Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first day I had it, I went 120. Just the other day I went 130. I'm not sure how much to push it considering I'm under 1000 miles.

What do you guys think? Currently, I'm not rough with the engine and I don't do much heavy acceleration.

Should I just drive it like I stole it or ease into it....?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
We've covered this so many times before. No, take it easy.

Don't believe what other forums say when they tell you that hammering it will loosen the engine up and make it perform better in the long run etc etc. Because when it comes to them having to return the car and get an engine transplant, and then to find that the manufacturer are refusing to cover it under warranty, they're often forced to swallow that "advice".

It tells you in the handbook to take it easy for a reason.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Take it easy, from time to time you can push a little bit harder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The first 1000 miles are crucial, its when all of the moving parts are bedding in. I was given some expert advice by a master engine re-builder who said that what you need to do in order to get a good engine is to make it work, this does not meen rev the nuts off it, but rather drive it up some pretty steep hills under normal engine load conditions. However do not drive it up a steep hill whilst towing a caravan as this is too much load! He also said it is crucial to change the oil after the first 1000 miles! I haven;t read the owners manuel so i don't know if audi recommend doing this.

In short you must resist the overwhelming temptation to floor it and rip up the tarmac for at least another 600 miles i am affraid. There arnt many advantages of buying second hand but that is one of them:thumbsup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you.

I just think its funny cause the final question I asked my dealer was 'anything I need to know since its brand new?' he told me- not to use cruise control for 3,000 miles

·
Registered
324 Posts
In short the stealer was right, when running in an engine it is "advisable" not to sit on one speed and hence revs. So with cruise contol doing just that - don't use cruise. As for the 1000 service, i didn't look to see where you were from so 1000 miles or 1000 km, doesn't make too much difference but take it in. Change the oil and oil filter as these are the main parts that collect all the metal shavings from the new parts bedding in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts