Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after checking out insurance quotes for the US, they are through the roof!!!!! Getting the car wouldn't be the problem, its the gas plus high insurance that is the killer for me. The A5s insuance is high too, but its a bit better than the S5 :( Maybe one day I can get the S5. I don't know how all you guys do it with your S5s, but they are awesome cars, and I hope you enjoy them :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm lucky enough that the company I work for lets you use their fleet insurance scheme to insure your car, so long as you buy the car through one of their approved suppliers, which I did. So my insurance for the year including my brother is £260 :)

Sorry wasn't trying to rub it in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm lucky enough that the company I work for lets you use their fleet insurance scheme to insure your car, so long as you buy the car through one of their approved suppliers, which I did. So my insurance for the year including my brother is £260 :)

Sorry wasn't trying to rub it in.
thas what pay a month

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hehe, no thats awesome insurance! For me, since im 27, insurance would be over 2,300 a YEAR.. thats INSANE! An A5 is going to be a little more than 1k less :( still expensive, but I guess thats the price you pay for a nice car :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm in the US and my insurance agent told me $1200-1250
which is about what I pay now for my GTO. I'm 44 so should probably pay a little less then a 27 old but not that much difference. I'm in Arizona which is pretty high up on the insurance rates. I think NY and CA might be higher. I think you need to check around for rates if they told you $2300 a year.

Tonny

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What kind of GTO do you have? I have a 68 convertible and my wife has a 69 convertible. GTOs are cool cars too :) Mine is more of a big time project though.

Yeah, I know Ca is high (used to live there), I think we are going to live in Ohio for awhile until we figure out where we want to live for good (since we are comming back from Germany).

I think any insurance will be a lot more than we pay for our 94 toyota and 89 Audi coupe LOL, but i don't mind. I prob will check around. It can't hurt anything :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Are you in the Army over there or what are you doing in Germany? I got one of the new GTO's it is a 2005 Black with black interior 6.0L V8 LS2 with Auto. a few upgrades so about 425/425 Horse/Torque. Great car for the money.
I have been driving American cars all my life (I'm Swedish been in the states for 14 years) but now I want some more refinement so I have an S5 on order, promised delivery end of May but don't see that happening more likely August or so.

Tonny

PS love the old goats to. almost bought a 69 Convertible not to long ago.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i had my heart set on a '65 tri-power, but that was right after the market for them skyrocketed, probably early-mid 90s.. i wound up getting my original love, a '70 charger, 440/4-sp for a steal from a kid who needed the money..

having worked on that for years and having sold my S4 for a hemi magnum just highlights my need to get back into something that can corner even slightly.. :)

interesting that a bunch of us seem to do the american style muscle car thing too..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nothing wrong with american muscle cars! I have a 1968 olds 442 which is a project but drives. its about 80% finished, has a 455 engine, TH 400 tranny, something like 410hp. I also have a 56 chevy bel air project, but I think I am going to end up selling it to fund my other projects. I have picts of them posted at carsdomain.com

That 70 charger bri is a good car, and will go up in value too :)

The idea of the S5 is still rolling around in my head. I am thinking in the long run, its resale value will be more than the A5. Even the S2 version of my old Audi coupe still goes from crazy money, for a 20 year old car.

yes, my wife and I are both in the army over here in germany. Been here for almost 4 years. I just got back from kuwait a few mths ago. Figured that if we were leaving soon, might as well pick up a german car. Audis are good cars, never drove one before until I got here. I am going to see how long the wait will be for the S5 if I order one in May. I figure a lot longer than the A5 :(

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My S5 insurance cost £380 and Im mid 30s. I was happy with that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that sounds a lot better... I am going to have to shop around. If you have anything that is a 2 door, insurance co.s think you have a sports car, which is kind of dumb if you ask me. I will have to hope for the best. :) thanks for the info everyone!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nice price for your insurance there Doubledoom,who is that with?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I went through moneysupermarket.com and esure came out best for me. Sheila's wheels came out second which was a bit of a laugh (being male and not having a tendency to wear pink dresses at the weekend).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Cheers Doom,i am 35 no point's and mrs is 38 with three point's,i am on her insurance even though she will never get behind the wheel of my S5 and pay around £700 fully comp thats with autodirect with full no claim's protect.I will certainly try and get a better deal come December when it is due again as looking at your price i feel slightly ripped off,cheer's m8 thank's for the info ;)
(Well not your weekend dress fantasy's anyways :D )

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got a good deal from admiral who do a multi car policy discount.My wife and i(both mid 30) insured the s5 and s3 for £700 all in. They are def worth a look if insuring 2 cars.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 1970 -72 44 (besides the 68 I own of course) are some of the nicest looking Olds cars! With the GTOs, I like the 68-69, 71-72.. 70 is ok but I liked the later GTOs snout better for some reason. Nothing wrong with a Hemi charger either :)

I am still trying to decide if I should get the S5 or not. A lot of me wants to take the plunge, but in the back of my mind, I keep thinking about high gas prices and insurance :) I'll have to see. To be honest, I would rather get the turbo diesel over the S5.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.