Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I posted a little while ago about the noise I was experiencing with my A5.

I've had the car a few months now (A5 TDI V6 Quattro) and I've been experiencing a weird humming noise coming from the car when on rough roads ever since I had the car serviced at Audi.

I was told it was tyre noise due to running different compounds front and rear. So I replaced them with 4 new Dunlops (audi recommended). Guess what? Noise still there.

Now 2 months later, I'm off to the alps in 3 weeks so I've fitted winter tyres, and if anything the noise is now worse.

I've been to 2 different garages. 1 had no idea what it was, and the other recommended I replace the front brakes given that they are 80% worn and there could be some rubbing on the hub. I'm not sure I believe that because I cannot change the noise at all using the brake pedal.

The noise is very apparent on rough roads, but nearly silent on billiard table style Tarmac roads.

Car is 4 years old with 29k miles and in great condition.

Any ideas please, as this is driving me nuts now!!!!

Thoughts would be very much appreciated :)

Phil.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Could it be wheel bearings ???
JG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly, but don't bearing noises usually change with steering? I've had a wheel bearing on an old car before and usually it's quiet in one direction but not in another.

Can a wheel bearing noise be constant, and change in intensity with road type?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first post! I picked up my A5 at the weekend and i have a humming noise which sounds like its coming from the passenger side and does change pitch depending on the speed of the car, at first i thought it might be the tyres as they are the 20" optional size however it seems pretty loud just to be road noise...can anyone maybe point out an area that it could be...wheel bearings maybe?

·
Registered
24 Posts
if you car is a quottro check the headshild, its a thin aluminium rough sheet, i was getting this noise on rough roads, then it changed to when i accelerated. i put the car on a ramp and there was 2 minor scratch marks on the prop shaft which indicated something had been rubbing on it, i looked up and the alumium heat sheild was loose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No its not a Quattro AC, but thanks for the reply :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Iv had a humming noise and took it back to the sales man, told him its wheel bearing on the front. He tried to tell me that his technician said its road noise. Drove home and took the car to Audi today they has it up on the ramps with stethoscope and told me it's the pas side bearing and the drivers side is worn also but not as bad. This is on the Quattro 3.0 TDI Sport. Now in the process of getting the garage to pay for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks for that, something is nagging me that this is a wheel bearing, i will take it back to the dealer and get them to check it out...cheers for the heads up ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with my A5 the humming noise ,was told tyres ,bearings and all that and still the humming is there. Need to get this problem solved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And have you changes wheel bearings / tyres?
Yes I've changed the all 4 bearings news tyres,new fly wheel 4 break pads and discs, rear shocks and still there. It's only when I go over 40mph and the faster I go the louder it gets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts