Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before we get started, I should mention a little soap and some deodorant go a long way. Everyone cleaned-up? Cool...let's get the Q-tips out now.

My car is ordered, but it isn't too late to change an option or two. I have experience with the different Audi sound systems in almost every model except the A5. Every A5/S5 we've received (I work for the dealership) has had the B&O sound. It looks like my car is going to be the first without it.

I intentionally did not order B&O because I've always felt it made things sound synthetic/unnatural - especially in the Q7. I listen to a lot of recording of live shows and it seems to throw the surround sound through a loop - nobody likes to hear volume or sound redirection changes in the middle of a song.

In a nutshell....am I going to be sorry I didn't get the B&O? I know I can always add an aftermarket amp and some speakers at the end of the day.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've always put expensive aftermarket systems in my cars, but the standard (Bose) sound system in the A5 is top draw if you ask me. No, you won't be able to set off adjacent car alarms with the bass shakes, but it's more than enough for me, and I like my music loud and bassy.

T

·
Registered
24 Posts
One thing you should know about B&O. The sistem changes and modifies the sound in such a way that it looses "accuracy" if you like. B&O concentrates more on the art of the sound making it sound phenomenal to a normal person that doesn't work in the music industry . So if you want exact replica of the sound you should stick with audi soundsistem and add some after market speakers.

If you want art coming out from your speakers...B&O is the answer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always put expensive aftermarket systems in my cars, but the standard (Bose) sound system in the A5 is top draw if you ask me. No, you won't be able to set off adjacent car alarms with the bass shakes, but it's more than enough for me, and I like my music loud and bassy.

T
There was one post in one of the threads TXcarguy posted that said something along those lines as well. I appreciate your response - you're definitely making me feel better about forgoing the B&O :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See the following thread containing lots of posts from members who responded to a similar question posed about how the base system compares to the Bang & Olufsen sound system. It appears the responses convinced the person to upgrade to the B&O.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/bang-olufsen-premium-2004/index.html?t=2004
Thanks for the links :cool:

I've been moderating various forums since the late 90's and realize the value of search. I apologize for not doing that. I also realize the value of the site-owner's opinion ;)

As things are turning out, it seems this thread is making a decent argument against the B&O for people in a musical situation such as mine.

One thing you should know about B&O. The sistem changes and modifies the sound in such a way that it looses "accuracy" if you like. B&O concentrates more on the art of the sound making it sound phenomenal to a normal person that doesn't work in the music industry . So if you want exact replica of the sound you should stick with audi soundsistem and add some after market speakers.

If you want art coming out from your speakers...B&O is the answer.
That is an excellent way to explain the differences - thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Follow-up:

We finally got a S5 in without B&O, and I think the "base" sound system is plenty nice. After finally hearing a S5 rev, I think it would be a waste to upgrade to the B&O because you're always going to be listening to that exhaust note!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts