Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone who has done a mod or figured out a way to do this with advanced key?

Can't find a remote starter mod that will work with Advanced key.

Maybe Vag Com?

Anyone?

· Registered
2,046 Posts
Yes, it can be done...

Here's the procedure:

1) Get into the car and lock the doors using the button in the driver's door.

2) Start the engine in the normal manner

3) Lift the 'boot open' button in the driver's door

4) Climb into the back and lower one half of the split-fold rear seat

5) Exit through the open boot (trunk) and shut the boot (trunk) behind you.

Ta dah!

You are now outside the locked car with the engine running.

Of course, the drawback here is that your keys are locked inside and you have no way of unlocking the car to get in, however you didn't specify this was a requirement!

:D

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can't you just use the second key?

In some countries, leaving the Engine running without being in the car is illegal.
Why would I want to carry two keys?

And no it's not illegal here in this country. There are many reasons, one being I don't want to shut down and start up the car while leaving the car for a few minutes at a time.

Second being I dont want anyone driving off if I do so.

· Registered
198 Posts
It actually is technically illegal in many states even idileing for more than 5 minutes while sitting in the vehicle can be illegal, allthough almost never enforced with the exception of taxis . . . .

Chapter 90: Section 16A. Stopped motor vehicles; operation of engine; time limit; penalty

Section 16A. No person shall cause, suffer, allow or permit the unnecessary operation of the engine of a motor vehicle while said vehicle is stopped for a foreseeable period of time in excess of five minutes. This section shall not apply to (a) vehicles being serviced, provided that operation of the engine is essential to the proper repair thereof, or (b) vehicles engaged in the delivery or acceptance of goods, wares, or merchandise for which engine assisted power is necessary and substitute alternate means cannot be made available, or (c) vehicles engaged in an operation for which the engine power is necessary for an associate power need other than movement and substitute alternate power means cannot be made available provided that such operation does not cause or contribute to a condition of air pollution. Whoever violates any provision of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars for the first offense, nor more than five hundred dollars for each succeeding offense

Theres a law for just about evrything. In MA it is illegal to replace a factory exhaust.

Chapter 90: Section 16. Offensive or illegal operation of motor vehicles

No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.

You could even be pulled over for having anything hanging from your rear view mirror. "impeded operation"

My point being there are many laws on the books that the average person has no idea exist.

· Registered
158 Posts
There are many reasons, one being I don't want to shut down and start up the car while leaving the car for a few minutes at a time.
You live in Florida, correct? When I lived in Edmonton, and it was -40C, it was common to idle one's car because there was a good chance the block would freeze if you left for any period of time without having the block heater plugged in.

However, if you live anywhere in the world with an even decently temperate climate, idling your car for more than 10 seconds wastes more fuel than turning the car off. Our cars have a real time mileage calculator - you can actually see how much fuel your car is burning. It also pollutes unnecessarily and is awful for your engine.

· Registered
54 Posts
Personally speaking I do like getting in a warm car on a winters morning. Start it up to defrost or similar before going to work, makes it nice to get into then.

Not tried any procedure yet but cant you just start it up (advanced key) and lock it when you get out with the key??

· Registered
371 Posts
Here's the procedure:

Ta dah!

Of course, the drawback here is that your keys are locked inside and you have no way of unlocking the car to get in, however you didn't specify this was a requirement!

Just awesome! We are in debt to such great wisdom on this furom. I loved that answer though

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not here to listen to spiels about laws and what I shouldn't do. I'm just trying to do something that I've been able to do with my previous cars because of remote start.

· Registered
1,730 Posts
Here's the procedure:

Ta dah!

Priceless! And it would definitely work, although I don't think Rezox would necessarily describe this suggestion as 'constructive'.

Must admit, I have actually considered this in passing, prompted by a desire to leave the car running to de-frost and warm up whilst I have my morning coffee (and crafty *** - I can say that here, she's never gonna be on this forum is she?).

I hadn't pursued it though and came up with the simpler alternative of screwing-in the towing eye each morning, attaching a piece of chain I 'borrowed' from Southampton docks and attaching the other end to a hook I've screwed into the garage wall. I can now start the engine and leave it running whilst I drink my coffee, safe in the knowledge that if my car does go, the thief's progress will at least be impeded. Plus I get a new garage.

· Registered
26 Posts
Here's the procedure:

Ta dah!

Lol - surely if you were going to this effort, it would be easier to open the drivers window before getting out of the car (in the normal way), reaching through the window to hit the lock button, and then press the window up button while quickly removing your arm and shoulder.

Ok, so the key is still in the car, but its a bit more elegant than Ian's solution ;)

· Registered
198 Posts
I personally don't care if you leave your engine running for a month straight. It's your gas and car . . .

You incorrectly stated it was not illegal, I was just letting you and other readers on the forum know it is. I just don't like people spreading false information.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
Lol - surely if you were going to this effort, it would be easier to open the drivers window before getting out of the car (in the normal way), reaching through the window to hit the lock button, and then press the window up button while quickly removing your arm and shoulder.

Ok, so the key is still in the car, but its a bit more elegant than Ian's solution ;)
Neat idea! ...although I kinda like the idea of people watching you emerge from the boot... it would make a grand entrance!

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I personally don't care if you leave your engine running for a month straight. It's your gas and car . . .

You incorrectly stated it was not illegal, I was just letting you and other readers on the forum know it is. I just don't like people spreading false information.
If this were true then remote starter devices would be illegal and banned from being sold and produced.

That being said, I guess there is no solution here.

· Registered
27 Posts
If you have the advanced key what is to stop you simply getting out of the car whilst the engine is running with key in hand - and locking the car manually?

Forgive me if this idea has already been suggested and knocked back.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
If this were true then remote starter devices would be illegal and banned from being sold and produced.

That being said, I guess there is no solution here.
'
...Well it's basically illegal in the UK (on the public road) and remote starters are sold here... so are radar and laser jammers and they're sold here... I guess beacuse they're not illegal to sell or own, just illegal to use!

In the UK it's determined that you are not in conrol of your vehicle which is a traffic offence.

Anyhoo... Don't know about the advanced key option. I can only think you will have to retrofit a remote starter.

· Registered
198 Posts
Yes remote starters are, according to the word of the law, illegal (In this state at least).

Just because something is sold does not mean it itsn't illegal to use. (I.E. flashing blue lights on your hood where the windshield fliud comes out of, tinted license plate covers, smoked out headlight covers (all available in a pep boys), . . ., NOS systems, and other than car related; you can buy many types of knifes but to carry certain ones may be illegal, mace, you can buy a stun gun but possesing it will land you 1 year mandatory. etc. etc. And I can think of many other examples . . . . .)

We really don't need to get this deep into this, but your logic is wrong. And I don't know why you can't just take my word for it that they are in fact illegal, when knowing the law is my profession.

I guess you could say remote starters arn't banned or enforced becuase no one really gives a crap about them. But as I've said before in many states, yes they are technically, illegal.

Laws by State:
http://www.atri-online.org/research/idling/atri_idlingcompendium7_11_08.pdf

· Registered
383 Posts
What happens if Key and Car get seperated?

I don't have the smart key, so that's why I suggested using the second key to your original question - I wasn't thinking of the smart key.

But anyway, if you keep you key in your pocket and walk away from the car while its running - does it actually switch off at some point?

I rented a Renault Megane in the UK with a smart key and was amazed that I could stand outside of the car, while my friend got in and drove it off into the distance and the only thing that happened was that the warning message came on telling the thief that he did not have the key!!

Anyway, this was a crazy locking system - because it unlocked the doors every time you walked close to the car (to check if the doors were locked), so you could never be sure the doors were locked:)

Wondered how the S5 works...? Knowing the German's the brake would automatically apply, the engine would shut off, the doors would be locked and a call to the cops along with the GPS location of the car would be all done automatically!!

anyone tried the drive away prank:D ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.