Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched the forums for this, but couldn't pull up any info. Any and all help is appreciated. I tried with a flathead screwdriver, but wasn't able to pop off the plastic lens/cover. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's rather fun getting those off. Takes some patience because its difficult to see the tabs. I used a snap-on pick to go in behind the housing and release the tab. One thing I noticed is that slot is pretty much useless. There are no tabs that are accessible through the slot and any pressure can bend or damage it pretty easily.

Searched the forums for this, but couldn't pull up any info. Any and all help is appreciated. I tried with a flathead screwdriver, but wasn't able to pop off the plastic lens/cover. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks again Quatt, you are truly the one-stop shop for S5 info. Going to head out and buy me a pick...don't have one in my toolbox

Which part of the housing did you access the tab from btw?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I carefully went in from the opposite side of that slot side. Seemed to work well. Good luck!

Thanks again Quatt, you are truly the one-stop shop for S5 info. Going to head out and buy me a pick...don't have one in my toolbox

Which part of the housing did you access the tab from btw?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Goal:
Not to draw more attention to license plate. Simply wanted to match all exterior lighting (d3s xenons, DRLs, fogs, reverse light, and plates) for a "cleaner" and "newer" look vs original the amber/incandescent lighting

Where to get the 6418 Festoons (high-powered):
www.tunerdomes.com

LEDs(left) vs Stock(right):

DIY
Here are the tools you will need before you begin:

Step 01

Step 02

Step 03

Finish & Repeat for other side

Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Where to purchase plastic wedge?

Thanks for sharing those detailed instructions and pics, alwin. So where did you purchase the "plastic wedge"? Can those easily be found at any hardware store?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing those detailed instructions and pics, alwin. So where did you purchase the "plastic wedge"? Can those easily be found at any hardware store?
I got mine from the local hardware store =)
Whopping 0.59 cents!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do I show the images here such that they don't just appear as links? ie shows full image

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
How do I show the images here such that they don't just appear as links? ie shows full image
Utilze the "Insert Image" feature. (You'll see the label when you hover over the message editing buttons.) I'll just go ahead and fix it for you, though.

EDIT: Found the problem. Even though you correctly inserted them as images, it didn't like that you had "?v=0" following ".jpg" in the URLs. I just deleted the "?v=0" part, and that fixed the problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Alwin - Have my bulbs and wedge on order, so thanks again for this! I think this mod makes a big difference.

You mentioned on Audiworld that you are going to change out interior lights as well. Are you going to post a "how to" for that as well? I ordered 4 bulbs total before I got my car, but, now that I have it, it looks likes there may be more than two interior (haven't looked to see what kind of bulbs they are though).

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alwin - Have my bulbs and wedge on order, so thanks again for this! I think this mod makes a big difference.

You mentioned on Audiworld that you are going to change out interior lights as well. Are you going to post a "how to" for that as well? I ordered 4 bulbs total before I got my car, but, now that I have it, it looks likes there may be more than two interior (haven't looked to see what kind of bulbs they are though).
I've already changed out those bulbs =) as well as my reverse light. I will put together a DIY for those as well. I have the bulb numbers somewhere at home, RoswellS5 requested that info too so I'll try to remember to at least get that to everyone today.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Not a happy camper

I'm not a very happy camper at the moment. This evening I followed the excellent step-by-step instructions above and successfully replaced my license plate lights with the LEDs (purchased from tunerdomes.com). The lights lit up fine and they look great! But, there's one big problem ... my driver information display now shows the message "number plate light out" when I initially start the car. Then it goes away, but the display still shows a bulb symbol with an 'X' through it to indicate a bulb is out. :mad:

Alwin, have you ever received any bulb out warnings? If so, how did you resolve the issue?

Also, did you purchase the "DOME 6418 36mm 6 LED"? That's what I purchased and installed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Never thought of brightening up my vanity plate.

Alwin: That was a great suggestion and the diagrams were super. Have you ever thought of having a job as an owner's manual writer and illustrator for Audi? I'm sure you could show those guys a thing or two.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not a very happy camper at the moment. This evening I followed the excellent step-by-step instructions above and successfully replaced my license plate lights with the LEDs (purchased from tunerdomes.com). The lights lit up fine and they look great! But, there's one big problem ... my driver information display now shows the message "number plate light out" when I initially start the car. Then it goes away, but the display still shows a bulb symbol with an 'X' through it to indicate a bulb is out. :mad:

Alwin, have you ever received any bulb out warnings? If so, how did you resolve the issue?

Also, did you purchase the "DOME 6418 36mm 6 LED"? That's what I purchased and installed.
One possibility is that LED lighting tends to present a different load to the electrical system (i.e. does not draw the same amount of current). This may be interpreted by the computer as a faulty bulb. This should be relatively easy to fix using a resistor so that the LED lights are comparable to the original filament bulb.
Having said that, I'm not sure how to calculate the values (if, indeed, I'm not talking rubbish:) ). I'll do some research and let you know what I find.
In the meantime, you could try contacting the place you buoght them from and seeing if they have any advice.
Cheers
Plob

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alwin: That was a great suggestion and the diagrams were super. Have you ever thought of having a job as an owner's manual writer and illustrator for Audi? I'm sure you could show those guys a thing or two.
Here's the link for the exact ones I got:
http://tunerdomes.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=18

I have zero error messages from this install. I've also changed my dome and reading lights in the interior and no issues have popped up.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Well, it appears I purchased a different type bulb than the one you got, alwin. That might explain why I'm having the "bulb out" issue. The link you provided is for a "DOME 6418 36mm High Power" bulb, whereas I had purchased the "DOME 6418 36mm 6 LED". I'll order a pair of those and see if that resolves the issue, which I'm guessing it will. Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Alwin, you are definitely the king of all S5 mods - I am on the tunerdomes website but don't see a listing for A5/S5 bulb replacements. How did you figure out which ones are the OEM replacements? Any chance you can post the tunerdome numbers you used for interior/exterior replacements?

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Well, it appears I purchased a different type bulb than the one you got, alwin. That might explain why I'm having the "bulb out" issue. The link you provided is for a "DOME 6418 36mm High Power" bulb, whereas I had purchased the "DOME 6418 36mm 6 LED". I'll order a pair of those and see if that resolves the issue, which I'm guessing it will. Thanks.
Crap - I think I ordered (and received) the same bulbs as you TX. They just arrived yesterday. Maybe the exact link should be added to the how-to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
1 - 20 of 167 Posts