Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
421 - 440 of 484 Posts
My U A D CarPlay kit arrived today. It looks very professional but I‘m a bit concerned about the fact that it claims to be engineered in the UK but there’s a small label on the side with Chinese writing on it. I’ll probably fit it tomorrow and I’ll let you know how it goes.
Electronics Technology Electronic device Cable Electronics accessory
Tire Automotive tire

Hi,
I've just installed the Joyeauto WJAU-1 into my A5 Cabriolet 2012 B8.5. I find it to be excellent, and really brings the car up to date. I'll post some pics and videos on it operating shortly.

The thing most concerning me was getting the microphone in place, so I took some photos to help others installing the same kit. I accept no responsibility for any damage to you or your vehicle, that is caused by following these instructions.

The first thing to do is pop the upper light switch out, by using a plastic pry tool at the rear of the unit. It is held on with two metal retaining clips and pops out quite easily.

Next there, is a small circular plastic cover on the passenger visor (RHD car) that pops out with a small flat blade screw driver. Underneath is a T20 torx screw, which you need to remove. This will give you the little bit of play that you need to pull down the upper lining next to the windscreen.

Next get a plastic pry tool and pull down a little on the liner to allow light to show through to the windscreen. This is shown in pic 1.

Using a set of needle nose pliers grab hold of the minijack end of the microphone and put it through the gap. This is not the easiest part, but it means you do not have to remove the full roof liner.

Once the mini jack is next to the windscreen, route it along to the A-Pillar.

You next need to pull the A-Pillar away from the roof liner. This is shown in Pic 3. In a UK RHD car (looking at the A-Pillar), that means pulling the A-Pillar cover to the left).

You should then be able to route the cable down, by peeling back the rubber seal, down the A-Pillar and routing the mic cable down to the glovebox area. From there it's easy to route across to the newly installed unit above the glovebox.

There did not appear to be any airbag components in my A-Pillar (perhaps as it's a cabriolet), so I had no concerns that I was going to cause an issues.

Hopefully helpful for others looking to install this kit, or a microphone in a B8.5 Cabriolet.

Cheers, Lee

Attachments

After fitting the U A D CarPlay kit I would definitely NOT recommend it. It looked good when I first took it out of the box, but when I came to install it a few days later I realised the instructions were practically useless. I had installed an electronic device into my Mercedes SCL that allowed me to raise and lower the roof out of the car using the key. I'd never done anything like it before but it was so easy because of the clear concise instructions.
When I finally got the kit installed it wouldn't work. U A D (who, contrary to what some have said, did give some support) told me it was the gateway connector. This multi pin connector is in a very difficult position connect and because the pins are so flimsy it's very easy to bend or break the pins if the two halves are not lined up exactly. They had also sent me the wrong audio cable and tried to blame me for the mistake and charge me extra for the correct cable. They did eventually send me a new gateway connector and the correct audio cable f.o.c.
Long story short because I had a lot of problems with this unit. The microphone wouldn't work unless I held it right next to my mouth, and then it was too muffled to make a phone call. Luckily I discovered this before I went to the trouble of routing it along the windscreen. Next was the touch screen, which didn't work at all. I ended up breaking the very flimsy connector after U A D suggested I hadn't connected it properly (as they did with the microphone). So after driving the car a couple if times I removed it because the reflection it caused made it very difficult to read the screen.
So the only thing that works for me is the navigation, which was my original reason for wanting it because I really like using Apple maps to navigate by. It was an expensive way of getting that feature though.
One last thing. I seem to recall someone saying on this thread that they sent their unit back because it was too dark. I do not have that problem. Here is a photo!

Hi,

I have what I believe is the same unit as the UAD unit, but instead directly supplied by the manufacturer. Mine is a Joyeauto WJAU-1, which is the touchscreen version for my no MMI Audi A5 cabriolet. I thought it worth providing an update on my unit.

I initially had two issues with my unit, which I have since managed to get resolved.

1) The first was a row of differently lit pixels across my screen when using the unit. It turned out that a replacement screen I sourced from aliexpress sorted that for the princely sum of £17 delivered. My original screen was an 8T0 919 603F, with the replacement an 8T0 919 603G. I had removed the antiglare film on my original screen, using Plast-X, and it may have been that which caused the problem with the screen, but the brand new screen has an unmarked anti-glare filter in place and so my screen now looks great.

2) The second was an odd issue when holding my finger on the screen for longer than 1 second. The unit would switch off. I first noticed this when I was adjusting the contrast and brightness. After speaking with the supplier, they confirmed that this was a facility to switch the unit on and off when your car is not fitted with steering wheel controls. I wasn't initially convinced, as have not seen any B8 cars without steering wheel controls, but I guess they may exist in other markets around the world, This does still cause a very minor issue with moving your finger around on maps, but with a little practice can be worked around with shorter touches of the screen.

Minor issues I have encountered:-

1) Handshaking when you get out of the car and back in after a short period (2-3 mins) to grab an ice cream, whilst leaving the missus in the car. Getting back in the car, and the unit seems to have lost connection. To get round this I have begun taking my key out of the car each time. I have also found that on the odd occasion that you need to unlock your phone when getting back into the car after a short duration, to allow it to connect. Relatively minor issue in my opinion.

2) Another minor issue is with RadioPlayer app. It does not always display the correct information on screen, but it is running, and so pressing on the appropriate section on screen works fine. I haven't looked to see what other apps are available yet. I have experienced quite a few audio drop outs using this app, but I guess that is par for the course with what reception your phone is receiving.

3) The unit has lost screen connection (but not audio) on one occasion. I had to go into the unit's menu system and select reboot phone, which solved it.

4) Darker screen. On occasion, the screen has not recognised that the backlight should have come on. I've seen this occur maybe twice in 6 weeks. It does appear to be based on your iPhone settings for day/night, but I wonder if it may be related to my phone being in my pocket and the ambient light sensor? It's no biggie for me.

Why it's great...

I have most of my favourite music stored on my iphone (40Gb worth) in ALAC (Uncompressed format) and the music app interface is great for navigating around this. The ability to show album artwork makes the screen look so much better than the standard audi interface, which is now looking very long in the tooth.

It brings the interior right up to date. Instead of the tired audi interface, you have touchscreen apple car play. What's not to like?

The ability to play podcasts is great for longer journeys, not that there's anywhere we can go at the moment.

The Waze app is awesome. The ability to have other road users update the map on your screen about local traffic events is superb in my opinion.

Touchscreen. Being able to move around the maps with the touchscreen is a great feature, but again only available with the models that support touchscreen. It was actually a bonus that I didn't have MMI installed in my car, so that touchscreen is supported.

DAB. Effectively gaining Digital radio in your car in with the unit.

Hey Siri! I have the microphone mounted in the correct location, and have no issues with the phone hearing my commands. For example, Hey Siri, call blah blah, works first time, every time. On calls I have made, the receipients confirm the call voice quality is excellent.

Messages/Whatsapp. Having Siri read out your messages on arrival and being able to record a reply is great and allows you to concentrate on the road.

Future plans...

I've bought a cheap reversing camera for £8 from aliexpress, and intend to install that once the weather warms up a bit. I'll take pics and advise on how that install goes. My car is a cabriolet, so the standard camera's for the A5 coupe and Sportback don't fit (they are a little larger), so I plan to modify the boot handle. Maybe too much A-Team when I was a kid.

Lastly, I'm not French or Spanish, but actually English. The forum is picking up the country from my current VPN connection. ;-)

Hopefully helpful.

Cheers, Lee

Hi Matt,
From the little I have researched, I believe the DAB units are 'locked' to a particular car and needed coding to your car. It sounded possible, but I went down the replacement head unit route, as above.
Cheers, Lee

I bought a DAB unit, and it's not allowing me to use it out of the UK which sucks! It's a shame since I paid lots of money to have it shipped in Illinois. The guy that I bought it off Ebay guaranteed me that it would definitely work fine for me even in US but guess what! Now I'm stuck with a no money-back guarantee of not being eligible. On top of that I need to find a way to work this out as it's totally depressing driving without your favorite music in your car. One friend of mine suggested the only app that provides full access to CarPlay with no extra fees or hidden conditions.

Hi
So i really want CarPlay in my a5. I had it in my golf and loved it. I have to connect to my phone by aux making the screen useless. I would much prefer to have CarPlay access. What’s the best one to purchase currently? Thanks.

Hi
So i really want CarPlay in my a5. I had it in my golf and loved it. I have to connect to my phone by aux making the screen useless. I would much prefer to have CarPlay access. What’s the best one to purchase currently? Thanks.
2 years in I’m still happy with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi
I would definitely NOT recommend Unique Auto Developments. They have a slick web page and the product looked good when it arrived but I had major problems with it and the instructions are totally useless. Have a look at Carlife here, Carlife-mall, offer your car better solutions You get a screen as well for a similar price to the U A D unit and there's loads of youtube videos on installation.

I don’t really like the look of those tbh. I wanted something that keeps the original size screen as I like how it’s set back. Wouldn’t really want a screen that big looks out of place to me
The one I have keeps the Audi screen. Too far away to use as touch anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

421 - 440 of 484 Posts