Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the old days, when you got a new car you were supposed to drive it gently for somewhere between 1000-5000km depending on who you asked.
I would say, everyone agreedon that.

Though, nowdays it seems like if you ask 10 persons, you get 10 different answers to if you should drive it carefully or not. Some even say you should drive it really hard in the beginning to get the best performance etc.

A friend of mine who bought a S3 recently said the the Audi Manual stated something like that you should drive carefully and not rev it above xxxx rpm in the first 1500km.

Whats the general thought about it here on the forum?
Should you drive, soft, hard, normally and aprox for how long (ehh far might be a better word here)?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've had great results by using this method:

(Agreed - It is controversial, but from my personal experience - it works)

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

A lot of the guys in the Audiworld RS4 forum swear by it as well.

In the old days, when you got a new car you were supposed to drive it gently for somewhere between 1000-5000km depending on who you asked.
I would say, everyone agreedon that.

Though, nowdays it seems like if you ask 10 persons, you get 10 different answers to if you should drive it carefully or not. Some even say you should drive it really hard in the beginning to get the best performance etc.

A friend of mine who bought a S3 recently said the the Audi Manual stated something like that you should drive carefully and not rev it above xxxx rpm in the first 1500km.

Whats the general thought about it here on the forum?
Should you drive, soft, hard, normally and aprox for how long (ehh far might be a better word here)?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I would always run my car in gently for the first 500 miles. Then I have the oil changed after the first 1000 miles. But before the new oil goes in I use Forte engine flush to make sure all the gunk and any loose shavings from the inside of the engine are cleared out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't do anything special - oil quality, modern day electronics and build quality are generally quite good.

The only thing I consistently do, whether the car is new or old, is never draw on it as long as the engine isn't warm (meaning water temperature hasn't reached 90 degrees).

This has proven to be quite effective for the last 4 or 5 cars I've owned, no problems ever, and no fuel efficiency or gear box issues (fuel efficiency improves greatly generally after 10-15K kms)....

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I've taken it pretty slow with the A5 for the first 1000miles, with the odd little blast now and again.

My last Alfa GT, I didn't though. According to the handbook they are pre-run-in. The only thing it said in the handbook was not to drive hard when the car hasn't heated up yet, and not to use it fully on track until it's been heated up (to 90 degrees).

I find it funny, though, how people think they know more than the manufacturers who are making the cars and who have tested them over tens of thousands of miles.

G

·
They test the crap out of them before they leave the factory. When picked up my Gallardo Spyder (now sold) they told me to take it easy if i want, but they didn't take it easy when making sure it was ready for use:cool:

Same with my S5- use it as you want from the word go :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, got the car about 5 hours ago, and been driving around for 5 hours having fun.
The salesman said there is no need for breakin nowdays and that I can just drive it normally from the start, and that seems to be what most persons agree on.

I guess time will tell if it was a wise move :rolleyes:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Picked up my car on Monday of this week. Audi Forum said to drive it about three quarters of top speed max but no need to be extra gentle after reaching the 500 mil mark. I got the car up to about 140Mph after leaving Ingolstadt toward Frankfurt. I am very impressed with the S5. What a great car!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.