Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, apologies if this has been run before but I couldn't find an answer.

I have used an iPod Classic for years (on trains, planes etc..). I have now connected to my new A5 which has all the MMI AMI iPod links etc... My question is Chrismas present related. Is it worth getting a smaller cheaper iPod Nano or shuffle to put my tunes on and leaving in the car and allowing me to take to Classic elsewhere as previously.

Does anyone have any recommendations /experience of running 2 iPods on i Tunes and connecting one or the other to the Audi MMI.

Any advice gratefully received... Am tempted to buy a Nano???:eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I run my both my 80GB ipod and my wifes 8gb nano off my itunes - not a problem.

I want to do the same as you and leave my ipod permanently in the car, but I only have the concert radio and no idea whether I can get an ipod attachment (only collected my car 4 weeks ago so don't know if its mmi or ami)

cheers

mallory

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've ran several iPods on iTunes (4 in fact), and there's no problem. I don't have my A5 yet, but it's been ordered, and my intention is to leave the iPod in the car.

You need AMI to get iPod to work (and the cable)

·
Registered
953 Posts
I thought about leaving my ipod in the car but I am going to leave a 250gig hard drive in there instead. I have a lot of music and this seems the best way to do it.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run my both my 80GB ipod and my wifes 8gb nano off my itunes - not a problem.

I want to do the same as you and leave my ipod permanently in the car, but I only have the concert radio and no idea whether I can get an ipod attachment (only collected my car 4 weeks ago so don't know if its mmi or ami)

cheers

mallory
4 weeks and you don't know if it's got MMI or AMI!!! You must be enjoying driving too much. AMI is/was a £200 ish option. I think MMI comes with the DVD Nav/6CD etc. not sure what works with Concert radio. Take a look at this link..

http://accessories.audi.co.uk/acces...elCode=27&model.categoryId=103&model.keyword=

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hard Drive with AMI

Hi Highrisedrifter- how do you plan to connect a 250GB HD??? I would love to do this! more info please!

I thought about leaving my ipod in the car but I am going to leave a 250gig hard drive in there instead. I have a lot of music and this seems the best way to do it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Highrisedrifter- how do you plan to connect a 250GB HD??? I would love to do this! more info please!
Based on what you AUDI manual says, Audi made a couple of cables to tap into and connect in the glove box to the MMI.. One of them is a USB cable that will definitely allow you to connect up a HD... Its very similiar to the IPOD cable.. However, I believe I read that the external HD can't support more than a specific size HD due to the power draw.. The USB interface can only supply so much power through the connector.. I'll look into the manual to find out the specifics... Unless somebody beats me to it and already knows..

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
See this thread. It will tell you everything you need to know about connecting a hard drive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks everyone - an excellent use of those spare/old 2.5" laptop drives floating around. Also the 4F0051510H cable and a USB HDD enclousre can be easily found on ebay.

·
Registered
132 Posts
USB drives

In case it was not covered elsewhere the drive needs to be FAT32 as the system does not recognise NTFS drives and unfortunatley it is not possible to go back from NTFS as far as I can find out

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is sorta on topic, but if I'm reading this right it is claimed that you cannot reformat to FAT32 from NTFS?

Not true.

What you need to do is delete the partition. Only after deleting the partition the format is lost and you will need to re-format. From that point you can choose whatever you want.

You will need a utility program to do this. My personal favorite is something called Gdisk, which came with Norton Ghost. Either way, if you have access to a Windows-based computer, you can use Fdisk as well. For instructions on how to partition/format a disk using Fdisk I would recommend using Google.

·
Registered
132 Posts
FAt32

This is sorta on topic, but if I'm reading this right it is claimed that you cannot reformat to FAT32 from NTFS?

Not true.

What you need to do is delete the partition. Only after deleting the partition the format is lost and you will need to re-format. From that point you can choose whatever you want.

You will need a utility program to do this. My personal favorite is something called Gdisk, which came with Norton Ghost. Either way, if you have access to a Windows-based computer, you can use Fdisk as well. For instructions on how to partition/format a disk using Fdisk I would recommend using Google.
Yoiu are quite right - memory is going in old age - I right click on My computer > Manage > disks > delete partition

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts