Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can say is wow... I tried playing around with the paddle shifters yesterday and what a surprise... I didn't expect the TIP to be this responsive....I do have the audi select option not sure if this is a big difference to a non select car but its awsome. Im coming from an 08 BMW M5 with SMG and its the same if not better in regards to response to gear shifting... downshifting is smooth and upshifting is fast!... this car doesn't stop putting a smile on my face... No regrets going for the TIP... just got the windows tinted 20% all around. 15mm spacers all around next. Will post pics later...

·
Registered
493 Posts
:) Yep the tiptronic is fantastic. Never ever thought I would choose manual after I got my car :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
All I can say is wow... I tried playing around with the paddle shifters yesterday and what a surprise... I didn't expect the TIP to be this responsive....I do have the audi select option not sure if this is a big difference to a non select car but its awsome. Im coming from an 08 BMW M5 with SMG and its the same if not better in regards to response to gear shifting... downshifting is smooth and upshifting is fast!... this car doesn't stop putting a smile on my face... No regrets going for the TIP... just got the windows tinted 20% all around. 15mm spacers all around next. Will post pics later...
Just think how big that smile on your face would be if you had the manual:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah the recent Tiptronics are really great. In fact I've tried out DSG and it's a great automatic but really not much better than tiptronic. People definitely exaggerate about the differences, even with the torque converter in the Tip.

Still, I had a Tiptronic in my 2005 S4 and it was a mistake. As great as it is technically, it sucks all the fun out of driving. I'll never get DSG or Tip as long as they manufacture a manual. I went back to the manual with my S5 -- but really it's just great that Audi offers both with this vehicle, unlike Mercedes or Lexus that really limit the manual versions.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just think how big that smile on your face would be if you had the manual:D
two points :D

(I have the manual, but I was surprised at the tip in sport mode...it even down-shifts nicely)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's hard for me to drive in Dynamic (sport) mode in normal driving situations. Any slowing must be followed by an immediate accelleration or she's not happy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
somewhat agree..

I love my Tip, and the wee bit of longing I have for the manual at certain moments is completely made up for and then some, by the oh so many moments I sit in traffic thinking about how annoyed Id be having to work that clutch every few seconds for twenty minutes straight. Anyone who drives in and out of San Francisco knows exaaaaaaaactly what Im talking about.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know this is slightly off topic, but you mentioned you were installing 15mm spacers. Seeing that you list boston as your home location, do you think it would be better to wait till spring to put on the spacers to avoid the extra splash of slush, dirt, salt, and ice that you would get with spaced wheels? I hear people take their spacers off for the winter and back on in the spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not to sound biased, but at the end you really get bored with the TIP. This is not F1, but standard, everyday driving where at the end you just put it into D or S and let it go. I even tried to use the wheel shifters for downshifts and the center console gear shifter for upshifts to make it fun, but that got a bit boring as well. Back to my standard cars now, much happier, even in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Not to sound biased, but at the end you really get bored with the TIP.
Not to sound biased, but at the end of the day I have been and will continue to be absolutely thrilled with my Tiptronic S5. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not to sound biased, but at the end you really get bored with the TIP. This is not F1, but standard, everyday driving where at the end you just put it into D or S and let it go. I even tried to use the wheel shifters for downshifts and the center console gear shifter for upshifts to make it fun, but that got a bit boring as well. Back to my standard cars now, much happier, even in heavy traffic.
I'm happy with Tip. Who wants to sit in traffic with a manual.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm happy with Tip. Who wants to sit in traffic with a manual.
Certainly true that the tip is more convenient at times and does a very nice job--I have it in the 09 A4 with drive select and it is nice when I am in a more docile mood;) but it will never match the fun in driving the S5 manual(way different cars I KNOW)--still to each their own:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts