Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been other threads on here about this but when I tried this out for myself it didn't seem to work?? I've currently got my mirrors set to the option where by they fold in and out as and when you start or stop the car, should the dipping mirrors still work with it set to this option or do I have to have one or the other??

Any advice or help would be much appreciated?

Cheers

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't think the A5 does this.... unfortunately.

My old Touaregs did, and it was really useful for parking. But I'm sure I asked this same question before and was told there was no such feature on A5. Would love to be wrong...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yep, the mirror adjustment knob has to be in the left position (UK).

You can also adjust the mirror to save the location it moves to. So, if it moves down and you dont like that position, you can adjust it and it will remember that.

It is possible (and its happened to me) that an adjustment has occurred from the down position to put it into a normal position. So, when you get into reverse, it doesnt move or only does a little because its saved the last position. So, after putting it into reverse, adjust the position so it points down to where you want it to. Then see if it corrects to normal position when you move forward (10mph) or turn engine off then back on again.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
doubledoom, you're a Legend mate, thanks! :D
I'll give it a go and let you know if it works for me? I assume the drivers side mirror doesn't dip too then?
It is a shame that I have to keep moving the switch, it would have been a nice touch to do it automatically along with the wing mirrors folding in and out. :(

·
Registered
643 Posts
Billy, the driver's side mirror does dip. You just have to have the mirror switch pointing at the driver's side mirror (right in UK, left everywhere else).

You actually can have it so it dips automatically by leaving the switch pointing at the mirror you want to dip automatically, so whenever you put it in reverse, it... dips automatically. I suggest you leave it pointing at the mirror that is most frequently curb-side when parking (I'd assume that would be your left mirror). If not, adjust to your liking.

·
Registered
479 Posts
For those in the UK, the mirror will only dip if you have the Comfort Pack.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
For those in the UK, the mirror will only dip if you have the Comfort Pack.
I have just tried mine. The mirror turns in and shows the side of the car. I was hoping it dipped down to show the kerb... Am I missing something? I tried Doubledooms tips too.

Cheers
RG:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes, you are missing something, it should show the kerb.

Try adjusting it when it is in the down position, i.e. when you are still in reverse. (Don't know if this works, just an idea!) Do'h!! I hadn't read DD's post above properly!!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Yes, you are missing something, it should show the kerb.

Try adjusting it when it is in the down position, i.e. when you are still in reverse. (Don't know if this works, just an idea!) Do'h!! I hadn't read DD's post above properly!!
Just been outside and had a play.

I have set up mirrors to normal driving position.OK

Have put car in reverse and adjusted NS mirror desired position. When I move knob back to central position all returns OK for normal driving.

If I then put car in reverse nothing happens until I turn knob as if to adjust nearside mirror when it returns to previous reversing position.

Q Is this how it should work or should it happen automatically when I put car in reverse gear? Sorry I may be being denser than usual today!!

:D

·
Registered
479 Posts
f I then put car in reverse nothing happens until I turn knob as if to adjust nearside mirror when it returns to previous reversing position.

Q Is this how it should work or should it happen automatically when I put car in reverse gear? Sorry I may be being denser than usual today!!
That is what should happen. It will only activate when you select reverse with the mirror adjust switch over to the left. :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
JWhen I move knob back to central position all returns OK for normal driving.
This is your problem - don't touch the knob - keep it pointing at either outboard mirror (i.e. not in the center) and it will dip automatically when you go into reverse. When you start to drive forward again, after a few feet moving the mirror will return to normal driving posision.

Sorry I may be being denser than usual today!!
I'm sure there is a very nice aftermarket mirror available where that will perfectly suit your needs :D

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Thanks Shady I hadn't tried driving forward any distance!!

Don't understand your last comment, American humour?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Fish ... gutted... love the humour!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Outside of UK, should proceed as follows:
1 - Set the knob to exterior right mirror.
2 - Set the gear stick to reverse drive.
3 - Push down the knob.
4 - Tilt the knob south, watch your right mirror tilt accordingly.
5 - Once set to desired position, push the knob down again.
6 - Put gear stick to parking position. This ends the process.

Pressume that for UK users, works the same except should set left mirror instead.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
When the mirror is pointing down, you can adjust it to where you want it and it should remember that (although you need memory seats option for that).

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Don't understand your last comment, American humour?
I think it was a facetious jab at your typical disdain for aftermarket parts. =P

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think it was a facetious jab at your typical disdain for aftermarket parts. =P
Ta.

Yes:p What was the 'where what will' bit then??:eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just discovered that yesterday,, but it's only the mirror on the passengers side that dips, the drivers side doesn't. It only does so when pointing the knob on the mirror.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.