Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Taking delivery of my new baby this Friday :D but with Diesel prices nearly £1.32 a litre, how much does it generally cost you guys with the 3.0TDI to fill up?

Cheers ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I normally fill up just before the low fuel warning, last fill up was 58 litres (12.77 Imp Gal), tank capacity is 64 litres (14.09 Imp Gal).

Overall mpg is 36.1 over the last 6,500 miles, fill up lasts 10 days (~450 miles) or so and I don't go to extreme lengths to maximize economy.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Most I've had to spend is £81 when my trip computer said I had only 5 miles of fuel left (got 64 litres in). Cost was somewhere around £1.27/litre at my local Tescos.

Biggest mileage I've got out of a single tank was Truro to Stansted airport then Stansted to Yeovil on one tank. RAC route finder says that's only 481 miles, but my car said I traveled 530, so I must have taken a slightly different route. Did all the motorway stuff at 85, so not exactly driving like a nun either...

Hope this helps.

As an aside, I used to have an S4 (hence my avatar, which I haven't yet changed) and that would probably not have made it from Truro to Stansted on one tank, and the cost would have been roughly the same (also a 65 litre tank) so I'm delighted with the A5 - normally get around 45mpg on motorways and around 35-40 in town. I think it's not bad on performance either, which speaks volumes given I came from an S4! Certainly handles better as it's less nose heavy and far less prone to understeer.

Planning chip + Milltek next though...

·
Registered
157 Posts
My first tank was the best; free! Shell V power too. I would hope the garage give you at least half a tank.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
My first tank was the best; free! Shell V power too. I would hope the garage give you at least half a tank.
Hope?

The OTR price includes half a tank of fuel as standard (page 9 of the pricing and spec guide), so anyone who doesn't get at least this should be straight back to their dealer! Most seem to come with a full tank, but that's up to individual dealers - mine came with a full tank too.

btw, how did you know it was V-Power? Did you see them put it in, or did they just tell you that was what they did? I'd be surprised if a dealer would voluntarily put V-Power into a customer's car as it's an extra cost for them.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I know this is a 3.0TDI thread but for comparison I just paid 113.9p per litre to fill up my 1.8T. I drove 430 miles from Leeds to Slough and back (3 hours there and 4 hours back because of traffic jams) and the car still tells me I have well over quarter of a tank left and a range of 150 miles.

Leeds to Slough in 3 hours means I wasn't exactly driving like a nun either and on the way back I spent almost an hour in stop start traffic in the bloody M1 roadworks because some tit had broken down. That's 580 miles of "everyday driving" on a tank costing £74 (assuming 65 litre tank) :D

During the trip down I reached a point where the distance I had driven was 190 miles and the predicted range was 413 miles - that's over 600 miles on a tank of bog standard supermarket petrol. Ave fuel consumption for the journey was 43.8mpg but because I do a lot of short journeys my average since I got the car is a slightly disappointing 34.9mpg (after about 2500 miles).

The more I drive my 1.8T the more impressed I am. Prior to the 2.0T annoucement I would have said it was about as perfect a match for me as I would ever get.

I can't help thinking that the guys getting 2.0Ts are going to literally explode with delight when they get the additional performance and economy. Coupled with Quattro it really is starting to look like the best car in the range on balance (obviously the S5 eats it for breakfast).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I normally fill up just before the low fuel warning,
Going off topic a bit: Three years ago or so that was pretty much the way I did things. However ever since various knob-heads have been allowed to interfere with the security of fuel supply, I tend to try and keep the tank full rather than run it down to empty.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those who will be queueing up at a filling station to stick another £10 in and certainly won't be doing any panic buying. However the combination of sudden protest/strike/panic caused shortages and the reduction in the number of convenient filling stations mean I tend more to buy when I can rather than buy when I must. If it's below half-full and there's a station handy without a queue, I'll generally fill up (long journey's aside, where I'll refil at the end of the journey).

