Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

first of all I have to admit that my A5 is actually first manual car I have. That means that my experience with manual gearbox is not exactly at the point where I should be satisfied. Anyways, I have been driving it for almost a year now and I got used to it. There is only one thing that I am still afraid of doing.

There were many attempts from interesting vehicles to race me at the stoplight, but I never did. In fact the reason was that I don't know how to launch the car.:(

Can you please explain to me how to launch my car CORRECTLY? Step by step? What should be rev, position of clutch, of gas pedal. Everything.

I am really afraid of burning the clutch or damaging it, but on the other hand I don't want to be always the last one from a stoplight. And it is not just about these races, when I am crossing some frequent road, I also need to cross it rather quickly than slowly. Which I can't do at the moment.:rolleyes:

My car is 3.0TDI with 6 speed manual.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Alejandro... Got the S5, so I can't say about the revs, but the best way to lauch the car without 'bogging down' is not to set the revs and 'dump' the clutch... this will damage the car when it doesn't bog-down...

its a quick 2-stage thing

1) apply some 'strong' revs (I'm geussing about 3k in the diesel) then bring the clutch to the bite point

2) as soon as the clutch starts to bite, floor the throttle and 'feather' the clutch in.

by 'feather' I mean don't just take your foor off it, release it quickly, but controlled over about half a second whilst the car goes from 0-about 20kph. this usually comprises taking a big 'bite' but not completely releasing the clutch and then 'feeling' the take-up and lifting off the rest or dumping the rest once you are under way.

Hope that helps.

Anything quicker and you risk either bogging down and/or damaging the transmission

Anything slower and you are less than optimum and will risk 'frying' the clutch by slipping it too much.

However, it's worth noting that it's unavoidable the clutch will wear faster if you lauch 'hard' regularly. I rarely do except where needed as if the clutch in not looked after in a 200+bhp car, you could be facing a replacement at 60,000Km at a cost of Euro 2,000!!!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other day I saw a guy in MTM A5 drag racing for about 4 hours in a row. I mean, either he knew how to perfectly launch the car, or he was damaging it.
I am still afraid of my first try.....it can all go wrong on the first try.

Diesel revs go up to 4500 max, maybe I guess 2500 would be ideal? By the way, does the A5 with 3.0TDI engine have the ceramic clutch?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think for 3.0TDI 2000rpm is enough as 'strong' revs in Ianhp1 reply.

I don't think any A5/S5 have ceramic clutch.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think for 3.0TDI 2000rpm is enough as 'strong' revs in Ianhp1 reply.

I don't think any A5/S5 have ceramic clutch.
That's what I was thinking as well, I remember someone told me that they have ceramic clutch. Probably didn't know as well.
Anyways, I will see.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Borrow your best friends car; practice on it until you can perfect it. Then apply the technique to your pride and joy but in slower and milder stages until you find its 'sweet' spot

·
Registered
423 Posts
Tbh, learn how to drive a manual box properly and you will not ask the question. Sorry if that sounds a bit rude but Im speaking the truth.
You sound like you take off like a learner driver. I mean its pretty much an inbuilt sense in relation to revs required versus clutch release timing and speed. Also any time your clutch is being slipped, you will be wearing it. any max take off will wear the clutch slightly. I wouldnt call this damage however I wouldnt do it everytime I take off either.

With your car being a quattro, I wouldnt be doing any attempts at wheel spin etc. You should get away perfectly quickly by taking off with small revs until you are off the clutch completely and then flooring it. This will do little or no damage to your clutch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
From another thread:

FYI, you cannot rev it higher than 3800 rpm, the rev limiter will kick in early. Basically, to make the launch easier, you can press the pedal to the metal (don't worry, it will rev constantly @3800 rpm) and then dump the clutch whenever you like, trust me on this, it will help getting to 60 under 6 seconds. :D
I timed it a couple of times... by being gentle, you really won't go under 7s to 60mph/100kmh. :eek: That's not good if you're trying to race something, you really need to use the benefits of having a quattro. I make it sound simple, but it probably isn't. That's why this car is being clocked by journalist worldwide between 6s and even >7s.

The best option, is not to race at all. :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From another thread:

I timed it a couple of times... by being gentle, you really won't go under 7s to 60mph/100kmh. :eek: That's not good if you're trying to race something, you really need to use the benefits of having a quattro. I make it sound simple, but it probably isn't. That's why this car is being clocked by journalist worldwide between 6s and even >7s.

The best option, is not to race at all. :)
What are you talking about? Even when I accelerate accurately I am still able to get 6.5 or even less for 100KM/H. That might be little bit different, because I am modded, but I don't think stock would do much worse.

I have also seen 3.0 TDI that giving a hard time to new Mustang Shelby GT500 on drags.

·
Registered
384 Posts
This thread is exactly why I chose Tiptronic. I love not having to worry about damaging a clutch when I want to put my foot down :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
What are you talking about? Even when I accelerate accurately I am still able to get 6.5 or even less for 100KM/H. That might be little bit different, because I am modded, but I don't think stock would do much worse.
+100nm and + 50bhp, don't you think it would shave off that extra half a second? ;) I know for sure it does.

There's a video on YouTube, from a german TV program where they compared an MTM A5 with the stock model. The 310bhp MTM car (unlike the stock car) was able to perform a 5.9s... that's just a fact. You can't get under 6s without either going downhill ... or getting an ECU remap like yours. Anyways, that's not the end of the world you know. ;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This thread is exactly why I chose Tiptronic. I love not having to worry about damaging a clutch when I want to put my foot down :D
Ahhhh, I HATE YOU.:mad: :D

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
+100nm and + 50bhp, don't you think it would shave off that extra half a second? ;) I know for sure it does.

There's a video on YouTube, from a german TV program where they compared an MTM A5 with the stock model. The 310bhp MTM car (unlike the stock car) was able to perform a 5.9s... that's just a fact. You can't get under 6s without either going downhill ... or getting an ECU remap like yours. Anyways, that's not the end of the world you know. ;)
Of course man, nobody will die.:)
Anyways, I am considering MTM A5 kit, it seems quite incredible gain. :eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a question thats related to this in a way... when I lunch my 3.2 A5 from a 10-15mph roll. Should I start in second and drop it down to first to get more power off the line or should i be in first gear to begin with? (I am new to the manual transmission but I have been dirt bikes and quads my whole life so it was no a big change)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.