Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

· Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it took us long enough, but it looks like I have a solution that works.

The LED festoons that I used to replace the stock license plate festoons can be found at tunerdomes.com here:

http://www.tunerdomes.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=49

These are 1 watt and draw enough current to work with no "bulb out" error. I have not tried it yet, but I assume the same bulbs will work for the other 36mm festoons in the car. The first pic is a comparison between the 1 watt LED festoon and the stock bulb, the second pic just confirms the model of festoon bulb I used.

Good luck and enjoy.

A word of caution for the newer members who want to try this, please read the ENTIRE original post carefully and thoroughly before attempting. If you do it wrong, you will either break the bulb holder (trying to pry it off) or lose your wires inside your trunk lid.

Attachments

· Registered
225 Posts
could do with a list of which bulbs in the car this might replace, ie vanity mirror? footwell lighting? reading lights etc??

I purchased a complete set of xenon look interior lights for my M3, they were not LED but really changed the interior look to the car... I did the fogs and licence plate bulbs just to complete the look...

It was a US supplier called Bimmian who provided very useful video tutorials on how to install each one, very useful to avoid sticking a screw driver somewhere you should not! ;) pretty sure they dont do Audi, but maybe if any of you US members are nearby you could give them a call??

Jason

· Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the info! Will try it.

Now, what bulbs do you use to change the backup lights (reverse lights)? The OEM are really yellow and again, I'd like some bright white, LED, or even blue tinted bulbs to light up when putting the car in reverse.

· Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys, there are a few post on the forum that explain which bulbs are used for everything from the front fogs to dome light etc. Use the search feature and search for "bulbs". I will give you a little help on this one, but make sure you use the search becasue there is a wealth of good info you will find very useful.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/change-out-festoons-1718/index.html?p=22535

and here:
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/change-out-festoons-1718/index2.html?p=23260

Enjoy...(and use the search) ;)

· Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks for the info! Will try it.

Now, what bulbs do you use to change the backup lights (reverse lights)? The OEM are really yellow and again, I'd like some bright white, LED, or even blue tinted bulbs to light up when putting the car in reverse.
Here's all the bulbs by location:

High & low beam headlamp
HID-D3S

Parking light
2825LL

Front turn signal
H21W (64136)

Rear turn signal
7506LL

Tail light
7506LL

Stop light
7506LL

High mount stop light
2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Fog/Driving light
H11-55W

License plate
6418LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light
921LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker
2825LL

Glove box

Map light

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area

· Registered
457 Posts
LOL, you know what? I popped open my plate lights after reading this, and those are the exact ones they shipped me...they must've shipped me the wrong ones! ! ! But they worked out and I didn't even notice until this post!

I've updated my DIY in my original post with the more current and corrected LED link:
http://www.tunerdomes.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=49

Thanks ccompton for solving the mystery.

· Registered
415 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you're worried about those reverse lights. I mean, they're on about 0.1% of the time.

And I'll be expecting a royalty check for the thread title... =)

· Registered
3,586 Posts
LOL :D Yeah, when I read the title of this thread, I immediately thought of your DRL/turn signal puzzle thread.

I agree about the very minimal use of the reverse lights. I'm not going to bother with changing those. Plus, I'm quite pleased with how much light they put out when using the rear-view camera at night.

· Registered
225 Posts
This could be very useful, they will do a group buy if someone wants to do the homework?? ;)

Jason

· Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess it depends on how much you're worried about those reverse lights. I mean, they're on about 0.1% of the time.

I will give you 100% of the royalties I receive. :D

· Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This could be very useful, they will do a group buy if someone wants to do the homework?? ;)

Jason
Hi Jason, the problem with these interior Xenons is that they are not as bright as the LEDs.

· Registered
225 Posts
good point well made;) I was thinking we could use the diagram to list which bulbs would be used where in the car and list the led alternative... I did they they did LED's also... :confused:

· Registered
68 Posts
Here's all the bulbs by location:

High & low beam headlamp
HID-D3S

Parking light
2825LL

Front turn signal
H21W (64136)

Rear turn signal
7506LL

Tail light
7506LL

Stop light
7506LL

High mount stop light

Fog/Driving light
H11-55W

License plate

Back up light
921LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker
2825LL

Glove box

Map light

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area
I know many of you guys have been switching the 6418 and 2825 with LED versions since these two bulbs are found in quite a few places within the car. I was wondering, for those of you who have switched out the reverse lights, what manufacturer or type of bulb (xenon vs LED vs blue-tint, etc) did you use to change the 921 bulb for the reverse light. Which bulb/technique gives the best, brightest and whitest illumination to replace those yucky, yellow bulbs currently in the reverse light socket?

· Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I'm not seeing an obvious similar solution for the 2825 (map lights and stem/courtesy lights). Any ideas there? Figured I'd order everything at once. Going to need two of these 6418 36mm 1 watt bulbs for the dome lights right? There's a light you see a lot (unlike the reverse, I agree).

· Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm not seeing an obvious similar solution for the 2825 (map lights and stem/courtesy lights). Any ideas there? Figured I'd order everything at once. Going to need two of these 6418 36mm 1 watt bulbs for the dome lights right? There's a light you see a lot (unlike the reverse, I agree).
Hey house,

I am ordering a couple more of the 1 watt bulbs for the dome light too...TX and I were just wondering the same yesterday on the map lights...I don't think the 2825 (wedge light) can come in an LED...but there are a lot of HID-like replacements available PIAA makes one:
http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Ligh...il~and~accessories~bulbs-No-23847-1-1-1-1.cfm

· Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hey house,

I am ordering a couple more of the 1 watt bulbs for the dome light too...TX and I were just wondering the same yesterday on the map lights...I don't think the 2825 (wedge light) can come in an LED...but there are a lot of HID-like replacements available PIAA makes one:
http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Ligh...il~and~accessories~bulbs-No-23847-1-1-1-1.cfm
Okay...so I lied...

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/4481033/vpcsid/0/SFV/32481

I just don't know what the power draw is...but it shouldn't need to be that much.

UPDATE: I just ordered a few of the LED 2825 bulbs...we'll see how it goes. I will let you know.

· Registered
487 Posts
Hey CCompton,

I noticed your temp tag said Ohio, but your profile says Dallas, TX ???

· Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey CCompton,

I noticed your temp tag said Ohio, but your profile says Dallas, TX ???
Bought the car from Maine, the bank is in Ohio (US Bank), and I live in Texas. SO the bank sent me the temp tag. :cool:

1 - 20 of 196 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.