Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just ordered an S5 and I was wondering how long it takes to get one? The dealer told me that I should get it in October.Thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I somehow find that, unless you took over someones previous order, very very unlikely. Even if the day you ordered your car (lets just say today/night, Aug 19th as an example), your order was "released to the manufacturer," then you may be able to get your S5 by last days of October. As it will, if everything goes to planned and there are no delays, take my car, as well as most S5s, 72 days from my order's "release to manufacturer" date to the day I pick up the car. And as I ordered my S5, from the largest Audi dealership in the world, on Jan 10th, I ended up waiting 6 months and 10 days for my order to be officially "released to the manufacturer" for building. So, as I said, unless you took over someone previous order, or that you are one of the first people to order an S5 for many months at a very large Audi dealership, I find it highly suspect that you will get your car by October. Also, don't think that what your dealer says is fact... my dealer told me when I put my deposit down that I would see my S5 in April, and then when April rolled around, then it was August, and then finally at the end of July I was told that my car would defiantly come by the end of September, which is the Audi official ETA date for pick up, but that is only if there are no delays in building (which should start around the 25th of this month), shipping, transporting or prepping it at the dealer. I do hope that you get your S5 in October, but don't be surprised if you don't end up seeing it until March, or even later if you have to wait like I did.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Depends on location. The dealer timescale is right for Europe. (i ordered mine 18th Aug last year and got it 8th Oct). Its probably well off if its US.

Can you update your profile to show location please.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ordered mine in July and they indicate I will receive in Mid-Oct. Audi of Escondidio, CA. I believe they have an Ibis White that has been sitting on the showroom floor for awhile.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I guess my situation was pretty unusual. I started making inquiries to several Audi dealers in the Washington DC / Baltimore area in March regarding the S5...was discouraged to hear that the car would take 6-12 months...so even though I put my name on several waiting lists...looking for a Tiptronic...after several weeks I had pretty much forgotten about it. In about mid April, I got a call from a dealer just North of Baltimore who said that he had an allocation for me in May for a Tip if I wanted it. Apparently this dealership got a manual and a Tip allocation for May, and of course the manual was snapped right up by the first guy on the list...but those in front of me on the list passed on the tip so I got it.

Basically put down a $500 deposit...Got the May allocation...car was built in Mid June and I took delivery on 25 July.

Probably the single biggest reason I was able to get a car in basically 3 months was that I wanted a tip and put my name on a list at the time they had just started making/selling them.

Sometimes you luck out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
how lucky...i put down $2000 deposit...and apparently there are 4 ppl in front of me who ALL want TIP.....
09 S5 Phantom B/B/FUlly Load + Audi drive select.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Would this be a bad time to admit that I emailed the dealer in February 2008 and had the car a few days later?? Sort of like winning the lottery, except that I had to fork over the $$

·
Registered
12 Posts
got mine in about three days

I got an e-mail from the dealer (Rockville) on a Wednesday or Thursday letting me know someone dropped out of their contract. Went in that day with my A6, decided that night to trade it in, and picked up the S5 the following Monday when it was delivered. It was a tip, which was not my preference, but I figured I could live with it (and it helped with my wife, who can't really drive a manual).

When I picked it up from the dealer, a woman there complimented me on the car and asked how long I waited. I told the story and she said she wasn't going to repeat it to her husband, who waited seven months for his.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Timing can be a matter of luck...in my case I placed my order in Mid May and received the car in the 1st week of Aug. It was a situation where someone backed out of their order and I was still able to reconfigure the car. Other dealers when I shopped in May stated 6mo wait for a new order.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It was all luck for me. When I cold called I was told I could be in an S5 in March, 2009. That was all well and good, except my lease was up May, 2008 and I needed new wheels. Salesman mentioned that someone was having trouble pulling the trigger because they couldn't get out of their current lease without a big $$ penalty. They called me two days later and said the guy bailed and it was mine if I wanted it, because it was sitting at the dealer collecting dust. I actually took official delivery February 29 but didn't pick the car up until the beginning of May. That was torture..

·
Registered
457 Posts
I got mine on luck as well. Had an order put in at my local stealership, eta June 2008 (Sprint Blue), stumbled upon an Ibis White in Las Vegas...made a call, played fax tag for a bit, had it caravanned up to NorCal, and had the S5 in less than a week.

There is great probability of pple backing out on their orders, I saw a Meteor Gray on Magma, Tip available not too long ago when I brought my car in for service...original buyer backed out, dealer was asking MSRP.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
There is great probability of pple backing out on their orders,
Yep, that's exactly how I acquired my S5 last week. :) Got very lucky when I stumbled upon one where a buyer decided not to take delivery.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine was an allocation, and I got it a couple of days within inquiring about it. And it was exactly the car that I had wanted, so I can say that I got pretty damn lucky.

·
Registered
204 Posts
mine took a litte over 6 months from order to delivery.
I think that is pretty close to what you can expect.
If the dealer happen to have an unsold allocation that they just need to change the order then I think 3-4 months is about the fastest you can get an ordered car.

Tonny

·
Registered
11 Posts
The typical production turnaround on an of our ordered cars is 90 days unless there are issues with equipment that is not available from the factory; currently S Line Package and 19" Wheels are not available for ordering on the A5s since they share many of these parts with the 2009 A4.

When we order every month, the allocation shows how many of each model to order along with an ETA; that is almost always 90 days, except for R8.

We do happen to have an S5 due in the first week of October that became available because a customer got another car from us earlier. Here are the specs:

2009 S5 6 Speed Manual
> Ibis White/Black Leather
> Navigation
> Technology Package
> Stainless Steel Inlays
> This car will be sold at MSRP, which is around $58,800

If you have any questions about this car, feel free to drop me a line at [email protected].

·
Registered
384 Posts
90 days is only applicable if you have the first allocation from the dealership... Otherwise hell no.

·
Registered
11 Posts
90 days is only applicable if you have the first allocation from the dealership... Otherwise hell no.
That is incorrect. If we get allocation for 3 cars, all 3 cars have an ETA of the same month, although they may be a week or so apart.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A week or so more is more than 90 days :)

And I'll be damned if you have 3 S5 allocations available at the same time. That is unless they seriously upped the production since the summer.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts