Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

I was wondering how long after placing your order for your A5 did it take to get a VIN?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You only get a VIN after your car has been built at the factory. Having said that, the time it takes to receive a VIN from the point an order was placed will vary greatly. It all comes down to when the dealership has an allocation available to get your car produced.

So, when you see all these posts from folks who have a 9-10 month wait, for example, they won't be getting their VIN numbers from their dealers until 9 or so months down the road (i.e., after the factory has updated the ordering system with the VIN number once the car has been produced).

On the flipside, if a dealership already has an allocation for a car to be produced in the next few weeks, then getting the VIN number will obviously not take as long under that scenario.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I should be getting my VIN by the end of the week, since it's in build as we speak. Having said that, I ordered that car on March 15th, 2008, so it has taken four months to get the VIN.

My personal experience

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information, I know understand how this works. My CA told me he had allocations for 2009 and should take about 4 weeks to get a VIN. I'm starting to realize this will not be the case and atleast now know what to expect.

amazing

·
Registered
122 Posts
I spoke to my dealer tonight (Mission Viejo), and was told that they do not get a VIN until the car is built and passes inspection. My car has apparently been built, but has not been inspected yet. It's a bit odd as well, because the car has been in production for the last two weeks, which is a little long according to the dealer - it should have already been inspected.

The "on boat" date has also changed twice from 6/21 to 6/25, and then again today I was told it changed from 6/25 to 7/4. So, right now my trends aren't making me too happy. I know that there's nothing that the dealer can do...I was really bummed because I was hoping to get the car mid to late July and now it's looking like earliest would be early to mid August. Of course, there's always the chance that some of the dates get tightened up. Just finish the thing and inspect it already!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I read somewhere that building an A5 takes from start to finish about two-three days. People have reported their car on the train/boat in less than a week from the start of building. Hence a car "in production" for a few weeks sounds like it either didn't go to production when scheduled (dealer had wrong info?) or that it is sitting in quality control waiting for some part that is missing/didn't pass the tests.

I read last year Audi had a lot of cars apparently sitting in quality control that had manual sport seats (Euro-spec) with some issues, they replaced them with electric seats free of charge to get the cars moving again. The customers were given the choice of free electric seats or a long wait to get the manual seats while the car sits there almost finished waiting for a fix for those seats. So, these things happen sometimes.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The "on boat" date has also changed twice from 6/21 to 6/25, and then again today I was told it changed from 6/25 to 7/4. So, right now my trends aren't making me too happy.
I went through the exact same mental torture with my "vessel load" date changing at least 3 times. Also, my car was in "production" status for weeks (likely due to the holidays and perhaps issues being discovered during quality control), so it seemed like an eternity before I got my VIN. It was quite frustrating to keep seeing those dates get pushed out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How often does your sales person update you on the status of your order?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
There is no standard. It just depends on the dealer you get. Mine kept me updated every couple of weeks, and sometimes more frequently if there was new information to be provided.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is no standard. It just depends on the dealer you get. Mine kept me updated every couple of weeks, and sometimes more frequently if there was new information to be provided.
My dealer has been doing the same, every couple of weeks usually, and in certain circumstances several times over a few days.

I just want to find out if it's actually been built. I think that TXcarguy may be correct - maybe there's something going on during the build process or the QC has found problems.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered on March 3, got filled against one of my dealer's open Feb allocations (order was in 'factory order bank' status from day 1), built and inspected during week starting April 21 and got VIN on May 1. Dealer delievered eta was June 30, but actual delivery on June 11. My personal experience and incredible luck -- ofcourse great dealer too. Got timely updates and honored every aspect of the predetermined deal.

Now just lovin the car... :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts