Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are trying to decide on a color. We like the Ice Silver, Avus Silver, or quartz grey. Its been hard to tell the difference between the ice silver and avus silver. From the real world picts I seen, they almost look the same. the wife says the Avus has more of a blue tint to it. If we go with the S-line with all black interior, the silver would look good as an exterior (the one we tested out had silver exterior/black interior).

Same with an S5 (If I decide to get that instead). But I don't know if the S5 would look as good in silver, since the grill is also silver, but the mirrors would match.

!?!??!?! What do you guys think? I'm open to all suggestions. :)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yeah, you're right ... it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between the silvers. Out of all the silver/gray colors available, I would definitely choose Avus Silver over any of them. There's just something about that color that works for me. I think it looks really, really good on the car. If I had to do it all over again, I would order my A5 in Avus Silver (instead of the very high maintenance Brilliant Black I ended up with).

Not sure if you've seen these pics, but they are assumed to be pics of Avus Silver. I think they demonstrate just how great the car can look in that color.

·
Registered
198 Posts
IMHO the A5 looks at its best in black, White looks good also. In the light and silver colours I think its lines and shapes get lost,but what do i know. The general consensus from all my friends who are petrol heads seem to bear this out. The only problem with black is keeping it clean

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also think the A5/S5 is better in dark colors, but the Quartz Grey would be just fine for me. Avus, Meteor, Black, and Daytona, I chooose the later because that's a gorgeous colour (but a special one - and with a price). I saw a Quartz A5 lately and found it very nice. Avus has a bit of magenta in it, specially in the sun, it's great too.

To be honest, the A5/S5 is such a nice car that it's very difficult to choose "the wrong color". I think that some rims you can see on some pictures do degrade much more the look of the car than any color you could choose.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info everyone. Yeah, every color looks good on the A5/S5. My old CQ is black, and looks very nice. But, like you stated, black is hard to keep up. I think it would make the car really hot since it will have a black interior. Isn't magenta PINK??? I don't want a car that turns a shade of pink in the sun, heh.

White would be good for reflecting the suns rays, but its kind of like the black, since you can see any dirt on it. I am going to talk to the auto exchange ppl again this week, see if I can get some more info. I want to order this car asap, since the wait time is about 5-6 mths right?

After looking at the picts in the link TXcarguy put out, I think the Avus looks pretty good. Its darker than Ice Silver, but more metallic looking than Quartz Grey. It sucks out here since, well the german Audi dealers have maybe 1 or 2 A5s IF YOU ARE LUCKY. They are usually Ice Silver, or this very light blue color.

I dunno if it helped my decision all that much LOL, wish I could buy a few of them :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would go with Quartz. Agree with Hilly; the car looks better in dark colors (IMHO). I went with BB - not looking forward to cleaning it every two-three days....

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think Akoya Silver is the one that can look a bit pink? Avus is more of a steel blue grey colour and "exclusive" to the S-line option.

Have a look at http://usedcars.audi.co.uk (just stick Leeds or London in as a location) as there's a great selection of photos there and you can filter by colour group. It's amazing how different pics of the same car in the same colour can be with different cameras and lighting conditions. Filter by grey and none of the Meteor Grey cars look remotely like eachother and even Quartz looks different.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was at my dealer 2 days ago and they had a meteor S5 and avus a5 sline. First time I had seen either color in person. I was actually offered the avus a5 a few months ago as the original buyer backed out but I turned it down as I wanted meteor. Now having seen it I wished I hadn't. If my car hadn't been built last week I might have changed it to avus. I haven't seen ice or quartz unfortunately but I think you'd be happy with avus. Didn't seem too bluish.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This all helps! I love the body lines of this car. It is one of the first cars I've seen in a long long time really get my attention (and others attention). I guess my wife was right about the bluish hue as well! I would have to say its between ice silver and the quartz grey. It would be great if the S5 grill was gloss black with the chrome strips. I am going to ask the dealer this week about some info. I hope the wait time is shorter too :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Aruba Blue

How come no one ever suggests the Aruba Blue? I just booked for one last month, but I do not see anyone else picking it up on this forum. I honestly dont know how it looks as the A5 isnt launched in Dubai yet.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Navin, you're right, it's a very uncommon color. There's on in a showroom close to me, and I love it in person. Looks even better in person than in any photos. It's just one of those colors that doesn't photograph well.

I would have gone for it if my wife didn't already have a bright blue car. If she had gotten silver like she originally wanted, I probably would have gotten Aruba.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello Vip,
Having seen A5's in the metal in all Ice silver, quartz and meteor grays my vote goes to quartz for it gives the car both flair and a sporty feel in kind of a DB9-ish waym ,if I may say so. On top of that I believe Quartz gets the most points in terms of practicality plus it looks fab with both black and cinamon brown interiors. I took the risk and ordered mine with light grey interior and hope that will look nice as well! One more thing... if you go for any other version than the baby of the range (1.8t that is) bear in mind that the front grille is going to be glossy black (instead of what audi quotes as stone gray in the 1.8's case which has a matt dark gray texture__well greek specs anyway). In that case you'll probably have to consider the relatively more intense contrast the high gloss grille would create with a bright exterior colour such as the silvers you mentioned and decide accordingly. IMHO the high gloss black grille matches better a darker exterior. Well just my 2p!

Regards
George

·
Registered
128 Posts
The first person to invent a coating/paint that can make a black car stay clean will receive my gratitude, and possibly a high five.

Anyways, does anyone know the difference between meteor grey and daytona grey? I've seen the pics, can't tell the difference, especially since they were in different settings.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There I can reply...

Meteor is slightly darker and as a blue hue in the sun. It's also a lot less metallic-looking.

Daytona his really dark metal-grey, but that color can change a lot depending on the wheater conditions. In the sun it really shines, I just love that color. I have some links to pics of my Daytona A5 in my sig.

Edit : you can also find comparison pics here in my presentation thread : http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/a5-owner-january-668/index.html

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Geo_SKG! Quartz grey seems to be the winning choice thus far. I wish they had the 1.8T in the US. I am starting to learn toward getting an S5, then when, and if, the 3.0 TDI comes to the states, I would either sell the S5 or trade it in for the 3.0 TDI A5 with S-Line package. That way, I could enjoy the S5 for awhile, but in the end get a car with awesome gas mileage! As for now, we can only get the 3.2L V6, or the V8.

meteor grey is also nice, but its darker than i am looking for. Does anyone know what the US Spec grills look like? Gloss black would look great! But, I am sure you can just order a new grill later on if one wanted to change it out. All info/advice is very helpful to me everyone :) Much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Does anyone know what the US Spec grills look like? Gloss black would look great!
All US spec A5's (S-line or not) have the gloss black grille.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think Avus is really nice :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts