Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Gang, Well as you may or may not know I woz on here for a few years cos I had a lovely old and scruffy A5 3200 2WD which I had loads of fun driving as well as restoring to something of her former glory. When I recently parted company with my Italian employer and as I was no longer really using the A5 and I needed the garage space she went.
Well guess what???? I just found a nice LHD Audi S4 V8 in the UK and er well mmmmmmmmmmm.
Watch this space!!!!!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Good to hear from you Simon. Trust you are well. Do it man! You know you want to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan, wot a gent!! Teaser picture of the S4 now on my profile, I cannot wait to hear the V8 growl.......

·
Registered
390 Posts
Welcome back Simon.
Yes the lovely old B6 S4 they do make a lovely noise.
They have the old school 40v engine with conventional fuel delivery over the inlet valves so no carbon issues like the fsi engines.
I assume you are aware of the chain tensioner issues?
Most will have been sorted by now they usually need doing at around 100k miles.
That being said I had a B7 S4 and with over 140k miles when I sold it I never had that problem.
Buy it you'll love it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Welcome back Simon!
Are there no S4s in Italy? :)
I know LHD cars in the UK tend to be slightly lower in price, but would there be any export/import duty?

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome back Simon!
Are there no S4s in Italy? :)
I know LHD cars in the UK tend to be slightly lower in price, but would there be any export/import duty?
Thanks for the info everyone, most useful, I am a virgin when it comes to V8s so all help is very welcome. Yes, there are loads of cars here in Italy BUT here is the rub:

When I left my company, I "bought" the A5 from the company, we had her registered to the company to offset tax and stuff. Well to transfer the A5 into my name cost (wait for it) 1200 Euro. And then the annual road tax was 1000 Euro, all because here you pay this shite based on the horsepower of the car. So the second hand market is on its ass and any car with an engine over 2000 is considered a luxury car and hammered by the stupid government.

Hence I offloaded the A5, and the new S4 is on UK plates. Crazy eh??

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think you'll love it. Every petrolhead should own at least 1 V8 in their lifetime before its too late. Every time you fire it up the noise just makes you smile and every drive is like an occasion.
Mine was an auto too but I think if I could have changed anything I would have had a manual in that car but the auto was still good.
Be prepared for some regular fill ups and have a contingency in place for if the dreaded tensioners fail (£2k might cover it) other than that they're mostly pretty solid.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think you'll love it. Every petrolhead should own at least 1 V8 in their lifetime before its too late. Every time you fire it up the noise just makes you smile and every drive is like an occasion.
Mine was an auto too but I think if I could have changed anything I would have had a manual in that car but the auto was still good.
Be prepared for some regular fill ups and have a contingency in place for if the dreaded tensioners fail (£2k might cover it) other than that they're mostly pretty solid.
SJ, I couldn’t have put it better 👍

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hehe thanks guys!!! Well I collected her today and blimey WHAT a car. Mine is 2006 with FASH (Audi Switzerland) plus more MOT certificates and receipts than I have ever seen. I just drove 300km home and I am seriously in love with the car. Wowowowowowow.

Ps I once worked for LRL Solihull and when we had the RR is was only available with the V8 petrol engine which was stunning but that that time the range was 200 miles max......gulp.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok Joe will do, not sure about the B number so will now add some pics mate and you can tell me. Ta.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Looks in nice order from that angle Simon. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's 2005 B6 mate. Looks good. Should have a single exit tailpipe each side.
Yes Joe thanks I just worked this from Wikipedia, single tail pipes yes!! And that engine just sounds soooooooo lovely.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ps I bought the car from a great guy in London Kings Cross, they are Transeuropean Carriage Company. I bought it without viewing, and 3 days later they drove it down to Roma for me and we met near the airport. Lovely guys and GREAT service. Arfur Daly eat yer heart out......

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This weekend I plan to take the S4 for a good run to try her so watch this space, report to follow......

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well gang, here I am, and yes the big smile is indeed still on my stupid face!!!! Goodness, this car sure has some grunt and I NOW understand why you all rave about the Audi quattro system, it is indeed truly amazing. I did not go far cos the weather was so good I took advantage of the sun and took a bike out for a very fast ride instead.....Anyway, back to the old S4 bus. Mine is a 2005 vintage with 190k kms and she has been very well kept by a Brit guy who visited Switzerland alot for work, so I am told. She has LOADS of service stamps plus MOT certificates and stuff as well as instruction books in English and in French. I have started to give her some TLC so I tried a great leather cleaning product on just one of the front seats to start with and wow she looks and smells better already. I will post product details asap.

Now to stage two. I have found a place that reconditions alloy wheels so I will now take them off and deliver them for reworking. More pics and stuff to come!!;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Glad you're enjoying it Simon.
Yes the quattro really is awesome compared to a fwd car.
You can pull out of side streets in complete confidence knowing that you won't sit there spinning the wheels.
It's also fun mashing the go pedal from the traffic lights and watching everyone else go backwards.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Indeed SJ BUT the fuel guage seems to be almost as fast as the rev counter so I am trying to keep my right foot under control ish hehe, but wow what a wonderful engine!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts