Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My A5 3.0TDI SPORT QUATTRO S TRONIC has started making a humming noise. Seems to get louder from 20mhp upwards. As you slow down it’s still the same. Been to the garage and they can’t find anything up with it. They checked the wheel bearing but they said there’s nothing up with them. Anyone help me out please? Cheers Morgan

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Could be one of many things Morgan so you need to describe a bit better.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it a humming or whining?
Does the pitch change the faster you go?
Where on the car is it coming from, front, rear, which side etc. etc?
I just had to replace the rear diff on mine.
Hi mate it’s a humming noise coming from the front of the car. It’s giving the same symptoms as a wheel bearing but apparently they are fine. Humming / vibrating noise definitely form the front of car.. hope that helps. Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be one of many things Morgan so you need to describe a bit better.......
Hi mate it’s a humming noise coming from the front of the car. It’s giving the same symptoms as a wheel bearing but apparently they are fine. Humming / vibrating noise definitely form the front of car.. hope that helps. Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can almost guarantee that it's a wheel bearing, despite what you've been told.

Unless the bearing is so far gone as to be more or less dropping in pieces, it's virtually impossible to tell if they're "OK" or not without a strip-down examination. Anybody that says otherwise is an idiot.

I had a similar issue on my Transporter not long ago, whining noise from the rear driver's side wheel. I did three round trips from Lancashire to Cornwall with it like that (2250 miles!!), but there was absolutely no play or noise if I jacked the van up and rotated/rocked the wheel. I changed everything that I could on that side EXCEPT the wheel bearing and it still whined. It was only when I changed the bearing and discovered that the cage which held the outer race together had disintegrated that the whining stopped.

Pound to a pinch of pig shit that it's a bearing, trust me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts