Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
401 - 420 of 484 Posts
So what is the recommended carplay set up for a 3g+ MMI on a 2013 A5 S-Line cabriolet, and if possible I'd like the touch screen version and wire less as well.

Mick

All the same it appears!
So just over a year later, and my unit is dead.

Doesn't recognise anything's connected to it at all, and the seller is proving no help so I'm going to have to cut my losses.

It wasnt instant, it was a build up from it not recognising a phone was connected for a few mintes, to getting longer and longer until eventually nothing.

On the up, guess this means I can order a new wireless version. In terms of sellers of these, is there a clear better seller/brand yet or are they all much the same? I'll be getting the 3G+ version fyi
All the same it appears!

Hi there,
I just upgraded to the Carlinkit wireless from wired and wanted to share my experience.
CarPlay starts almost instantly you plug in, and it takes only a few seconds on wireless. And most of the time, CarPlay starts automatically, you don't have to hold the Nav button down. I love it. I love that I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket.
The first unit I received didn't function. I emailed them and got a response via WhatsApp. Alex, patiently instructed me to debug the issue. Unfortunately, it was a hardware issue. I shipped the unit back and they sent me a new one. They refunded the shipping cost. Honestly, I wasn't expecting such a great customer service.
I didn't want to spend the money to upgrade initially of course but I am glad I did. The responsiveness of the new version is great.
Here is the link if you decide to buy: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...9251.html?spm=a2747.manage.0.0.57a271d2uaKYUt
Happy to answer if there are any specific questions.

I bought the rsnav kit, which seems to be the same as the carlinkit mentioned above. I’m confused about two wires that don’t seem to be mentioned anywhere — the grey/black and green/black wires in the attached photo, which are associated with the quadlock connection. Any one know where these go?

Hi All,
Apologies if it's been asked before, I've done a few searches and I cant find a solution.
My car is a 2008 S5. It has a B&O stereo with a 6 disk changer and a plug in the glovebox that works with a 3.5mm jack.
The controls are below the gear lever and it has a button/joystick in the centre of the "Wheel"
Will this system be compatible with the carplay gizmo from Ali express ? It's a Japanese car imported into NZ and someone else had trouble as posted earlier but the post has no replies.

D
Hi - I have installed same unit - connected it correctly (I assume because screen gets power and everything works like it did - plus phone charges when plugged in) - however, I can't get the Carplay to show up when holding Nav (have tried for 3 seconds and longer). I have gone into media and I have Aux 1 and Aux 2 available - have tried both and then held Nav once in Aux 1 or Aux 2 - and still no Carplay. Any ideas anyone?

I just imported my car (Audi A5 2011) from Japan (I am in NZ) and when I click and hold Nav - it says Initialising Navigation (as it won't work here as it isn't set up for NZ) - but does that matter? I would have thought not - it is just the Nav button you are pushing - nothing to do with the Nav screen itself?
Did you get this working in the end ? I've got a NZ Jap import too and don't want to waste my money if it doesn't work.

I have just installed the Unique Auto Carplay/Android Auto kit today, specifically for Android Auto use. I also fitted the rear view camera to my 2011 A5. To be honest it was rather straight forward. The hardest part was getting the boot liner trim off to install the camera!
The system worked first time, but I am rather disappointed with the resolution. It's very blocky and poor quality. Compared to the Audi Multimedia interface screen, this is 1980's!

I purchased an Alibaba kit for B8.5 Audi A5 in November, and finally installed it in March. This is listed as a CarSight Store Wireless Apple CarPlay for Audi, and it is working perfectly. I have an MMI 3GP, so fitting all the cables and the black box behind the MMI unit was, shall we say, "fun"... With patience and without gorilla tactics, it went in and all dash components clicked back in place as if nothing had happened.

Now, seeing other people talking about Firmware updates and such, the numbers being shared are completely different to what this seller and unit show. I started with the following:

SD Version 25.0.0.5.6.0.0
CUST Version v2.0.2.4.gp.a
MCU Version 19.8.15.17

I asked the CarSight people if these were up to date, and I was given back a RAR file for CUST v2.0.2.7.gp.a and I applied that successfully. I asked about the MCU (not sure what exactly that is for) and the seller said it was fine. However out at another vendor site, I found what looks like the identical devcice and they listed an MCU 20.4.3.11

Can anyone explain all these, and are there any FAQ or ReadMe somewhere to know what they fix or add, to determine whether I should apply them?

Still need to have a play with the unit in the car, but early signs surprise me as it doesn't seem to hack the MMI but it might be too early to confirm.
Hi Grangey

With continued use did you notice any issues with the OEM MMI being controlled behind the scenes?

I have head that some of these modules do have that issue, and it is possible to end up accidentally starting a navigation route in the background. If this happens NAV turns etc end up being displayed on the dash MFD.

I'd be very interested to know if your CarPlay module did control the MMI in the backtround but without any major issues, or if it did not control it at all while CarPlay was active.

My concern is inadvertantly making changes and controlling things unintentionally.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Grangey

With continued use did you notice any issues with the OEM MMI being controlled behind the scenes?

I have head that some of these modules do have that issue, and it is possible to end up accidentally starting a navigation route in the background. If this happens NAV turns etc end up being displayed on the dash MFD.

I'd be very interested to know if your CarPlay module did control the MMI in the backtround but without any major issues, or if it did not control it at all while CarPlay was active.

My concern is inadvertantly making changes and controlling things unintentionally.

Thanks in advance!
nope never had that issue with mine pal

Hi

All just thought i would share i am getting a kit that allows you to retrofit an aftermarket carplay kit to a 3G MMI high/+ system without compromising the OEM system in my 2012 sportback A5

It's accessed via the navigation button, press and hold for three seconds to activate the carplay screen

This is something i have been looking for for ages, i hope it works, the kit is getting delivered today and if I can get pawn the kids onto the grandparents this weekend i'm hoping to get it installed

Installation pictures and video will follow if you want to follow the thread
i received mine from ali express yesterday, took about 10 min to fit and is fantastic, I'm really impressed with it. good luck on the install

Reactions: LinnBoy
Hey. There ! ;) i am new so please be patient :D took a while to figure out where to find some people with the same unit inszalled in their cars :)
I have mine since a year and i am very happy with it .

i am just corious about a problem with the cam - I have 4 wires from the unit . black=mass , red=12Vacc , yellow=+12Vrearcam , purple=+12Vrearcam (yeah its wrong labeled or better said its chinese :D )- when i measure the voltage between black and purple its 0 , when i measure between black and yellow i have 1.7V - so i was trying to use purple as remote connection 12v for reverselight and the yellow for powering the cam . but it does not work .

anyone installed one of these aftermarket cams? :)

greets

So just over a year later, and my unit is dead.

Doesn't recognise anything's connected to it at all, and the seller is proving no help so I'm going to have to cut my losses.

It wasnt instant, it was a build up from it not recognising a phone was connected for a few mintes, to getting longer and longer until eventually nothing.

On the up, guess this means I can order a new wireless version. In terms of sellers of these, is there a clear better seller/brand yet or are they all much the same? I'll be getting the 3G+ version fyi
Hey, i’m back. Have just bought a 2013 A5 and this one actually has AMI so i am looking to revisit Carplay. Just wondering have you tried another solution for your A5?

I have ordered my Unique Auto Development CarPlay kit today. I know I could have got cheaper units but I don’t have enough knowledge some of you guys have to sort out any problems that might occur.

I have just installed the Unique Auto Carplay/Android Auto kit today, specifically for Android Auto use. I also fitted the rear view camera to my 2011 A5. To be honest it was rather straight forward. The hardest part was getting the boot liner trim off to install the camera!
The system worked first time, but I am rather disappointed with the resolution. It's very blocky and poor quality. Compared to the Audi Multimedia interface screen, this is 1980's! View attachment 177237 View attachment 177238 View attachment 177239
Anyone with similar issues ? That would be a deal breaker for me.

401 - 420 of 484 Posts