Do others find the do likewise? Should this be in another thread given it's not really 3.0TDi specific?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just seen a garage south of Durham selling diesel @ £134.9:eek: a litre, So with an almost empty tank you're looking at £86ish

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Just seen a garage south of Durham selling diesel @ £134.9:eek: a litre, So with an almost empty tank you're looking at £86ish
134.9p a litre is a piss take......the A5OC should do a fuel protest just like the bikers :D did the other week, actually would be good if all the car forums got together to do something. Everyone is always complaining about the price, maybe it's about time we got off our arses and did something about it???

All for one and one for all lol.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Eeek £134.9 a litre lol.

Even at 134.9p that is expensive, I've been using waitrose super unleaded at 119.9p. This is only my second fill up, just creaped past 500miles on the clock, and after the fill up the trip comp shows 430miles. Still averaging just over 40MPG on my 15m journey to work, which includes a 5-10 min stop start bit of traffic.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for the replys people, much appreciated! :D

I must admit to being a little gutted as one of the main reasons I purchased a Diesel over Petrol is becauase of MPG but working it out now with the price of Diesel I don't think there's anything between the two now? :confused:

The question is, do people think Diesel will go down in price eventually or continue to go up.......?? :eek:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Cheers for the replys people, much appreciated! :D

I must admit to being a little gutted as one of the main reasons I purchased a Diesel over Petrol is becauase of MPG but working it out now with the price of Diesel I don't think there's anything between the two now? :confused:

The question is, do people think Diesel will go down in price eventually or continue to go up.......?? :eek:
Nope just going to keep on going up, at the current rate its rising it should hit the £1.50 a litre mark by the end of the year.

The only way it can come down or even keep it at a reasonable level is for the goverment to reduce the amount it taxes petrol and diesel. Regardless of what they say, they can afford to bring the tax down, at the moment they are raking it in as the more oil goes up in price, the more tax they take.

Anyone think its about time we took a bit more action or are we all going to trade in for 1 litre cars when it hits the £1.50 a litre mark.

I'm dreading the day when it costs £100 to fill my tank, and that's not too far off from what I can see.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't want this to become a rant about the Government and the state of the UK at present but things are just getting out of hand! Fuel, food, Gas, Oil, mortgage rates, is there anything out there that isn't going up in price....??

£100 to fill up a Car would be staggering but if what you say is true then something HAS to be done, people can't keep accepting these price increases, people shouldn't BE ABLE to afford these price increases!! :mad:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I don't want this to become a rant about the Government and the state of the UK at present but things are just getting out of hand! Fuel, food, Gas, Oil, mortgage rates, is there anything out there that isn't going up in price....??

£100 to fill up a Car would be staggering but if what you say is true then something HAS to be done, people can't keep accepting these price increases, people shouldn't BE ABLE to afford these price increases!! :mad:
Sorry for jacking the thread, most people can't afford the price increases...I'm not so sure if i'll be able to run my car if they hit the £1.50 a litre mark....that 2.0 A5 TFSI Quattro is looking very tempting as the days go by.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
im just hacked off that i work my ass out to help get it out the ground then i spend alot of my wages i earn on fuel something just isnt right there lol!!! it sucks the boaby big time :D

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm no expert on this subject so please excuse my ignorance if I say something that is obvious to other people? ;)

I can understand why Petrol prices have gone up so rapidly in recent times what with Oil prices going up etc but WHY have Diesel prices gone up even further as these aren't linked in any way are they?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm no expert on this subject so please excuse my ignorance if I say something that is obvious to other people? ;)

I can understand why Petrol prices have gone up so rapidly in recent times what with Oil prices going up etc but WHY have Diesel prices gone up even further as these aren't linked in any way are they?
please shout at me if im incorrect in saying so but isnt it more expensive because of the law requiring it to be 15 ppm or less, (ppm is parts per million). in turn, it has to be more refined, hence the price increase. (check me being a geek lol)

·
Registered
636 Posts
it sucks the boaby big time
LOL. Brilliant Jen, I've not heard that phrase since I moved away from Scotland. You gave me a great chuckle on an otherwise dull afternoon.

:):):)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts