Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today, in New York, I went down to Park & 47th where, it was rumored that, an S5 was located. To my pleasure, I walked in to see the bright red car smiling back at me :) I immediately took in all the lines, what a gorgeous looking car. Then I went and sat in it. The front seats were amazing and everything felt in place. I had to know how the backseats felt. So my sister and I jumped into the back. There are these nifty panels on each of the front seats that allows the person in the backseat to move the front seats forwards and backwards (what a run on sentence!). Sitting in the back, with the front seats at a comfortable position, I felt very comfortable. I am 5 ft. 9 in. and the ceiling only barely touched my hair. I would have no problems sitting in those back seats for an hour or so.

The best part came when the sales rep started up the engine. While not very intense on the startup, the idle noise was pure and deep. Then I asked him to rev the engine... dear lord the sound was AMAZING. Especially through the exhaust pipes. This was better than the sound I had heard in the videos on YouTube.

Unfortunately, I did not get to test the B&O sound system, it refused to work :( I had brought a CD and everything. According to the sales rep, it's not as good as the onein the S8 (since there's less room in the S5) but that it was still really kicking.

Sorry, didn't have my camera, but I did get to play with all the knobs, sit in the seats, etc. so if you have any questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer!

EDIT: TOTALLY FORGOT TO MENTION THIS!!! The rear visibility is very very poor. We're talking Enzo Ferrari poor. This car has lost some points on my want list for that reason.

·
Registered
273 Posts
So today, in New York, I went down to Park & 47th where, it was rumored that, an S5 was located. To my pleasure, I walked in to see the bright red car smiling back at me :) I immediately took in all the lines, what a gorgeous looking car. Then I went and sat in it. The front seats were amazing and everything felt in place. I had to know how the backseats felt. So my sister and I jumped into the back. There are these nifty panels on each of the front seats that allows the person in the backseat to move the front seats forwards and backwards (what a run on sentence!). Sitting in the back, with the front seats at a comfortable position, I felt very comfortable. I am 5 ft. 9 in. and the ceiling only barely touched my hair. I would have no problems sitting in those back seats for an hour or so.

The best part came when the sales rep started up the engine. While not very intense on the startup, the idle noise was pure and deep. Then I asked him to rev the engine... dear lord the sound was AMAZING. Especially through the exhaust pipes. This was better than the sound I had heard in the videos on YouTube.

Unfortunately, I did not get to test the B&O sound system, it refused to work :( I had brought a CD and everything. According to the sales rep, it's not as good as the onein the S8 (since there's less room in the S5) but that it was still really kicking.

Sorry, didn't have my camera, but I did get to play with all the knobs, sit in the seats, etc. so if you have any questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer!

I guess that means they put the car back in that showroom. It had been gone for a few months. Did they have any full-bore brochures yet? The last time I checked with them they only had a small fold out card. (BTW, did you check out the R8 while you were there. It is way cool, no?)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that means they put the car back in that showroom. It had been gone for a few months. Did they have any full-bore brochures yet? The last time I checked with them they only had a small fold out card. (BTW, did you check out the R8 while you were there. It is way cool, no?)
R8 is gone, sadly :( I got a brochure for it, though. The S5 still only has the foldout teaser brochure.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi Tony,

I'm jelous of you to have at least seen one in person and sat in it. I'm in Ohio, do you think its worth the trip to go see it or perhaps I take my chances and go up to Auburn Hills, MI?

Anyways, about the rear viewing. I use to be the same way, always using my rearview mirror. Anyways, having a son I use my rearview mirror now more than ever in my mini-van. However, its not to look out the rear window, but to see what my son is up to in the back seat. My point is, everything you really need is right in front of you and the side mirrors. That's just my opinion anyways.

I do have a question RE: the S5. I'm assuming size wise inside/out it will be the same as the A5. so, is there good legroom for someone 6' 0" tall? Also, is it bigger or smaller than pictures depict it to be?

Arvin

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hi Tony,

I'm jelous of you to have at least seen one in person and sat in it. I'm in Ohio, do you think its worth the trip to go see it or perhaps I take my chances and go up to Auburn Hills, MI?

Anyways, about the rear viewing. I use to be the same way, always using my rearview mirror. Anyways, having a son I use my rearview mirror now more than ever in my mini-van. However, its not to look out the rear window, but to see what my son is up to in the back seat. My point is, everything you really need is right in front of you and the side mirrors. That's just my opinion anyways.

I do have a question RE: the S5. I'm assuming size wise inside/out it will be the same as the A5. so, is there good legroom for someone 6' 0" tall? Also, is it bigger or smaller than pictures depict it to be?

Arvin
Hey AB. I've seen that S5 too, and sat on it :). To answer your question about the size, a 6' 0'' seats nicely in the front. I didn't try the backseats, but I can tell that you have to seat streat in order to feat. Outside, the car seamed longer in picture than reality, but it is pretty wide and low. It's very sportive looking, more live than in pictures.

About the trip being worth, I think that is always worth going to NYC because I love it :) . I also loved to see the S5, I can't wait for my local dealer to have one.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thanks for the info...I think I'll be patient for my local dealer too.

Say what do you think about the rear view from the drivers seat.

By the way I will be driving most of the time, so not too worried about the backseat.

Arvin

G

·
EDIT: TOTALLY FORGOT TO MENTION THIS!!! The rear visibility is very very poor. We're talking Enzo Ferrari poor. This car has lost some points on my want list for that reason.
You can't have been sat in an S5 then as the visability is pretty good. Had one for 2 weeks now and have not had a single problem with visability at all. Find that comment very strange.:confused:

You also have not been in a Ferrari Enzo either if you compare it to an S5.:D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Maybe it depends on your height and it being outside versus in a showroom.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can't have been sat in an S5 then as the visability is pretty good. Had one for 2 weeks now and have not had a single problem with visability at all. Find that comment very strange.:confused:

You also have not been in a Ferrari Enzo either if you compare it to an S5.:D
ELSTIMPO I didn't feel too safe in that car lol. Maybe I need a second opinion but whatever, we'll see.

G

·
ELSTIMPO I didn't feel too safe in that car lol. Maybe I need a second opinion but whatever, we'll see.
Think you need to actually drive one around the streets and see that the back windown is plenty big enough. Honestly, since having mine, the thought that the back window is small has never crossed my mind.;)

My 360 however, well reverse parking isn't for the weak :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think you need to actually drive one around the streets and see that the back windown is plenty big enough. Honestly, since having mine, the thought that the back window is small has never crossed my mind.;)

My 360 however, well reverse parking isn't for the weak :D
LOL no kidding. Well, I decided I'm going to put in an order on the S5 tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll drive the demo when it gets here in a month. If the demo and price are both good then I'm gonna go forward with it :) I'm afraid they're going to wack us Americans with an outrageous price...

·
Registered
273 Posts
LOL no kidding. Well, I decided I'm going to put in an order on the S5 tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll drive the demo when it gets here in a month. If the demo and price are both good then I'm gonna go forward with it :) I'm afraid they're going to wack us Americans with an outrageous price...
If your dealer will take your order without a deposit, God bless. I think the odds of that happening and you actually getting a car are slim to none. There will be very few S5s coming to the States this year and it is a very desirable car. Without a deposit, what will likely happen is the car you order will be sold out from under you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your dealer will take your order without a deposit, God bless. I think the odds of that happening and you actually getting a car are slim to none. There will be very few S5s coming to the States this year and it is a very desirable car. Without a deposit, what will likely happen is the car you order will be sold out from under you.
Trust me, they won't do this if they want to build loyal customers as Audi is saying... I will give them royal hell if they do. I went to them weeks ago, they have always remembered my name and called me when they decided to do their allocation. So far they have treated me like a customer, not trash--I wouldn't expect them to turn on me when they have such a convinced customer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.