Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Hybrid Retrofit of Apple Carplay in 2009-2015 cars

189K views 483 replies 91 participants last post by  Dulox 
So I’ve purchase the product from Ali express.
it works quite well except the using factory mic input doesn’t work. Installing it has also rendered my Audi speech recognition broken.
I’m not too worried bout the Audi speech regonotion, but it indicates to me that the unit has wrong inputs somewhere...

I can use Siri by switching to the Bluetooth audio, but this often changes back to the default “CarPlay” input.

I’ve also tried the suggestion of the seller/manufacturer to turn off Bluetooth entirely, this also hasn’t fixed anything. (Brings me back to the factory mic not working when installed)

I wouldn’t mind using Bluetooth as the complete audio input, however the bad thing is that maps navigation audio is always routed via “CarPlay” on the iPhone.

Yesterday I uninstalled the unit to check my factory mic was indeed working, and it is....
Does anyone have nay information or experienced the same thing here?

My suspicion is that all the units are the same, coming from the one manufacturer, whether you buy it from navRS/Ali baba/etc (although I could be wrong)

Thanks

Yeah the pins look like they are still in good condition, nothings bent.

the seller takes ages to come back with valuable info, but the last thing was they asked me to check if the mic +/- pins were in a certain location, although i cant be sure its the mic line, there is a grey and green wire in that pin location

I have B&O and, as I mentioned above, the only issue I have is with the factory mic being used the proper way via “CarPlay” input..
Using Bluetooth instead works, but I often have to change the input/output on the iPhone because it will try to use CarPlay by default

How odd, I’ll try him.
They finally replied, but efforts with the Aliexpress seller has given me the tech guy's email address.

He's asked that i record some audio for him to help diagnose.

Not sure what this will prove since i'm very certain that voice record will always use the local mic. I will test tonight.
He did say its an easy fix.
Depending on the success of the troubleshooting I will share it with anyone who needs the help.

So far the communication has been very vague so may be too early for me to judge.

So my own contacts may have helped you?

Won’t the tech guy just take it back since all the units clearly came from him?

Can you tell us the tech guys name to cross reference with the tech guy that RSNav refer everyone to.
This was't the whatsapp number you shared. Although they did eventually reply, since I started on the path with the Tech i decided to not keep two support streams running simultaneously.
This was the "tech person" that the Aliexpress seller told me to email. (Retailer Carlink, also referred to as Carlinkit, Carlinke)

I will definitely share his contact details should this be a successful method, its a bit too early to tell since he's directed me back to the retailer.

Hello Soldier,

I think I'm having the exact same issue on my RS5

Everything works perfectly except the microphone, nobody can hear me during a call when I'm using CarPlay, I tried using AUX only or Bluetooth

If I want people to hear me I need to get out of CarPlay and make sure I'm connected with Bluetooth.

My car is also equipped in B&O

If you have any solutions for this please let me know... I bought the unit monthes ago so it's useless for me to try contacting the seller.

Thanks
Hi Superjedi,

i'm still working with the seller/tech to get an actual resolution to the issue.
They want me to send mine back, but really I do not want to disassemble the unit and post it back only to have to re-install a replacement (which depending on how much I pay for fast postage to China will determine how fast i get the replacement)

For me it is a matter of principal since I've tried to speak with them about the issues since the start, but now 4 months later I'm still waiting to get a decent outcome.

The good thing is that it does, in essence, work as a CarPlay unit.

I do have a (my own) workaround for you superjedi, but like I said I'm hoping for an actual solution for us! :frown2:

The work around is
1. Disable Bluetooth music player in the MMI system.
2. Pair (if not already) your iPhone with bluetooth in order to use it as the handsfree.
3. Make sure MMI sound input is to the external AUX (as you already know and mentioned)

Next is the hard part...
4. Open your iPhone audio control by pressing the AirPlay icon

You should see "CarPlay" and "iPhone" as your options.

5. Engage Siri by either using the voice control button on the steering wheel, or by using the home button on the CarPlay interface (but definitely not by calling out "Hey Siri")*
6. Your Audi Bluetooth device should show up during this time, quickly select it as it will disappear once Siri has ended! - should look like this:

7. Be patient and let the Siri animation and connection to the Audi Bluetooth drop off.
8. Engage Siri again, this time it should automatically join on to the Bluetooth for your siri Chat**

Negatives:
The sound quality is extremely low when using siri over the bluetooth handsfree module.
At some point, the sound audio input changes back to CarPlay as the default, so you might need to change the input every now and then. I can't work out what causes this. I definitely have to do these actions on every trip, but even mid-driving session the inputs will change back :s. Rarely will the car actually engage
Since I believe my unit is injecting noise into the mic set up, my conversations/dictation with Siri are very hit/miss. (notably different than when i use "Hey Siri" or speak to Siri throughout the day.

Positives:
It seems that most of the time, when you receive a call, it defaults to the Bluetooth, so you (usually) don't have to mess about with anything. If it does however try to go via CarPlay, just change the audio input/output using the speaker icon on the iPhone and choosing the bluetooth.

* my experience is that the "Hey Siri" call always uses the iPhone's internal mic, not any bluetooth or CarPlay connected mics.
** Your dashboard should change to indicate that you are talking with your own number (I'll take a pic that should explain this better)

I do find that my audio is usually turned all the way down after finishing a phone call (not all the time)... But I can never get my factory mic working during CarPlay calls or siri, that’s why I need to switch it to Bluetooth for the call/Siri otherwise they can’t hear me.

I’ve tried using the voice recording app while connected to CarPlay and it’s just white noise. So I know there is definitely something wrong.

Mine is in and seems to be working ok from the video the installer sent me, but it’s just a cursory analysis.

Can you summarise in a bullet point the problem you’ve experienced?
Sure!

In summary,
Not working:
1. Using Siri via the CarPlay unit (i.e. via proper method of engagement which then uses the factory mic system)
2. Using phone calls via CarPlay (again when using factory mic)
3. Voice Recorder gives static steady noise.
4. Factory voice recognition is broken since the install (so the Audi voice assistant cannot hear anything I say. Audi Voice worked when i removed the unit, so it looks to be the direct cause.)

Basically anything where the carplay unit tries to get input from the factory mic does not work.
Using "hey Siri" or talking via Bluetooth > iPhone (bypassing CarPlay) works. But this is literally bypassing the CarPlay unit and not the desired outcome.

Hey Granger, Sounds like your phone calls automatically head over to Bluetooth which is great.
For me it’s been hit and miss, sometimes it still tries to go via CarPlay which usually results in ~5 seconds where the other person can’t hear me.

Have you guys kept all the dip switches in the off position?

Thanks

Touch screen would the best experience, however not in a retrofit vehicle.

The Audi screen distance is too far and obviously the screen was not designed to be touched, so for these vehicles then console inputs make sense.

Factory installed CarPlay units definitely are a much better UX.
Sometimes using button inputs it can be cumbersome to get to/from the further most positions. I will admit that using the nipple to go left/right and hold to scroll does work well.

I did enable Aux, however I did it via Carista (same precedent)

An easy way to enable AUX is to literally buy an AMI AUX or AMI RCA cable (very cheap aftermarket items), the software then shows up the AUX input.