CDs in the car.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Can't you activate Voice Control with Vagcom TX?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Booster, 2008 US spec A5/S5s don't include the voice module that is necessary to have voice control of functions such as Nav and CD. That's a new feature for MY2009. Anyone with a 2008 model wanting that functionality would need to install that separate module. (I have no idea what the part number is or how difficult it would be to retrofit.)

For 2008 US spec cars, only the phone can be controlled via voice (and even that has limited functionality). Most US spec 2008 cars did not come from the factory with the voice control activated. So, many folks (including myself) had the dealer activate via VAG-COM.

·
Registered
441 Posts
So, many folks (including myself) had the dealer activate via VAG-COM.[/QUOTE]

+1

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm soooo jealous! I really wish this full voice control had been available on the 2008 US spec A5/S5s. :( I wonder if you have the ability to go to "Next Track" or "Previous Track" when playing mp3 files from a USB stick or iPod. That would be quite handy, as I rarely listen to CDs in the car.
TX- I just sat in the car and listened to it (in some womans voice) explain to me in great detail exactly what I could ask it to do using voice commands. There are expanded commands in the Nav, Phone, Radio, & CD modules. And indeed, you can have it play the previous/next track. Now the question is whether this would work on an Ipod or USB. I'll get the Ipod hooked up and try this later this weekend. I would say though, that by the time you tell the car to do something, like play next track, you could have probably flicked your finger a dozen times to do the same thing. I find in most cars with Voice command, the commands in general work really well to handle entering Nav addresses and control phones. Anytime you need to enter alphanumeric data, it saves time. Otherwise, fingers are faster! I'll check this out in detail.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congrats Ian! I hope you are enjoying the new toy. Let us know how the voice command works. In my experience, its been more cumbersome to use the voice command rather than just using my hands...but then again my experience is with BMW and I have to say that the navigation menus are one of the worst I have seen in the industry, so I can see why the voice command was no help anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some quick pics. I might have compressed them too much, but it'll give you the basic idea. Don't see a lot of cars with the black leather interior. I like it as dark as possible in the car & having the dark headliner really helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
It's a beauty Ian. Congrats!

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is great news Ian720..
Congratulations.
I think I heard your similes as you passed by Reston when you drove it home.

Beautiful!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Some quick pics. I might have compressed them too much, but it'll give you the basic idea. Don't see a lot of cars with the black leather interior. I like it as dark as possible in the car & having the dark headliner really helps.
Looks great Ian! I'm with you on the dark interior. I like them dark inside also, so I ordered Black interior as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts