Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Recently, I have been moving my DVD collection into an iTunes library using my new MAC systems. Anyways, one of them was i, Robot from 2004. Has anyone seen this movie?

Well, if so....pay close attention to the car Will Smith drives. Yes, it's obviously an Audi...but also take note of the DRLs. I was showing my wife and she was looking at the body style and commented how similar it looks to my A5. So, could this have been an early prototype of the A5?

Food for thought.

Pics

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dang.. and I forgot to add those ball wheels and the glowing Audi rings to mine! Why didn't the dealer offer those options to me on MY A5??? :D

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Com'on man, it is R8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, its an R8 for sure. The movie was filmed in vancouver. I saw the car first hand when they were doing a shoot in New Westminster B.C. They dresses a store front up to look like the Sushi Restaurant that was in the movie and had the movie verion sitting out front.

I came across an R8 today, the driver had a good look at my car and S5DRL's. :cool:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I supposed it does look like the R8. Didn't think about that. The interesting part to all this is that the movie was over 4 years ago!

·
Registered
8 Posts
seems TT+R8 to me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi All,

Recently, I have been moving my DVD collection into an iTunes library using my new MAC systems. Anyways, one of them was i, Robot from 2004. Has anyone seen this movie?

Well, if so....pay close attention to the car Will Smith drives. Yes, it's obviously an Audi...but also take note of the DRLs. I was showing my wife and she was looking at the body style and commented how similar it looks to my A5. So, could this have been an early prototype of the A5?
Hey Arvin,

The car you're talking about is on display in the Audi Museum in Ingolstadt.
It was built for the movie, and is basically a bit of proto-fantasy product placement from Audi.
I saw it yesterday, just before picking up my car. Sorry I don't have a good photo of it.. perhaps my friend who was with my did? I'll email him to check now.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Arvin,

The car you're talking about is on display in the Audi Museum in Ingolstadt.
It was built for the movie, and is basically a bit of proto-fantasy product placement from Audi.
I saw it yesterday, just before picking up my car. Sorry I don't have a good photo of it.. perhaps my friend who was with my did? I'll email him to check now.
That is pretty cool! Makes me wish I had done a Euro delivery option.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Yeah, I supposed it does look like the R8. Didn't think about that. The interesting part to all this is that the movie was over 4 years ago!
My friend who bought an A3 in 2005 received some promotional R8 material which shows the lineage of its development since the early 90's. One of the stages is the iRobot car exactly. I'll scan it when I get a chance.

-Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've just seen I, Robot again over the weekend.
The R8 definitely shares similar styling both inside and out. Just a shame they didn't keep the B-pillar hinged doors!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Saw two R8s yesterday here where I live (suburb/city close to Stockholm) and one was white and the other was deep red. The red one was INCREDIBLE! It sat parked at a resturant near where I live and god damn. If I will ever buy a sports car it will be an R8. It's so nice! But it will be the V12 diesel. Love diesel for both its performance and fuel consumption.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've just seen I, Robot again over the weekend.
The R8 definitely shares similar styling both inside and out. Just a shame they didn't keep the B-pillar hinged doors!
Hey, I see you own the R8 as well as the A5. Nice combo! Does the R8 pull (acceleration) a lot more than the A5 (when it's in its best mood)... ?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Defo more R8'ish if you ask me !!

Wish my A5 DID look more like it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Saw two R8s yesterday here where I live (suburb/city close to Stockholm) and one was white and the other was deep red. The red one was INCREDIBLE! It sat parked at a resturant near where I live and god damn. If I will ever buy a sports car it will be an R8. It's so nice! But it will be the V12 diesel. Love diesel for both its performance and fuel consumption.
I've never driven an R8 TDI but if it's anything like other TDI's I've driven, I'd say the trouble will be a) the exhaust doesn't sound as cool as a high-comp n/a gas motor, and b) the fun is short lived in each gear because the redline is so low (~5500 in the R8?).

Of course since I haven't driven it, the R8 could possibly defy all of that. However, for what it's worth I have a journalist friend who has driven both R8's and without a doubt prefers the V8.

-Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey, I see you own the R8 as well as the A5. Nice combo! Does the R8 pull (acceleration) a lot more than the A5 (when it's in its best mood)... ?

Hi Swedie, I'd say for sure it flys.... I very rarely drive the R8 as a manual as it has been known to scare the c**p out of me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts