Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been closely watching the level of coolant for the past few days and i've noticed that when the engine is cold, it's below the minimum level. Of course, this can't be right as the coolant in the 3.0TDI is "lifetime coolant" which shouldn't need topped up.

Also, according to the manual, when the engine is hot, the coolant level should be slightly above maximum. Mines is a bit below maximum which is also strange.

I thought maybe the engine is burning coolant, possibly due to overheating or some other issue. Who knows? But I just checked the oil level (warm engine - 2mins after turning it off according to the manual) and the engine oil level is WAY above maximum.

The last oil change on this car was over 11,000 miles ago. Even that I find strange as it's supposed to burn off about 0.5litres every 1600miles... and it hasn't burned off anything! It's never been topped up since it's service 11,000 miles ago.

I'm waiting on the dealership calling me back regarding this. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Or possible causes?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Er yes....Noticed this after month of ownership, dealer had car for couple of days and assured me it was just an air lock (ummm) it has needed qtr pint over the past year. Questioned with dealer but they say there's no problem..

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Er yes....Noticed this after month of ownership, dealer had car for couple of days and assured me it was just an air lock (ummm) it has needed qtr pint over the past year. Questioned with dealer but they say there's no problem..
JUST an air lock? Air locks can cause overheating. Do they really have no clue at all?

The manual says otherwise... the coolant should be between min and max, of course, and when the engine is hot it should be over the maximum level.

How was your oil level at the time? I'm kinda worried why mine appears to have been overfilled.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I noticed this on the s5, Was just below minimum first thing in the morning. After the end of the day it was on the half way line.

I just topped it up a little to bring it half way.

Haven't had to do it since.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
It is normal for coolant levels to fluctuate slightly between hot and cold. I dont think it should ever be below the min mark regardless of hot or cold. Regular topping up of the coolant might be due to a problem.
Rab88; your oil level should NEVER be above the max mark ever! Its just as bad as having too much oil as not having enough. Get it back to your dealer; give em a slap and get them to remove some of it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Last weekend, after one year of ownership, I toped up around 0,5 liter.
It is normal, I 've done it on my all previous cars too .:cheers:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cool, well actually last Saterday I suddenly got a warning that the coolant level was dangerously low & I should stop the engine and check the level. Much to my surprise, the whole reservoir was almost empty!!! :eek:

That was a shocker, especially because the car was in from wednesday till friday to take care of smaller issues (covered by guarantee). And only one day later, this happened. :no:

I added 1 - 1.5 liter, to fill it up to the min. level. The next day, it was beneath that min. level by a couple of inches. I didn't know then, but I do know now that these kind of fluctuations between warm & cold are normal.

Ohw BTW, even although the level dropped waaaay below the min. level on Saterday. The dealer assured me that there's still more than enough coolant water in the system (6 liters they say). So if the temperature level keeps stable, you most often are safe.

I'm also closely monitoring the level now, because I still don't know why the level dropped that day, but I guess the cap of the reservoir wasn't 100% closed. Or the dealer did some work which involved detaching the reservoir, forgot to fill it up, but whatever, everything is fine now.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not noticed anything.... I'll have a look over the next couple of days !!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I observed the same thing and told the dealer before it's service (19,600 miles), and they topped it up for me.

Simon

·
Registered
871 Posts
3.0 TDI owners. If you are loosing water it might be worth checking with your dealer as I beleive that there have been some issues with the auxiliary water pump that is fitted to these cars

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'll check and report back!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Just checked mine, it's sitting 2mm under the max mark.

If it did need topping up they may have done it at the last service in my case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
3.0 TDI coolant level

3.0 TDI: In a number of cases, coolant loss over distance, but without external signs of leakage can be the result of an EGR intercooler internal leak. In this case, the coolant is drawn into the combustion chamber through the inlet tract and vapourised as exhaust gas, usually not visible at the tailpipe. One diagnostic is to look for signs of coolant residue in the inlet with a flexible camera (my main dealer did this). If not resolved the coolant can contaminate the EGR stepper motor and cause an electrical connection failure.
Not-so-good news: - EGR Intercooler £250-300
Bad news - 9 hours labour charge, as it is buried in the vee. @ £90/hr inc VAT (2011).

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
3.0 TDI: In a number of cases, coolant loss over distance, but without external signs of leakage can be the result of an EGR intercooler internal leak. In this case, the coolant is drawn into the combustion chamber through the inlet tract and vapourised as exhaust gas, usually not visible at the tailpipe. One diagnostic is to look for signs of coolant residue in the inlet with a flexible camera (my main dealer did this). If not resolved the coolant can contaminate the EGR stepper motor and cause an electrical connection failure.
Bad news - 9 hours labour charge, as it is buried in the vee. @ £90/hr inc VAT (2011).
Agree with this - a slight top-up between services can happen (I've done it once in 96k miles) however if your DIS is warning you of low coolant regularly and there's no sign of a leak (either within engine bay or on your drive/garage floor) then it's most likely to be the EGR.

This happened twice on my wife's 2.0TDi Touran, thankfully the first time under warranty and the second time only 8 months later (!) so the VW dealer agreed to fit another new one. Been fine since, but expensive if you have to pay for it yourself...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had mine done late last year! Bitch of a job to do!

Cost me almost £900 grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :-(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do we see a pattern emerging.....? ....One of under-engineered 2.0l & 3.0l EGR intercoolers? Mine leaked before 34,000mi
Worth collecting some statistics I'd say. The head tech at my main dealer certainly let slip some history on the subject.

All owners of 'earlier than reasonable' EGR intercooler replacements post here (unless moderator dictates otherwise).

You would think that the dealers would be quizzing Audi's mothership, because precious few of their mechs can replace the V6 version in the time allotted by Audi. So the dealer loses around 2hrs labour charge (at the mech's rate, not what they charge the punter).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Eee Gee Argh!!

Add me to the "EGR's are a PITA" list, although mine went at 75,000 miles.

No visible leak anywhere but coolant mysteriously disappearing over the course of the week. Assumed EGR cooler internal leak as everything else checked out fine. Decided that, as we'd have to rip half the engine apart to get at it, may aswell do the EGR valve at the same time, for good measure.

Audi quoted me £1,600 for the whole job (about £530 parts plus 7.5 hours labour). After swallowing back the rising bile in my throat, I thought "stuff that!", made noises like "ouch" and said I'd need to get the money together first before "calling them back" but "would you mind printing off the details for me in the meantime so I can better understand what's involved and why it warrants a second mortgage?", thereby successfully extracting the full ETKA parts list from the rotten shysters.

Then found the EGR cooler, seal and EGR valve (all new) for £215 on eBay and took it straight to my indie. In the course of doing the work (turns out 7.5 hours was realistic), they found a further problem with a seized control flap (which fits between the cooler and the valve). Replaced that. Also the EGR temp sensor didn't take too kindly to being cleaned. Replaced that.

Audi would have charged another £400 to do those extra bits on top of the £1,600 already quoted. In the end, I got away with doing the whole lot for just a smidge over £800. A victory of sorts, but it still hurts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts